What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Big box beverage store just put all four BTEC bottles on the shelf. I really wanted to buy the set, but at $80ea OTD for 375ml bottles, it was a little too experimental for my wallet. :)

Bookers 25th. $125 just couldn't do it. Like the regular stuff but not enough to spend double for a special release. Just too much stuff I'd rather buy instead.

Went to Sam's today with Mrs. Fox to resupply her wine stash, and was happily surprised to see more than the normal 2-3 bourbons on the shelf. They had KC, Booker's, BH, WT101, JB, MM, MM46, and a few others. Booker's was the only one priced like you would expect to see in a discount store like Sams though, at $43. Everything else I see locally for a few bucks less, so I passed on them all. Maybe the new Beam owners struck up a deal to sell their stuff at Sams finally...usually all I saw there was WT, WR, and JD.

Saw some BTAC Thomas Handy... I should go back and get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Only if you like Handy not because it is part of BTAC. :)

Only if you like Handy not because it is part of BTAC. :)

Well, I haven't had it yet so I will probably pick it up sometime so I can say I've tried it. ;)

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a Jefferson's Ocean for $185! Sadly, I think it's probably going to go at some point in the future.

If you like rye and the price is not nuts, it's a fun bottle. Small pours last a long time, you'll get good milage.

Well, I haven't had it yet so I will probably pick it up sometime so I can say I've tried it. ;)

That's the best way to do it. Enjoy.

Agreed that if the price is close to MSRP, I would definitely pick it up. Handy is a nice a pour.

Passed on a Barter house at $75. Don't know if that was wise or foolish but I'm not in the mood for more bourbon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

In keeping with the Spring theme, I also passed on Barterhouse this weekend @$75. It's a shame this is the first "something new and/or interesting" bottle my local shop has gotten in 6 months.

Passed on a Jefferson's Ocean on sale for $67. Cheapest I've heard or seen it go for, and the shelf seemed fully stocked with it.

AAA 10 year 1.75's, three of 'em, at $40 each.

I know lots of you guys love this now discontinued item, so if you're in Louisville and want 'em, PM me for location.

Passed on a Jefferson's Ocean on sale for $67. Cheapest I've heard or seen it go for, and the shelf seemed fully stocked with it.

Party of two on this one. I passed on it for $69.99 and there were a bunch of them. Just couldn't pull the trigger... I've seen it as cheap as $60 but the place that had it for that is out.

I'm not sure how cheap Jeff Ocean would have to be for me to even think about trying it. I've been so put off by them lately. It's $80 around here, but I'm not sure I would even bother for more than $30.

A bunch of Beam Single Barrel has started showing up here. I've seen decent reviews but I'll probably hold off and let somebody else make the plunge.

I was just in San Diego for a little vacation. Popped in a little liquor store, selection was marginal and over priced, at least by my standards. I don't know much about California pricing. The guy asked if he could help me find anything, I said I was just a bourbon fan and looking out of curiosity. He said he had something special and pulled out a bottle of Booker's I hadn't noticed before (not with the other bourbons). I got a little excited, thinking maybe it was the 25th Anniversary (I already have one, but would have gladly snapped up another for a buddy of mine who is searching). Should have realized right away from the packaging that it was not, but must have been temporarily blinded. Anyway, it was a Roundtable selection - for $89.99.

Me: Thanks, but I'll pass.

Liquor Store Guy: Is it too much? I can drop the price.

Me: Yeah, but I'm travelling back to Wisconsin tomorrow and don't want to pack it anyway. Unless you've got a 25th Anniversary.

LSG: (puzzled look on his face, didn't seem to have a clue about the 25th) Can you get it cheaper there?

Me: Oh yeah.

I know, a lot of them would believe Bookers also made scotch if you told them. Sometimes I'll buy a little something just because they are trying so hard.

I don't know much about California pricing.

I live in CA and regularly pay a little more than what many others report paying in their states (except WA...sorry guys). It's not a function of taxes, though; my guess is it's some combination of high rent and trying to capitalize on the bourbon boom. Most shopkeepers I've encountered here know when they have something limited and mark it up accordingly. Maybe that guy thought Bookers is a special release since it's so much pricier than the other stuff he has...and, you know, it comes in a box.

Anyways, Bookers at that price is ludicrous even for here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Ocean II at $67. Haven't yet seen a review that makes me think it's worth it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!