What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night, went to the bar around the corner from my office for a little pre-birthday celebration with some co-workers and had some Handy for $10.50 a pour.

Tonight, went to a little local place for a drink and had High West Double Rye for $10.........

I like the previous deal better.

Little nip of Bulleit before bed. Very satisfying rye - not sure why it took me so long to grab a bottle!

Same here. Might be due to the Diageo aversion so many of us have, and the brand's goofy marketing. But I like the taste and love the price @ $20 per 750 in TX--outside of OO, I'm having trouble thinking of a more affordable brand.* On a long weekend right now, it's the only bottle I brought.

*ETA --> I guess some WFE and perhaps some others might be "more affordable" per oz., based on a higher proof, as Bulleit is only 90...but I'm on vaca and not inclined to math it out today.

Edited by Eskwar
second thoughts based on proof

Just opened a Hirsch 22 to end a lovely dinner with the wife. One of the too-small mini-bunker of Medley and CoK. This is just about perfect in my opinion. As oaky as one can get before being overoaked, bit still sweet and full of rye-toast like rye flavor. I am a total idiot for not buying more of this when I could have, thinking it was too expensive at $90. Granted that is a high price for whiskey, but per drink that's like a $30 bottle of wine, which no one finds too weird...maybe we were do for a price correction as much as that sucks.

Old Overholt, 1934-1940, BPR MD rye, 1937-1941, Mt. Vernon 1921-1934, Neil & Doug's WFE 22 black ink, Doug's WFE 22 green ink, Rathskellar, Saz 18 from 2013. It was a special night of rye drinking.

Old Overholt, 1934-1940, BPR MD rye, 1937-1941, Mt. Vernon 1921-1934, Neil & Doug's WFE 22 black ink, Doug's WFE 22 green ink, Rathskellar, Saz 18 from 2013. It was a special night of rye drinking.

You have reached the summit of Everest my friend.

Finished off my first bottle of Redemption BP. There is a back up and as soon as it's opened I'll get another back up.

New version WT101. It is not quite as good as the older version as it is obviously younger, but even a at $30 a liter, as others have complained about. I can't think of a better young rye. Willett is now hard to find, and a bit prickly for me. This has a nice balance of bourbons flavors with rye spice.

Had the HW Rendezvous for the first time. Really enjoyed it. Similar to the Double Rye, it had some floral flavors, but they were in the back, with lots of vanilla and burnt sugar up front.

Angels Envy. It opened up quite nicely over the past month and while I am enjoying I doubt that I will buy another bottle anytime soon.

Too many other ryes less expensive that I enjoy a whole lot more.

So, any tasting notes, or is this just a good old brag?

Can't speak for Wryguy nor can I tell you anything about the oldies but as for the others:

Saz18-this along with the VWFRR are the current gold standard for "available" old ryes. Dry,spicy with enough wood to give it character but keep it well integrated-not over oaky at all.

Rathskeller, Doug's Green and Neal/Doug-sister barrels from the magic potion distilled in the 80's and dumped in the mid 00's at KBD. Don't know where it came from or what exactly was done with it(re-barreled for a period?) but it yielded the best whiskey I have had the privilege to taste. Ryes of insane proof that drink like 90 proof sippin whiskey. A nose I could nose for days and be satisfied. A taste like Heaven's cedar chest opened by a choir of angels in full voice. And a finish like the best romp in the sack you've ever experienced. So.....tastes like Heaven and sex for the Cliff's notes version.:grin:

I'd be happy to share tasting notes, as I'm trying the Black Ink, the Old Overholt and the BPR again tonight. I thought one go-around, especially in the midst of trying many different things, would be insufficient to formulate proper tasting notes.

I'm over 1/2 into a SAOS CS bottle and will dutifully march onward until my mission is accomplished. :falling:

Had a SBS of Saz 18 (2011) and Vintage 21 last night. I preferred the nose on the V21, but the finish on the Saz 18. Overall I would go with the Saz, but they were both excellent.

Revisited the Willett 2yr rye for the first time since bringing a bottle back from the distillery in late June. My first impression back then was that I was picking up too much white dog character both in the nose and palate, but that once past that, some good rye flavors were present.

I'm happy to report today that either due to some air time or a change in my palate that the white dog notes are diminished. I picked up some right after pouring so I let it sit for a while. That did the trick and there was none present on the nose after that and none at all on the palate. Only rye spices present, a little mint and some vanilla. Very, very pleasant sipper.

Like others, I'm really looking forward to this at 4 years. Quite nice at 2 already. Definitely a unique rye flavor compared to others I've tried.

Went low rent tonight and got into my Fleischmann's Straight Rye for the first time in quite a while. Light, crisp and pretty darn good

Drinking some McKenzie tonight. I read that the rye is finished in Sherry Barrels, but there is no note of that on the labels. Is that a Labeling Violation?

In the mood, so I poured three fingers of SAOS cask strength. Other than being a tad thin, this puppy is tasting big and bold tonight and I like it!

2011 THH 128.6%. There is a savory character to this whiskey that is unique. I love this stuff. Neat from a Glencairn.

Having a nice glass of the 2 year Willet rye. Definitely aspects of a young rye but so smooth for just 2 years. The finish is not what I was expecting. There are other ryes fo the price (including a Willet 5 year MGPI rye for $10 cheaper) but there is so much potential. Willett, you've got a winner on your hands in a few years and something special in 10+ years.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!