Makers Mark

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Being new to the board, I've noticed a lack of notes on MM; with comments by Linn that he does not like it. Could you tell me why? Noticed Chuck alluding to posting on MM board and see if answers would be forthcoming. All in all some history that I can't trace. Where can I find comments on tasting or whatever..or should I just dislike those a holes? ?

I don't recall what information I was trying to get from Maker's Mark, but I don't think I ever got it.

It has become fashionable to dis MM. I'm not referring to Linn, who simply doesn't like it and who generally doesn't like wheat-based bourbons.

Maker's is kind of a funny story, the rebel upstart who succeeds and becomes, in effect, the very establishment it was rebelling against.

I liken Maker's to Jack Daniel's. Both position themselves as "premium" when they really aren't. They're no better than Jim Beam, but manage to command a better price (which must drive the brain trust in Deerfield nuts).

At least for the domestic audience, and with a couple of minor exceptions, MM has stuck to a "one product" policy, the only distiller who has. I think they would get more respect, at least here on Straight Bourbon, if they would offer some selected, extra age/extra proof products, to give us a chance to see what they are really capable of producing.

That's the main reason you don't hear much about MM here. There's no news. We've all tried it. We like it or we don't, and that's it. They don't give us much to talk about.

And you don't have to dislike them. With the exception of some half-hearted tour guides who have been berated here, they're all nice people down in Loretto.

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,

I agree with what you said except that I will say that there at least 20 or 30 bourbons that I like less than Maker's Mark and I can't say that for Jack Daniels. With that said, bourbon is a matter of taste and there is no wrong answer as long as you are buying the taste that you like and that includes Jack Daniel's drinkers.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

The only "deficiency" (undesirable attribute, based on my preferences) I've noted in MM, is that there is a very distinct, rather jarring "shift" from full, rich sweetness to bone dryness as the whiskey slides down your throat. The dryness has a kind of "vegetal" (grassy, viney) flavor too, that I don't find appealing. Before the "shift" hits, I'm perfectly happy with the experience. And I am normally QUITE fond of wheaters (W.L. Weller 10 and the Van Winkles, particularly). For my own taste, a successful "fix" was made to my last bottle by adding about 10-15% of another whiskey -- not enough to change the basic flavor profile, but it smoothed over the late "dry shift" just beautifully. Call me a heretic, but I found the rest of the bottle much more enjoyable!

Heretic? I don't know. I'll leave that to the Kentucky Inquisition.

A couple of times we have discussed home blending here, so your experience is interesting. What did you use? And why that choice?

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Chuck,

I used a bit of "Old Ezra" 10yo 101 proof. It was another open bottle at the time, and my tastebuds and imagination suggested to me that it would be a harmonious combination. The "Old Ezra" is really inexpensive in my neck o' the woods (down around $10 per 750ml when on sale), and it has a very rich sweet/spicy (cinnamon/cloves) finish that I thought would help smooth-over the MM "dry shift". It did the trick!

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, guys, I think the fact is that while there are bourbons I like less than Makers there are many that I like better for the same or less price. Makers would have a problem if many bourbon drinkers reached the point of sophistication you have led me to. Once you've done a comparison, you'd likely only have Makers around because some friends expect you to. And when I've had 20 bourbons in the house I've still not had any dipped in wax.

And I do like wheat based bourbons.

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yo Greg!

Your words sound true. I know you are a lover of wheated bourbons, and the fact that you only keep 'waxed bottles' about for company is very telling.

Have you had Virginia Gentleman 90 proof "The Fox"?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

OK DJR your description of a "dry shift" in the finish of Maker's Mark seems very accurate to me. We find a varity of different bourbons on the rye side and only a few on the wheated side. Is there any reason we should cut the wheaters any slack or in any way hold them unaccountable for their flavor profiles? No. A bourbon either tastes good to you or it doesn't. There is no shame of telling the truth as you taste it. That is what this forum is all about.

Linn Spencer

Maker's Mark deserves a lot of credit for demonstrating to the industry that:

1) Bourbon can be stylish and respectable, even sophisticated.

2) Bourbon can be profitable.

3) A small distillery can be viable.

I like MM well enough but tend to feel it is overpriced for what it is. I can get equally good bourbons for less or better bourbons for the same price, so why buy MM?

I think they would be well advised to put out some line extensions and let us taste the best whiskey they can make. Unfortunately, maybe they think they can't do that because they are so invested in the contention that Maker's Mark already is the best a bourbon can be.

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg if you ever run accross a bottle by all means pick one up. You'll like it. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but I met John B. "Jay" Adams the President of A. Smith Bowman and his master distiller Joe Dangler at the DISCUS event at Mount Vernon two weeks ago. I've set up a private tour of their distillery for this comming Monday. I don't want to say any more untill after the visit.

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.