Lot 40 Canadian Rye

Pikesville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After reading a good deal of online hype I took the plunge and picked up a bottle of the Lot 40 Canadian Rye, 2012 release ($60). It's an all-rye mashbill (90% rye, 10% malted rye), age statement unknown but it's not a total baby. Classic rye nose, with more floral scents than I normally get from Canadian 100% rye mashbills (Jeff10, WP). They also avoid the mint-bomb effect that 100% rye can bring out. Flavor was sweeter than I expected- not overwhelmingly so but a balance to the rye spices that was really nice. How did they get that without any corn? Finish was long and lip-smacking, mind shouting "take another sip!".

This may sound crazy but it reminded me of a younger version of the Saz 18. There's a nice balance of sweet and spice, all the flavors are more dialed-up but not aggressively so. I'm very happy at $60, not sure how available this is or if it will be around, would love to see it regularly on shelves / bars.

Saw a few of these on the shelf a few days ago, but opted for 8y old scout intstead. Will definately go back for it soon.

I had to "settle" for Wiser's Legacy recently but have been casually looking for a Lot 40 for a couple months. Please PM me if you know of a store in WashDC that carries it. I can't find one. TIA

I had to "settle" for Wiser's Legacy recently but have been casually looking for a Lot 40 for a couple months.

If you like the Legacy, I think you will love the Lot 40. I was told by Don Livermore (master blender) that the Legacy contains a significant amount of the same whisky that makes up the Lot 40.

If you like the Legacy, I think you will love the Lot 40. I was told by Don Livermore (master blender) that the Legacy contains a significant amount of the same whisky that makes up the Lot 40.

More good news as I have a Wiser's Legacy in the same shipment as the Lot 40.

Harry, Caskers has the Lot 40 (if they ship to where you live).

One of the best "young" ryes available today. I was surprised at how good this is, and it completely lives up to the hype. Something to bunker if you can.

And yes, Legacy is not too shabby either. I'm stashing those away also.

B

I had to "settle" for Wiser's Legacy recently but have been casually looking for a Lot 40 for a couple months. Please PM me if you know of a store in WashDC that carries it. I can't find one. TIA

Pikesville: thanks for the notes. I was deciding b/n Wiser's Legacy and Lot 40 a month ago, and went for Wiser's, based on price. You've got me thinking I might go back for Lot 40.

I didn't care for Wiser's Legacy when I first opened it--too bland. I came back a month later, and it's now one of my favorite open bottles. Not sure if the bottle changed, or I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one of these over the weekend and have had a few pours.

My dad is a Canadian whiskey drinker so I gave him a bottle of the 90s Lot no 40 release for his birthday last spring and we drank some together. I remember that version having some really nice clove-anise on the finish, starting a few seconds after swallowing. This new version doesn't have those same notes, but is still nice.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but this whiskey could be pretty great at high proof. As it is, I wouldn't buy it again at $55, but I do like it for a lighter pour.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but this whiskey could be pretty great at high proof. As it is, I wouldn't buy it again at $55, but I do like it for a lighter pour.

I hear you brother!

Given that most of the swill on the Canadian shelf is bottled at 40%, and the glacial pace the industry moves at, 43% is an accomplishment! I too would love to see it at the same strength (45%) as its sibling - Wiser's Legacy.

• 1 month later...

I find Lot 40 to be an excellent 100% rye. The taste differences between the 100% rye WhistlePig or Masterson's - as compared to the 100% Lot 40 - shows the skill and art of the blender/distiller.

Since I'm in MI, across the river from Windsor, Ont., I can fairly easily pop across the border and pick up a bottle for ~ US $40. I'm glad to see that it's now distributed in the U.S. (at least, in some states), but unfortunately at a much higher price point (~$60).

Shell

I find Lot 40 to be an excellent 100% rye. The taste differences between the 100% rye WhistlePig or Masterson's - as compared to the 100% Lot 40 - shows the skill and art of the blender/distiller.

Since I'm in MI, across the river from Windsor, Ont., I can fairly easily pop across the border and pick up a bottle for ~ US $40. I'm glad to see that it's now distributed in the U.S. (at least, in some states), but unfortunately at a much higher price point (~$60).

Shell

I may be washed up here but I thought I read somewhere the mashbill was 90/10 rye/malted barley.

It's 90% rye and 10% malted rye. That makes me wonder if WhistlePig also has a small % of malted rye though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know anything about non-2012 branded Lot 40's? I picked up a bottle, but doesn't mention 2012 like other reviews/descriptions.

This is probably a bottle from one of the earlier years' production. All Lot 40 is very similar, in fact I just bought a bottle of the 2012 that reminded me of Lot 40 from 10 years ago. Perhaps as the stocks are selling well, recent bottlings are from younger batches and the taste is coming around to what it was originally. (The first 2012 bottles struck me as older-tasting than the bottles of 10-15 years ago). Anyway, it doesn't matter, you have a bottle of the genuine and that's all that matters.

Gary

This is probably a bottle from one of the earlier years' production. All Lot 40 is very similar, in fact I just bought a bottle of the 2012 that reminded me of Lot 40 from 10 years ago. Perhaps as the stocks are selling well, recent bottlings are from younger batches and the taste is coming around to what it was originally. (The first 2012 bottles struck me as older-tasting than the bottles of 10-15 years ago). Anyway, it doesn't matter, you have a bottle of the genuine and that's all that matters.

Gary

Well it's hard to say, maybe the ones being marketed (from latest stocks) have the 2012 removed. But the whisky itself will be very good.

Gary

Def dif than the one I have from 99 or whenever. Guess the newer ones dropped the 2012 from the label.

9u2yve6u.jpg

Thx for posting your old bottle.

Perhaps it is expected to be an ongoing release and they decided to move away from a label with a specific date on it as a result.

Perhaps it is expected to be an ongoing release and they decided to move away from a label with a specific date on it as a result.

That seems a good assumption. If the famed 2012 stuff is gone, it would be interesting to see a comparison. I picked this up at Weiland's Market in Columbus, FWIW.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.