BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It is my go to in restaurants. Goes well with a lot of food. I have MM46 a lot at home. I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....

It seems that a lot of you guys out here have stated that MM was your gateway into the bourbon world, I wonder why?

I think it is successful advertising, for the most part. You want a soda....you order a 'Coke' without thinking. You need to blow your snout.....you ask for a 'Kleenex'. You dont know squat about bourbon but want to try one, what is the first name you (as an inexperienced drinker) think of? Makers Mark. Plus, it is a very generic and agreeable taste profile that kind of eases people into the bourbon world......by that, I mean, it is not a polarizing drink.

I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....

I dont know if it would blow everything else away, but i guarantee it would be the next thing I brought home if they did that. I am hoping with their expansion, combined with the eventual downtown of the bourbon market, that they will expand their offerings and possibly put out something like this.

Trying side by side 2003 MM vs current was a real eye opener. 03' was much sweeter, balanced, and in the tradition of wheated bourbon. The stuff today is too much ethel forward for a 90 proofer.

It's about a year too young for my tastes, but my wife loves the nose on it. Just don't drink it too quickly, as the harsh young elements will take over. I tried to finish a glass fast on the way to a snowman contest in the big Northeast storm a couple of weeks ago, and that stuff just got downright mean.

I think they make a mistake of serving new make with their standard at the distillery. It makes the need for more age apparent as the flavors are too similar when they should be night and day.

I am a fan of M46 and usually have a bottle on hand. The finishing does a lot to round off the rough edges and add some depth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Trying side by side 2003 MM vs current was a real eye opener. 03' was much sweeter, balanced, and in the tradition of wheated bourbon. The stuff today is too much ethel forward for a 90 proofer.

I agree the current stuff could use another year in the barrel..but I still like it.

Somebody mentioned having a mini bottle and it occurred to me that I had one sitting around from Xmas. I haven't had a pour in a year or so, and I was pleasantly surprised by it last night. It's still too young and too expensive, but for a few minutes I stopped worrying about that.

Maker's was my first bourbon love, for the reasons mentioned above. Living in WV, especially before some of the new laws passed these past few years, has been pretty desolate for beer and liquor. JB, JD, and MM were the only options most everywhere. Consequently I have a lot of great memories surrounding the Maker's Mark product. I got married with a flask full of MM in my jacket pocket, and drank a few additional bottles throughout that day :bigeyes: I took a bottle of 46 to the Greenbrier for our first anniversary. It's "the one that brought me" so maybe I should dance with her more often.

This was the first bourbon I liked years ago, but I had a pour last night at Red Lobster and felt it was mostly unremarkable. I don't find it to have much depth of flavor and the finish is rather short. Pricing for this is what keeps me from buying it more often (or at all, really). When I'm in the mood for a wheater, I'd go with OWA/WSR/Larceny and save a couple bucks.

It's one of the few bourbons you may actually see on the shelf in a pub over here. It's also one of my favourites in a whiskey sour (that or wt101).

Actually sank a few MM neat the other night and got a mate of mine on it too.

There's one shop locally that sells it and it's a good price, so I always have a bottle on the shelf.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

The last pour of MM I had was at a bar about a year ago so I went out and picked up some so I could participate this month ;-). The first sip brought back a lot of fond memories of my youth. I remember purchasing my first bottle on the recommendation of a former coworker. I don't drink it much anymore but it's still a good pour. It was definitely a step up the ladder from the Beam I had been drinking since high school.

I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....

• 4 weeks later...

This BOTM doesn't seem to have faired too well..

I did bring myself to acquire a bottle of MM after finding it at a slightly reduced price.

But between all the quality competitors at and below this price point and the 7+ open bottles I'm nursing, I haven't brought myself to open it up.

May ask for a dram at a bar to get a taste.

I enjoy the MM46 but really wish I could have some at 100+ proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy the MM46 but really wish I could have some at 100+ proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and me both!

I had a pour of MM at a restaurant/bar the other day. It was good whiskey, but I still think it's overpriced.

I had a pour of MM at a restaurant/bar the other day. It was good whiskey, but I still think it's overpriced.

Yes it is...but it is a far superior product to the Weller Special Reserve they are pushing at 5 years (at best) now. I think if you did a blind taste test of current (as of in the last 6 months) WSR and Makers, Makers would win 80-20..maybe 90-10. I think too many people are predisposed to dislike Makers because they are supposed to..

Tex, I still see the old paper label WSR all over the place. I can probably point you to a few stores if you want.

I think Maker's quality took a nose dive these past couple of years. Initially, Maker's was sweet, fruity, juicy and creamy. Now when I get it, it is consistently astringent and loaded with ethanol.

After tasting standard MM SBS with their white dog at the distillery, I came to the conclusion that they're bottling it too young. Too much of the white dog character remains in the finished product. It's not bad by any stretch but it could be so much better. 46 hints at what it could be.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I haven't tried it in well over a year, but it was also my introduction to bourbon. It might be worth another visit now that OWA is getting tougher to find reliably.

I was just on the MM website, and found this little tidbit in the FAQ section:

What is my bottle worth?

Part of the answer is this..."We invite you to visit StraightBourbon.com to find out what collector's may be paying for bottles similar to yours."

• 6 months later...

I was at the liquor store yesterday and MM was $19. Larceny was around $24 and of course Weller 12 and OWA are all but gone. MM is looking a lot more attractive.

• 1 month later...
Yes it is...but it is a far superior product to the Weller Special Reserve they are pushing at 5 years (at best) now. I think if you did a blind taste test of current (as of in the last 6 months) WSR and Makers, Makers would win 80-20..maybe 90-10. I think too many people are predisposed to dislike Makers because they are supposed to..

Was just reviewing these comments as I finish off my first bottle of MMCS. And I couldn't agree more with Weller_tex...the current plain Maker's blows WSR (and OWA for that matter) out of the water. There is a certain bitterness and astringency that the current Wellers seem to have that I do not like at all. Last night I did a side-by-side of Weller 12 and regular Maker's. The weller 12 is certainly a more complex pour and it has the better nose, but the regular Maker's held its own on the palate. And Maker's 46 beats them both handily IMHO.

• 5 months later...

Decided to pick up a bottle at my local store. Costs $43 here!

I can get BT off-island for $40 and it is MUCH better than Makers!

I've had Makers before, It's just ok. It's basically a straight shooter. I find BT more complex, and $3 cheaper.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.