What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No fear Sean. I will be bringing one to the gazebo Saturday night. I know it's not the same as having your own bottle, though. It has been a definite struggle to not open it. I've been good so far. Only 2 weeks to go :-)

Thanks for bringing that bottle, Jarrod! I've been looking forward to trying it as well. Good on you!

Thanks Dan. Looking forward to the gazebo. Just finished off the day with a lot of yard work. I've settled in with a WTR101 while watching the munchkin dance and sing along with Frozen.

2012 THH at a bar near my house. I had been meaning to stop in and it was on the way to dinner.

Handy has yet to disappoint me, it has so much flavor and just the right amount of kick. To make it even better, the bartender gave me a large pour as well as a deal on our drinks for being honest and reminding him that we hadn't paid yet (apparently he thought we paid when we ordered).

Corsair Ryemageddon. I was picking up some beer at a local place that I like and the owner asked me to come talk to the Corsair brand rep. He had literally 20 bottles of different Corsair products, and I tried six or seven of them, one after another. They were all terrible, but every time I tried to wander away, he would hand me another sample, and I would feel obligated to stay and taste it. The Ryemageddon actually isn't too bad (B-/C+), and I was kinda tickled that it was distilled from 20% chocolate rye ("And hey, it kinda smells chocolately!"), so I bought a bottle ($52!) and now I don't know I will finish it. I'm now determined to find a cocktail where it shines.

Redemption Barrel Proof Rye, and I'm digging it. I know all the caveats: mixed reviews, it's just BP MGP rye, the price point is ridiculous. And yeah, it's not the best rye I've ever had. But I think it holds its own. It's amazingly smooth for such a high-proof rye. The time now is 10:30 am on a Monday, so forgive me for not being more specific with notes. I'll write something up soon.

Redemption Barrel Proof Rye, and I'm digging it. I know all the caveats: mixed reviews, it's just BP MGP rye, the price point is ridiculous. And yeah, it's not the best rye I've ever had. But I think it holds its own. It's amazingly smooth for such a high-proof rye. The time now is 10:30 am on a Monday, so forgive me for not being more specific with notes. I'll write something up soon.

Original Lot 40 hitting the spot tonight. Really buttery w nice honey and red berry notes. Just a tiny kick of baking spice at the end.

High West Midwinter Nights Dram - 49.3%

13865424485_f6c45831b4_z.jpg

Hmm, "Act 1, Scene 1467".

Trying to be clever with the "theme" I see. Almost too clever to the point of cheesy...

I very much like the Redemption BPR, Clay. I found it to have a great deal more depth to it than other BP MGP's that I have had, like the Willetts. The trademark mintiness, though present, was toned down and it was more rounded, and other spice notes were present that I don't get in the Willetts and other MGP sourced brands. Definitely more barrel influence in the bottling that I have.

Glad to hear I'm not alone, and not crazy, Joe.

Thoughts on this one would be welcome as well. Already scheming a way to get a bottle or three!

It's the most interesting American whiskey I've had in the last two years and I can be happy with a couple of cases of this... It's got so many things going on it's approaching single malt level of complexity & there's a wee bit of saltiness (maybe something from the French oak) that sets it off perfectly for me. Well done Mr. Perkins & Co!

Glad to hear I'm not alone, and not crazy, Joe.

Nope - you got company :) I picked up a bottle a couple months ago despite some bad press on earlier batches (which I haven't had, so it may have been well earned bad press!) Ain't a lot of barrel proof rye options out there, so finding one for under $60 that is available on the shelves brought some level of skepticism, which was dismissed after a tasting. Great stuff IMHO

I'm having Jeffersons 10y, Lot40(2012), and Rittenhouse BiB (354). I realy like the Jeff., but the Rit is a different tasting rye that I realy enjoy also. Lot 40.......... It's ok.

My first Lot 40 tonight, picked up a bottle at my local shop off of reputation and reviews. Well......, the jury is still out, but, this is just the first pour from a fresh bottle, and I did enjoy it more the more air it got. Karen loves it, so all is not lost if it doesn't wow me with future pours.

My first Lot 40 tonight, picked up a bottle at my local shop off of reputation and reviews. Well......, the jury is still out, but, this is just the first pour from a fresh bottle, and I did enjoy it more the more air it got. Karen loves it, so all is not lost if it doesn't wow me with future pours.

Keep with it. Its not a usual rye as many would expect, different yes, but in a pretty good way I think.

B

I'm back into the Town Branch and have been really enjoying this bottle. I wish someone else would post something positive on this so I can.... maybe....quit thinking there is something wrong with me!

I guessed my wife's "mystery dram" on the first try: Hirsch 22. Still love this one.

LS&B. Yes I know it is way over-priced and no I wouldn't buy another bottle at that price but damn it is a fine rye.

Nope - you got company :) I picked up a bottle a couple months ago despite some bad press on earlier batches (which I haven't had, so it may have been well earned bad press!) Ain't a lot of barrel proof rye options out there, so finding one for under $60 that is available on the shelves brought some level of skepticism, which was dismissed after a tasting. Great stuff IMHO

Regarding batches and RRBP: Given that it's MGP and Redemption, I wouldn't have expected a huge swing. But I have a bottle from batch 4 (er, I think; maybe 3 -- I'm at work), and it has none of the offputting qualities that, for example, Smokeybeast found in giving the stuff an F.

LS&B. Yes I know it is way over-priced and no I wouldn't buy another bottle at that price but damn it is a fine rye.

Agreed. I kicked my bottle last week. A fine, fun dram, but not one I'd fork over so much cheddar for again.

Rittenhouse 100, like it just fine over ice. All the reviews I read implied only good for cocktails. Salesperson warned me it might be too hot if I wasn't used to the strength.

Guess those months of drawing barrel samples got me used to having everything at 125 proof twice a week.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!