Lot 40 Canadian Rye

Pikesville
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wonder if it's just so folks don't think it's old product sitting on the shelf? I admit, I'd read 2012 and think it was a slow mover if I didn't know better.

• 1 month later...

Flaminiom, what is the number in the upper left-hand corner of the label? I just bought a newly-stocked bottle of the '2012 Release' and it's number is 864597. Just wondering if we can gain some insight on that basis. Also, did your bottle have a hang-tag? Mine has a double-round tag with 'Canadian Whisky of the Year 2012' (Whisky Advocate) and some 2013 accolades inside.

Edited by MauiSon

• 2 months later...

I got one of these a few months ago while up in Canada.

Not a 2012 therefore, so maybe it's a batch difference, but this one wasn't my bag. To me, it was kind of flat tasting. I'm still waiting for a 100% rye to do it for me, I guess. Probably experience will lead my palate in a direction where I am more able to appreciate this. Until then, I suppose I like my corn-mixed mashbills.

I have a co-worker who buys a bottle for me every time they go home. This is the first Canadian product I really enjoy.

I got one of these a few months ago while up in Canada.

Not a 2012 therefore, so maybe it's a batch difference, but this one wasn't my bag. To me, it was kind of flat tasting. I'm still waiting for a 100% rye to do it for me, I guess. Probably experience will lead my palate in a direction where I am more able to appreciate this. Until then, I suppose I like my corn-mixed mashbills.

I have a bottle of the 2012 and find it to be like you describe - too flat. Not enough rye kick for me. As for 100% ryes, I enjoy the EHT quite a bit, but there's the price consideration.

I have a bottle of Lot 40. I bought it because of many positive things said on this forum. But I was very disappointed. It's among the my least favorite ryes in my bar. I expect my bottle will be around for years to come.

I think he's referring to Col. EH Taylor Straight Rye Whiskey. It's made by Buffalo Trace (KY) and is BIB. It sells for $60-75 usually. Look in locked cases or the VERY top shelf for the distinctive cardboard tube with the yellow label.

I have a bottle of the 2012 and find it to be like you describe - too flat. Not enough rye kick for me. As for 100% ryes, I enjoy the EHT quite a bit, but there's the price consideration.

A classic case of Rare Label Influence.

So this happens to wily veterans too?:) Thanks for your comments - good to hear it's not just me.

At the same time I purchased this one, I also got the Wiser's Legacy. That one I do like. I'd love it at a higher proof, but as it is there's some good rye flavor going on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.