What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Small pour of Vintage 21, oh the contents of this bottle are dwindling .

Edited by clingman71

Willet 5yo, I can't decide if it's growing on me or I can't stand it, I suppose a bit of both. Today, it's honey and flowers on the nose and smoky tobacco on the palate.

Having some WP again tonight. It's been over a year since I've had any so I thought I would revisit.

SA 7yr Rye this evening. Freshly opened bottle and man that first whiff was awful. Few minutes of air and all was well again.

HW Rendezvous Rye. Had some fairly spicy chicken tortilla soup at my sister's tonight and needed something equally spicy to drink. This fits the bill perfectly

Cold, crappy and rainy day here that called for some ever reliable and faithful Dickel in my glass.

Some JEP 1776. I'm really happy with this 2 yr (sorry, aged "over 2 years") rye. Need to do a blind tasting against the newer Ritt BIB (which is 1/3 less expensive) and my Willett 4 yr (which is 1/3 more expensive, but higher proof as well).

Finishing off a bottle of Jeff 10, Canadian, NCF, batch 11. I have enjoyed this bottle.

Enjoying my first small pour (neat) from a bottle of Bulleit Rye that I picked up late last year. A very oily mouthfeel lingers on and on ... I like it.

Some tasting notes on the McKenzie please.

I'm bad at this. Someone mentioned tea and biscuits for smell in another thread and I'm inclined to agree. Not sure if it's my unconscious love for tea and biscuits (?) but the nose is really incredible and unique. Rye spice is muted on taste by the sherry finish. It tastes like a young rye whiskey with a bit of extra funky grain or malt. Totally unique and interesting and something that'll be a permanent fixture om my shelf.

Thanks BAO, I appreciate you taking the time to post. I would much rather read someone's first hand impressions in their own words than another high flung canned review filled with exotic descriptors like wet rocks and dewy violet petals.

I'm bad at this. Someone mentioned tea and biscuits for smell in another thread and I'm inclined to agree. Not sure if it's my unconscious love for tea and biscuits (?) but the nose is really incredible and unique. Rye spice is muted on taste by the sherry finish. It tastes like a young rye whiskey with a bit of extra funky grain or malt. Totally unique and interesting and something that'll be a permanent fixture om my shelf.

I agree, am waiting for an older version myself, without the wine cask finish. Nothing wrong with any of that but the older I grow the less interested I am in sweet finishes.

My local has had a two month sale on Bulleit rye for $19.99. I like it and especially enjoy it for 20 vs. 27 bucks.

Had some CEHT Straight Rye in the glencairn and followed that up with a Ritt Manhattan. Damn fine evening.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!