What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Shelf full of ancient ancient age 10 star 14 a bottle. I have 2 economy sized bottles of this i havent even touched yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Ocean II at $67. Haven't yet seen a review that makes me think it's worth it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

And you likely never will.

Was offered a bottle of EC21 for $139.99. I passed. I have a bottle of the 18-year in the bunker but couldn't see this one being worth that price.

A bottle of George T Stagg for $599 and a "Lot B" for $899...they are at the liquor store by the southport CTA stop if anyone is interested in pay 18x retail.

First time I can remember seeing Rendezvous Rye in store. The mix of 16 yr and 6 years ryes intrigued me, but not so much at $60

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time I can remember seeing Rendezvous Rye in store. The mix of 16 yr and 6 years ryes intrigued me, but not so much at $60

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's one of my favorite ryes, and hands down my favorite mixer for a manhattan. But I've always gotten it for more like $45-50.

It's one of my favorite ryes, and hands down my favorite mixer for a manhattan. But I've always gotten it for more like $45-50.

It is a great rye! However, I agree about the price. It is normally about $55 in Indy. While not quite as good, HW DR is close and normally around $35.

Passed up ORVW, PVW, ER17, etc at the usual haunt. I was heartened to see they'd put out Sazerac 18 as well, and were charging a lowly $399 for it. I'm curious to see how long these are going to sit on shelves, and if they will just stack them all with the 2014 releases. I also passed up Jack Daniels Sinatra for around $250, and Michter's 20 at some other stupid price that I didn't pay attention to.

Passed on a Barter house at $75. Don't know if that was wise or foolish but I'm not in the mood for more bourbon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Passing up lots of Ocean these days. Doesn't seem to be moving here.

Here it is moving about like the Forgiven did, which still has some of the originals on the shelf getting a little dusty.

I was shown Bookers 25th in a very pretty box. My dealer was also proud to tell me it was only $200.00.:bigeyes:

I politely declined and told him that I needed to leave some good stuff for other customers.

Heard the local chain might have Booker's 25th or ECBP. They did not. Found three bottles of Ocean II instead and left them there.

Passed on an ECBP that was at least $129 and maybe more. Once I realized it was over a hundred I did not look that much closer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

All of them. Had to go to Kennesaw this morning so while I had a minute stopped Total Wine. First time in there. What a disappointment. My Indians have a better selection and the prices weren't better either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed on an ECBP that was at least $129 and maybe more. Once I realized it was over a hundred I did not look that much closer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's crazy. To me, the appeal of ECBP is the value at MSRP. If you're gonna double the price, I'll just as happily take Booker's, KCSB, and even Stagg Jr. as a 'replacement' barrel proofer. Heck, OGD 114, too.

Passed about 5-6 bottles of ORVW10 at various stores in DC. All on the top shelf for 300-350.

Was really hoping to locate a bottle of some of the Willett 8 and 10 yrs as there were several stores that had some at retail the last time I was in town. None to be found in the minimal time I had to look on this trip.

I guess it's true that the OVRW 10 yr got slightly more widely allocated this year, as these were all stores with otherwise terrible/minimal bourbon selection (although in high priced areas of town).

I guess it's true that the OVRW 10 yr got slightly more widely allocated this year, as these were all stores with otherwise terrible/minimal bourbon selection (although in high priced areas of town).

I think these stores just want to cash in on the surge in demand.

Pappy needs to be requested from a store then be allocated to get it.

I think these stores just want to cash in on the surge in demand.

Pappy needs to be requested from a store then be allocated to get it.

Most merchants with an other otherwise lackluster selection (but somehow have Pappy) who I've asked openly admit to buying it on the secondary market (or direct from another store) skipping distro all together and then marking it up. If no one is watching them, there isint much risk.

But im starting to feel like maybe we have crossed the threshold and now that flippers are buying up things like Barterhouse, Blowhard or Parkers POH...trying to sell it for $250 + and getting stuck with it because MSRP is just a mouse click away for most consumers...the motivation for a quick buck may be passing. Same goes for stores....Although Pappy will take much longer then the others to drop off

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!