PHC 2014 - 13 yr Wheat Whisky

final442
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My first taste of Bernheim Wheat was underwhelming, but a sample this summer at my Dad's (a bottle that had been open for several months at least I believe) was better than I expected. Still not going to be my "go to", but confirmed I will "buy on sight" this PHC if given the chance before I have tried it.

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on release date and expected price?

This fall and too damned high!

:cool:

I tried it at Tales of the Cocktail at the aforementioned tasting room. I liked it more than the stardard Bernheim Wheat at 7 years, but probably won't be shelling out for a bottle at the usual PHC prices.

I tried it at Tales of the Cocktail at the aforementioned tasting room. I liked it more than the stardard Bernheim Wheat at 7 years, but probably won't be shelling out for a bottle at the usual PHC prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be hitting stores now (already has at some places). I love this. Totally unique, and delicious.

Full notes at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2014/09/16/2014-parkers-heritage-collection-wheat-whiskey/

The nose? Toasty oak is quite prominent, in a very nice way. There’s a good jolt of Bit-O-Honey, with dark caramel and vanilla also coming on pretty strong. I also get a plum and dark berry fruitiness to it, that leads into hints of an oaky cabernet, even some Chateauneuf de Pape. Intriguing stuff. A touch of water softens the sweetness and amps up the warm oak, plus brings out a background buzz of herbal spiciness that seems almost rye-like (crazy, I wouldn’t expect it from wheat, but there it is).

Neat… as expected… this is really strong, but in a pleasing way. Tingly and soft at once, with a long cinnamon spice finish. The high proof works, and you can slowly sip this without fear. But a bit of water brings out the sweet depths in this whiskey and accentuates the nice balance between the many elements at play, with enough dark caramel and honey to please any bourbon fan for sure. The time in the barrel has rendered this far richer than many may expect from a wheat whiskey (regular Bernheim is known for being on the lighter side).

Even better than adding a touch of water, a single ice cube works some magic here as it slowly cools and dissolves into the whiskey. The texture becomes thicker, lightly syrupy even, and the whiskey performs a tremendous tightrope walk of wood and spice and sweetness and grain and heat. I just want to chew and chew on it, and the long slow finish keeps you coming back for more. It gets more delicate, lightly floral, smoother and even chewier as the ice seeps into it, never reaching the point of being too watery. And as the ice settles in, it skirts into a more Scotch-like territory, with prominent grain notes coming forward (as in a lighter, more floral and fruity Scotch, nothing smoky or peaty here). The cooled down finish carries mellow and warm grain plus tinges of cinnamon red hots at the end.

After enjoying the glass with an ice cube, I go back to a neat sip and that Bit-O-Honey pops out strong again. The range of expression here is crazy and fascinating. This is a drink well worthy of exploration.

There’s a good chance my love of this will be an outlier vs. others’ opinions. Is a thirteen year old barrel proof wheat whiskey going to be everyone’s cup of tea? No. Actually, I doubt anyone out there has ever tasted a thirteen year old barrel proof wheat whiskey. But this is remarkable and interesting stuff for any whiskey fan. And entirely unique. The extra age and the extra proof give this wheat whiskey an intriguing combination of wood and grain. Parker’s Heritage Collection has turned out a real winner here – something different, something stellar. Highly recommended if you can find a bottle, and the $90 recommended price is not bad at all for whiskey of this caliber.

Actually, I doubt anyone out there has ever tasted a thirteen year old barrel proof wheat whiskey.

Has there ever been such a product, or even something close?

I think Stitzel-Weller did a limited run 15 year old 107 proof (maybe it was 114 proof) way back when but we'd be hard pressed to even find someone today who actually tasted it.

Really? I hadn't realized that, or had forgotten. One of the advantages of age induced memory loss is you can pretend to have forgotten stuff you didn't know in the first place.

Really? I hadn't realized that, or had forgotten. One of the advantages of age induced memory loss is you can pretend to have forgotten stuff you didn't know in the first place.

Something to look forward to.

I've not tasted it, but there is the Masterson's 12 year old wheat whiskey @100 proof... And I suppose I should throw this in here: http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2013/10/canada-week-part-i-mastersons-barley.html

Bruce has or had a bottle of the Masterson's stuff. I'm sure it could show up at the next GBS gathering. I recall when I tasted it, it was about as boring of a whiskey as I had ever had. No complexity, almost no flavor.

Bruce has or had a bottle of the Masterson's stuff. I'm sure it could show up at the next GBS gathering. I recall when I tasted it, it was about as boring of a whiskey as I had ever had. No complexity, almost no flavor.

Yes, very light and unremarkable.

For anyone in Louisville that feels this is worth a try. Costco has about 20 bottles on the shelf. I passed, but just left the store so I know for a fact they are there right now. $86

Had the chance to sample this offering at the Gazebo Saturday evening. Thanx Josh!

When tasted neat, I found it mainly hot alcohol burn; but water opened opened up the palate and the nose quite a bit, as well as taming the burn. Different from Bourbon, for sure; but interesting and worth the sampling.

I'm glad I have one of my own now to sample in greater depth later.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to pick one of these up today but probably won't crack it open for a few weeks. Parker hasn't let me down yet.

This one sounds great! For those who have seen this in Indy, what is the going rate?

Only official price I've seen is $94.99 at one store that didn't have it out yet, but had an inventory entry for it. I would expect most places here to price it right at $99.99.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.