Canadian Whiskey Tasting Glass?

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I came across this set of Canadian Whiskey tasting glasses, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LS8FT4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BD8G19RPQGAXR5N49EC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846, on Amazon looking for a gift for a friend thats sent me some business recently. Will probably be going to with a more traditional glass for the gift, but I'm a bit intrigued for me with it actually being from Glencarin and thinking it might work really well for bourbon and ryes.

I usually just do a standard rocks glass, and I know plenty of yall use the Glencarin scotch glasses, and I've seen a few mention brandy snifters, but never anything about this.

Anyone tried them? I wish I could get a single, but honestly the price of the set isn't too out of line of a try-out price so I might just give it a go myself if not one has.

I have one. It's not my preferred glass but it is nice.

Don't leave us hanging, what is your preferred?

I have a couple of those, they are not as easy to drink from as a straight sided low ball glass but they are nice and seem to hold the aroma in better. Mine have the Canadian leaf on the bottom also.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

i'll choose one of these when I'm drinking (Canadian, Bourbon or Rye) with ice. Trying to squeeze a cube into a regular Glencairn is no good. And as Thig says, a low ball glass doesn't hold the aroma as well. I don't find them difficult to drink from, quite the opposite. The bowl does a nice job of holding the ice and letting the whiskey flow over.

When drinking neat, a regular Glencairn is better.

This is my regular glass and I like it. I use the regular Glencairn for tasting new bourbons, but use the Canadian one as my everyday glass because I just fine it easier to sip from and it does hold the aroma better than a rocks glass.

This is my regular glass and I like it.

I actually got a set of four of these from a friend. I use them all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a couple of the larger glasses acquired from a local distillery. I didn't know they were designated for Canadian whisky by Glencairn. Anyway, I do like these glasses for every day drinking, especially when I want to cool down a "hot" barrel proof pour with 5-10 minutes of rest in the glass.

My wife actually gifted me this with handles of BT and WT101 for Valentine's. At first, I didn't really love the look... but I gave it a shot, and quite enjoyed using it.

The Glencairn is a bit too small, while this one is a bit too large (and I could do without the Canadian Maple Leaf logo). I think my preferred glass is a brandy snifter... though I haven't had one in several months since my lovely wife accidentally broke it. But the standard Glencairn, Canadian, and rocks glasses all are go-to glasses based on mood.

This Canadian variation is nice for swirling your whiskey around. Lots of breathing room and the exaggerated tulip form traps the juice in well... no worries of spills. :)

any of you guys use lead crystal glasses? Ive been looking at some antiques on ebay, but am unsure of the safety. I know, they say that anything is safe in them for short periods of time, but the idea of slowly poisoning myself isnt the greatest. Might barrel proofers leech the lead quicker? Mostly, I am talking about the truly old antique lead crystal glasses.

any of you guys use lead crystal glasses? Ive been looking at some antiques on ebay, but am unsure of the safety. I know, they say that anything is safe in them for short periods of time, but the idea of slowly poisoning myself isnt the greatest. Might barrel proofers leech the lead quicker? Mostly, I am talking about the truly old antique lead crystal glasses.

Doug, there are multiple threads on that very subject, here. You can search and find loads of info.

Ive seen the threads on glazed decanters leaching lead, but not any really on crystal lead glass.

You can search more for what you need or open a new thread.

Threadjacking this one isn't where you want to go.

You can search more for what you need or open a new thread.

Threadjacking this one isn't where you want to go.

since some of what I was looking at were old Crown Royal glasses, I dont consider it threadjacking, since it is a canadian whiskey tasting glass......

I'd bet there are Candian whiskey glasses with lead in them.

4I, you can always go ahead and get but don't use them until later in life when you suspect a little lead isn't going make much difference any way.

Im kind of more interested if antique crystal lead has more of a risk than modern crystal lead glasses. I doubt theres any significant risk to sipping a 100-120 proof 1-2oz shot over 30 minutes a day....but if the antiques were worse about it, I wouldnt get them.

Im kind of more interested if antique crystal lead has more of a risk than modern crystal lead glasses. I doubt theres any significant risk to sipping a 100-120 proof 1-2oz shot over 30 minutes a day....but if the antiques were worse about it, I wouldnt get them.

I'm guessing that the older those glasses that you're considering are, the more people who drank from them are in fact, dead...Coincidence?!?!?!?

I'm guessing that the older those glasses that you're considering are, the more people who drank from them are in fact, dead...Coincidence?!?!?!?

Im guessing you dont do statistical correlations......:lol: but, that was pretty funny!

I usually prefer a Gelncairn, but am starting to prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/6416-Vinum-Single-Malt-Whisky/dp/B000MYFXG0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393309544&sr=8-2&keywords=riedel+whiskey+glasses

However those Canadian glasses could make great glasses when I want a bourbon on ice :)

Just got a set of those and really like them. I was told Riedel dropped the "bourbon" glass from their line in favor of these.

• 2 weeks later...
I usually prefer a Gelncairn, but am starting to prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/6416-Vinum-Single-Malt-Whisky/dp/B000MYFXG0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393309544&sr=8-2&keywords=riedel+whiskey+glasses

However those Canadian glasses could make great glasses when I want a bourbon on ice :)

I've been seeing more and more people use these at tastings. Need to pick up a set.

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of these glasses a couple of months ago. I've tried a fair number of pours with it, and honestly cannot find anything that I prefer in it over a rocks glass.

I find that it tends to accentuates the alcohol and bitterness at the expense everything else. Maybe by design do to Canadian stuff generally being lower proof and that being a positive trait?

Does anyone have a pour that they enjoy significantly more in these glasses than others?

I use a Glencairn if I am tasting, and a rocks glass for Old Fashions and Manhattans. Otherwise these Canadian Glencairns are my go to glass for regular pours. I like the size and weight. Plus you get a lot of the benefits of a standard Glencairn but in a larger glass.

FYI I picked up both my standard and Canadian Glencairns at Crate and Barrel. They sell them individually, so you are not stuck with a whole set if you don't like them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.