What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oh sure - after I create an Excel calculator you point this out :lol: (quietly bookmarking)

Oh don't feel bad. I did the same thing. Although I used Google Sheets so I could pull it up in my phone on the fly.

Tucked into this incredible beast tonight. 25yr old sinGle barrell rye, #1779, 100proof. I only wish I had bought more of these at the Willett gift shop last month. 4a7aragu.jpg

post-9650-14489821224606_thumb.jpg

Old rye side by side by side. Consensus ranking-

1) BMH 23-best on the palate, well integrated not overly woody even as the oldest.

2) Vintage 21(sample provided by a fellow SBer)-best finish and nose.

3) Hirsch 22- darkest of the three by far and the woodiest. A little more burn on the finish as well.

All three are remarkable pours and the overall view was that there were only minimal differences and wouldn't pass a chance to drink any of them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19002[/ATTACH]

Old rye side by side by side. Consensus ranking-

1) BMH 23-best on the palate, well integrated not overly woody even as the oldest.

2) Vintage 21(sample provided by a fellow SBer)-best finish and nose.

3) Hirsch 22- darkest of the three by far and the woodiest. A little more burn on the finish as well.

All three are remarkable pours and the overall view was that there were only minimal differences and wouldn't pass a chance to drink any of them.

3 of my all-time favorite Whiskeys! Sadly, all I have left are 2 unopened Vintage 21(Which may be my favorite), 1 unopened Hirsch 22, and 1 inch of BMH.

Finally procured an Angel Envy Rum Finished Rye. Wow, is it sweet. Not complaining, as I like how unique it is, but the sweetness can be a bit startling.

Finally procured an Angel Envy Rum Finished Rye. Wow, is it sweet. Not complaining, as I like how unique it is, but the sweetness can be a bit startling.

It's been a struggle to finish the bottle I have, batch 2. As you mentioned, it's quite sweet but that doesn't bother me as much as the weird hair salon smell and taste I get from my pours.

This evening, at dinner with several couples at one of the finer locals. Didn't see any rye on the drink menu, so I inquired. Waiter advised that they had x, y, and z (nothing special) but wasn't sure when I asked about WP cask strength. She offered to check for me and ended up coming back to note that they did have Saz 18. Why yes, I believe I will (trying to keep a straight face). She came back with a three finger pour, neat that ended up being 10 bucks:shocked:. Yes, I did have another.:grin:

This evening, at dinner with several couples at one of the finer locals. Didn't see any rye on the drink menu, so I inquired. Waiter advised that they had x, y, and z (nothing special) but wasn't sure when I asked about WP cask strength. She offered to check for me and ended up coming back to note that they did have Saz 18. Why yes, I believe I will (trying to keep a straight face). She came back with a three finger pour, neat that ended up being 10 bucks:shocked:. Yes, I did have another.:grin:

I'll have what he's having.

I'll have what he's having.

And if they could just bring me the rest of the bottle, I'll take it. Wow - what a score!

Wow $10 for a 3 finger pour.! They would have needed to carry me out of there with Mrs TT driving me home.

Wow $10 for a 3 finger pour.! They would have needed to carry me out of there with Mrs TT driving me home.

Seriously me too. I'll be closing the place down that night.

It was surreal. Here I am with great food, company, drink and music but I had to sit there for the last two hours or so with only water knowing that I had to drive home....a very difficult thing to do. In hindsight, I should have drank the whole bottle and called a cab. :icon_pidu:

Edited by Paddy

Nearing the end of a 2011 Handy, so I'm going slow and savoring this pour. I'm really gonna miss this when it's gone.

Had a nice three finger pour of Old Scout cask strength to close out the evening. Not quite up to last evenings standard, but a solid stand up double with a kicking long finish.

THH12 tonight. My bottle was fairly harsh when I opened it 6-ish months ago, but has mellowed to the point that I've become quite fond of it. Lots of nice baking spices, no more sinus blast.

Having some Catoctin Creek 2 year BP rye. I believe this is a barrel pick from SCN. I went into the sample not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely worth tracking down a bottle. Really superb for a 2 year rye.

Good God! I'm not sure if my tastes have changed SIGNIFICANTLY, or this current batch of AE Rye is just that horrid. Either way I would really like to dump it down the drain. I won't, it will be drank but geez. AE needs to take lessons from HW on how to finish a rye whiskey, IMHO.

Good God! I'm not sure if my tastes have changed SIGNIFICANTLY, or this current batch of AE Rye is just that horrid. Either way I would really like to dump it down the drain. I won't, it will be drank but geez. AE needs to take lessons from HW on how to finish a rye whiskey, IMHO.

New version WT101 followed by Collingwood 21 (I know it's Canadian). The WT is not quite as good as the old version but is really vry solid and worth the $35 per liter I paid. The Collingwood has really grown on me: it has the dry, woody rye profile that I enjoy of the old Kentucky ryes, just bottled at a bit too low a proof. For the price, I can't fault it, but if this were even in the 90s I think I'd buy a case.

New version WT101 followed by Collingwood 21 (I know it's Canadian). The WT is not quite as good as the old version but is really vry solid and worth the $35 per liter I paid. The Collingwood has really grown on me: it has the dry, woody rye profile that I enjoy of the old Kentucky ryes, just bottled at a bit too low a proof. For the price, I can't fault it, but if this were even in the 90s I think I'd buy a case.

Finished off a bottle of Baby Saz. I usually reserve this for cocktails because I haven't liked it neat, but I enjoyed it tonight over a couple of cubes.

Followed by a bit of CEHT Jr Rye BIB. Tasted a bit medicinal tonight.

you still blogging? Enjoyed the older reviews.

Thanks, but no. Having a kid put me back months and then I took up homebrewing. In the end, though, the whiskey craze getting out of hand, and my own small part of all that sort of soured on me. I've been getting back into whiskey lately, though, but I think I'll see if I can find a home here, instead, as the world does not seem to need another whiskey blogger at this point.

Back on topic, really wish the Collingwood 21 had more proof. I may have to see what happens if I add some stiffer stuff to it.

...really wish the Collingwood 21 had more proof. I may have to see what happens if I add some stiffer stuff to it.

Can't say I thought Collingwood Rye needed much more, but your statement has me thinking about possibilities I didn't even think to consider...what IF there is a puncher that could pump this whiskey up to greater heights? I think there might be. Please report back any good combos you come up with. I'm going to search for the same. THH is coming to mind...

:toast:

Can't say I thought Collingwood Rye needed much more, but your statement has me thinking about possibilities I didn't even think to consider...what IF there is a puncher that could pump this whiskey up to greater heights? I think there might be. Please report back any good combos you come up with. I'm going to search for the same. THH is coming to mind...

:toast:

I have some THH. Will report back but have to go to bed. Have a few other ideas as well...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!