High West Bug Juice? Midwinter Night's Dram

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

More information here:

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/a-midwinter-nights-dram/

Midsummer-Nights-Dram-web-1.png

A limited release of Rendezvous® Rye finished in port and French oak barrels.

This is a very unique rye whiskey that tastes like the flavors of Christmas.

The name is a play on Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. When we first tasted this special whiskey, it seemed perfect for a really cold night, hence, A Midwinter Night’s Dram.

Nose: The rye forms a beautiful base of vanilla, caramel and cinnamon; the port barrels enhance with plums and dried fruits; the French oak provides a spice accent.

Taste: A proper Christmas plum pudding with lovely mulling spices, dried fruits, and crème anglaise.

Finish: Long and fruity

Class & Type: A blend of straight rye whiskeys, finished in port and French oak barrels.

Proof: 98.6

Mashbill: 6-year old straight rye whiskey: 95% rye and 5% barley malt. The 16-year old straight rye: 80% rye, 10% corn, 10% barley malt.

I respect high west for what they do. I know there will be lots of people (rightfully) who buy and enjoy this. It's a pass for me though. I'm just not a "finished" or "experimental" whiskey guy for the most part. Carry on...

I'm not a fan of finished products either, but most of them don't start with such a solid base. This is one I'm looking forward too.

Had an opportunity to sample. It's tasty. I'm definitely in for 1.

I guess they're hoping to get some spill over from the BTAC and Van Winkle fall releases, but I'd appreciate it if some of these distilleries would give my wallet a break and release in the Spring.

I guess they're hoping to get some spill over from the BTAC and Van Winkle fall releases, but I'd appreciate it if some of these distilleries would give my wallet a break and release in the Spring.

Hahaha, so agree with this. It's never the January holiday credit card bill i fear, its the November and December "i swear i didn't realize i bought so many bottles" bill that makes my stomach drop.

I just hope the retail bottle matches the sample we got to try (thanks to Bill!). If it does then it should be some good drinking!

I just hope the retail bottle matches the sample we got to try (thanks to Bill!). If it does then it should be some good drinking!

I enjoy the Rendezvous as well. Definitely look forward to giving this a try in the Fall

I don't think I can wait until October

I'm with you! Having tried the sample Bill brought, I've thought about how to get out to Park City (as I believe it is available at their gift shop). But that's a helluva detour from the bourbon trail :lol: I'm typically not a finished whiskey guy either (HHSS being a notable exception). The PHC Cognac wasn't one of my favs. But I thought this was a really interesting pour. Reminded me of AE rye in that when it hit my tongue I thought "holy crap - never had anything quite like this before!"

I'm going to have to visit my parents in SLC sooner rather than later after reading your impressions of that sample!

I'm going to have to visit my parents in SLC sooner rather than later after reading your impressions of that sample!

I can't speak for the group, but I don't recall anyone spitting it out (and most seemed to like it quite a bit). Although as Bruce points out - we can only hope the retail will match what the sample was (I believe the proof is a bit off - the sample Bill brought was at 101.6, so hopefully the loss of 3 proof points won't alter it much).

I loved it too. The finish was a lot more subtle to me than the AE rye, which I thought was overly sweet. The bug juice was still rye forward but with a really nice sweet finish that is not cloying. I will be buying this for sure.

• 6 months later...

A semi-local guy got it in yesterday. I asked him if they had gotten anything else so I could bundle some bottles to kill some of the shipping costs. He said email him next week, and now they're all sold out :(. Hopefully he set aside a bottle for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just opened my bottle. Very unique whiskey here. I can really taste that port wine. Very sweet. Water helps better mute the port which I prefer. Verdict on this juice is still pending for me. I like it, but do I love it?

Picked up 2 bottles this weekend. Down to the last drops of the 2 I got when they only had it available in the gift shop.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.