What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Town Branch followed by Taylor BIB. Both went down way to fast and I'm going to have to drink more TB before I can give any notes on it. Very drinkable, it is. Traditional rye, it is not. Do I like it....yes, I do.

Just opened my first bottle of Mitcher's rye. All I can say is WOW! Cinnamon, vanilla galore. I've got to get a couple of these for the bunker.

Redemption Barrel Proof 6 yr. The thing I find with this iteration of the LDI rye, as compared to the multitude of others, is the emergence of more non-minty spice. It has more baking spice, gingerbread, and flamed orange. Much more "deep" flavors. I have been a fan of the LDI ryes since they burst on the scene, but this iteration takes it to a new, and even better, level, IMO.

Moved on and now opened my first bottle of SAOSR. Man ol man, I am two for two tonight. This tastes like apple pie with caramel and vanilla ice cream.

Well maybe I've a few to many pours but it is so good.

Just opened my first bottle of Mitcher's rye. All I can say is WOW! Cinnamon, vanilla galore. I've got to get a couple of these for the bunker.

10 year single barrel or regular US1 version?

Redemption Barrel Proof 6 yr. The thing I find with this iteration of the LDI rye, as compared to the multitude of others, is the emergence of more non-minty spice. It has more baking spice, gingerbread, and flamed orange. Much more "deep" flavors. I have been a fan of the LDI ryes since they burst on the scene, but this iteration takes it to a new, and even better, level, IMO.

10 year single barrel or regular US1 version?

US1 version, can't imagine how good the 10 yr sb would be.

Last night at a bar I had some VWFR Rye. And at $14 I didn't think that was to bad.

A shot of the Knob Creek rye, at a local bar. I found the smell very strong, the exact Beam signature, "call it what you will", I don't like. However, the rest of the dram was fine. Maybe the first taste "sets" the palate..?

Gary

Having my second "visit" with Town Branch this afternoon. While I enjoyed the first pour, it did not present as a traditional rye and left me a bit confused. After a little air time, I thought I'd give it another go.

The nose is dry wood, pipe tobacco and a hint of ginger followed by that familiar bold minty/spicy rye extravaganza upon entry. Minty/spice flavors then fade to sweet tobacco, ginger then dry oak. The finish is pleasant and lingering.

This is a corn heavy rye at 30%, which seems to impart some added flavor complexity as well as a good oily thick mouthfeel. It works for me!

Opened the Old Potrero 18th Cent the other night>

very strong youthful nose on it. at 102.7, very easy drinking, nervous about this as many reviews stated it drank much hotter.

Fruity, very unexpected. Brandy-ish taste, steering more to a nice apple brand-like Germain Robin, reminded me of that.

Shortish finish, sweet. easy drinking. Quite good.

The real tray came the next day. Nosing the empty glass in the kitchen, a lot. Heavenly residue. All carmel, butterscotch delight.

The misses says, "what are you doing that for?, give me that!" Grabs the glass and gives it a good whiff, "whoa, that is good!"

Granted, she still isn't interested in drinking bourbon, but I love those moments were we can share the delight.

B

Last night at a bar I had some VWFR Rye. And at $14 I didn't think that was to bad.

At $14! that's a great price. I won't be able to step away from the bar.

Had some Doug's Green Ink and Iron Fist someone sent me samples of. I didn't know what I was drinking until I tasted them back and made tasting notes and reported back to the sender. Wow, terrific stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had some Doug's Green Ink and Iron Fist someone sent me samples of. I didn't know what I was drinking until I tasted them back and made tasting notes and reported back to the sender. Wow, terrific stuff

Something magical happened with those barrels at KBD. Not sure it will ever be replicated but consider yourself lucky to have such a good friend to send those to you. A lot of really good bourbon and rye gets caught in the hype train and can't live up to unrealistic expectations. But, for me, that group of bottlings cannot be adequately lauded nor can the quality be overstated.

In all seriousness I have tried most all the forms of that rye under it's many labels and bottlings except the Doug's Black or Green ink so consider yourself among an elite few.Yes,I'm jealous if you couldn't tell by my tone.:grin:

In all seriousness I have tried most all the forms of that rye under it's many labels and bottlings except the Doug's Black or Green ink so consider yourself among an elite few.Yes,I'm jealous if you couldn't tell by my tone.:grin:

evybudeq.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised to find this 15yo MGP (branded as Taos Lightning) doing a respectable job holding itself up against a Saz 18 sample from a friend. While a little spendy, I'd probably buy the TL again. (And, yes, I'd damn sure buy the Saz...at MSRP, anyway.)

A mule dropped off a bottle of High West's "A Midwinter Nights Dram", this evening. I couldn't wait to open it, as I know how much I liked the special pre-release bottle that Bill brought to the last GBS meet-up. I immediately remember why I liked it. The heavy dark fruits from the port finishing ooze out from this whiskey, but they don't overshadow the sprite rye backbone. But the thick, fruity, flavors are the star, here. Luscious, might best describe it. IMO, this is the best work so far, from the High West house.

Almost hate hearing all of these reports on how good this stuff is, as it's looking more and more like the only way to get one will be through the secondary market. Oh well, cross that cork when we come to it!

Almost hate hearing all of these reports on how good this stuff is, as it's looking more and more like the only way to get one will be through the secondary market. Oh well, cross that cork when we come to it!

No fear Sean. I will be bringing one to the gazebo Saturday night. I know it's not the same as having your own bottle, though. It has been a definite struggle to not open it. I've been good so far. Only 2 weeks to go :-)

Anytime. It's really my first chance to share something back with the SB folks that have been so generous to me over the past year :-)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!