Schweppes Indian Tonic

squire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Am I right in assuming your domestic version is made with high fructose corn syrup and the schweppes is an import made with cane sugar? We get the schweppes indian tonic here, its a standard/classic for gin and tonics and is all I could want for out of a tonic water.

Yes, the use of sugar is the primary difference I have in mind though I understand there may be a few other changes in the formula around the World.

Thats interesting, I wonder what they are and what factors drive the changes. Local tastes, regulated or banned ingredients, availability or quality of ingredients? Kind of interesting to see how processed food/drink varies between nations.

On the topic of sugar, I forget when guys from the USA talk about mixing bourbon that the mixer will most likely be made with corn syrup, quite a different experience I imagine. Gonna pick up some coke and gjnger ale from an american food store and take a walk in someone elses shoes.

The Coca-cola bottler in Cleveland uses cane sugar and not corn sweetener in Coke. I'm not a sugary soft drink consumer so I can't tell the difference.

I will check the Schweppes tonic here to see who the bottler is. Perhaps they use sugar as well.

I expect breakup of the company had a lot to do with it. In the US Schweppes is bottled by Pepsi but in India and other parts of the World it's made by Coca-Cola.

Locally we can get Pepsi made with sugar but not Coke.

Over here schweppes is owned by Asahi and distributes/produces under license Pepsi, gatorade, monster etc as well as its own products along with a few local brands they aquired.

Corn syrup sweetened soda to me is overly sweet and not as clean as cane, side by side the differences are easy to spot.

If you want a good tonic, but some Fevertree brand - nothing artificial and it will change they way you think about a Gin and Tonic (or did so for me). Another good one is Q Tonic.

I ran across a review comparing those two and they sound pretty interesting. What's the price in your area?

I ran across a review comparing those two and they sound pretty interesting. What's the price in your area?

Fevertree is about $2 for 500ml bottle or $5 for a 4 pack of some smaller size bottles (I think around 6oz). Q Tonic is a little higher. I used to buy this at Specs, but recently my local grocery store, HEB, started carrying both of these.

The biggest difference between tonic water brands is the use of sugar vs. HFCS and quinine vs. quinine flavoring. I've always assumed the big labels don't use real quinine (at least in the US), but that may be a false assumption. Q Tonic is quite good if you want the tonic water to have an actual flavor presence in a mixed drink.

None of that locally of course but I'll look around in Memphis next time I'm there.

Squire, my local Winn Dixie started carrying Fevertree within the last couple years. I'm in a small rural town in AL.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying a superb Manhattan, made with a complex blend of bourbons, U.S. and small batch Canadian ryes, Martini vermouth and different kinds of bitters including the regular Fees one which has a wild cherry taste IMO.

This is very much like a fine port, and in a blind taste test might be mistaken for a good port I think. I wonder if the Manhattan was invented as a port substitute.

Gary

If the Schweppes Indian Tonic is anything like Fevertree Indian Tonic, it will be very good. I often find regular tonic too sweet and Fevertree's Indian version is drier. It's my go-to for a summer g and t and lime. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll start looking for the Schweppes.

-Mike

The Indian tonic in the UK is lightyears beyond what we get in the states. It's my go-to tonic when I am in London and an exceptional product (better than Fevertree and Q Tonic in my book). The US version of it, sadly, sucks.

Have been trying several of the "special" Tonics over the last several months, and I've concluded that for my GnT's, the Publix Supermarket brand is just fine...

And, I ain't got malaria, neither! :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.