What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At Jack Rose, decided to go crazy and do a SBS with these two ryes:7384bcf39e8445fda03ee094cfc74ff6.jpg

Both were very good but also very different. The Willett was lighter and had some citrusy notes. The Rathskeller was dense and dark with pretty much every good flavor imaginable. I'd say the Rathskeller won, as it just had so much flavor packed into it and was unbelievably drinkable considering the proof. I now understand why this is a legendary whiskey. It was pricey, but I'm glad I got to try these both, even if everything else I drink pales in comparison.

Plowed through most of a bottle of Lot 40 (2012 release) while vacationing on Maui (helped by my BIL). Easy to sip (or gulp) with a fruity nose, good oily mouth-feel, rye bread and pepper mid-palate and an uncomplicated finish. Thumbs up!

An old fashioned with baby Saz. Though every time I make one it just makes me wish it was just neat :)

VWFRR. Been open about two years, and is still wonderful. Special stuff that I will continue to nurse.

The last delightful sips from a 2009 Saz 18.

Back to back nights for Old Potrero Single Malt Rye 97 proof. I like it but the price is a bit more than it's worth.

Would that be the last of the bottle that was on your table Saturday? That was good stuff!

Yes it was. It is great whiskey. I wonder how much more BT has in the tank...?

Yes it was. It is great whiskey. I wonder how much more BT has in the tank...?

Not much I would guess. If they have been putting BT rye in the VWFRR for a couple of years now then that rye (presumably the Baby Saz/Handy mashbill and not the CEHT rye mashbill) could be 15 or more years old. Once it reaches 18yo the original stuff will likely be gone or at the very least start getting blended.

Might still be good but it won't likely be quite the same.

Not much I would guess. If they have been putting BT rye in the VWFRR for a couple of years now then that rye (presumably the Baby Saz/Handy mashbill and not the CEHT rye mashbill) could be 15 or more years old. Once it reaches 18yo the original stuff will likely be gone or at the very least start getting blended.

Might still be good but it won't likely be quite the same.

Bruce, I'm crossing my fingers that it's as good or better. I'm with you that I think they will use the lower rye (THH) mashbill in the "new" Saz18. I love the Handy and like the Baby Saz so have high hopes for an 18 yr version. But that then begs the question-what is the "new"VWFRR and how do they differentiate it from the new Saz18? Will it be like the current difference between W12 and Lot B? Or will the VW become a truly 13 yr expression and the Saz18 a five yr older version of the same? Who knows? Glad I have some prior years of each socked away for posterity.:cool:

Maybe once they have a steady flowing stock of BT Saz18 they'll release it at barrel strength, which would be most welcome.

What becomes of VFRR? I'm kind of amazed we haven't found out by now - which doesn't give me a good feeling.

Cracked open a Lot 40 (no idea how to tell how old it is; it isn't the 2012 release?), and after decanting (@#$% corks!) enjoying a nice pour. Wow - what a unique whiskey! The lower proof had me skeptical as to how much I might enjoy it, but this is so much different than anything else I have.

I went back to my $10 pour Saz 18 honey hole tonight. The bad news is are now charging $11.50 per pour. :D

The good news is that they (I had two) were monster three finger pours. :bigeyes:

Sadly, I had to stop at that point, as I have to be on the road at daylight tomorrow.

I went back to my $10 pour Saz 18 honey hole tonight. The bad news is are now charging $11.50 per pour. :D

The good news is that they (I had two) were monster three finger pours. :bigeyes:

Sadly, I had to stop at that point, as I have to be on the road at daylight tomorrow.

Nice. I have a honey hole with $10 pours of Handy. They had Stagg for the same price and we cleaned them out. Finished the Handy last night. It was the '12 so I'm hoping they have some '13 waiting in the wings.

You'll likely see BT/VW use the wheater playbook & roll the same plays out to the ryes

Yes, my guess is that VWFRR will eventually (maybe soon?) be all BT 13yo rye and Saz18 will eventually be all BT 18yo rye. Maybe they will keep putting a drop or two of the older stuff in it to claim association with the original source but I think outside of the whiskey nerd crowd most people don't know or care, especially when it comes to rye.

For the near future at least the Pappy name will be all the roobs will care about. It could be a Barton NAS wheater and if it says Pappy on the label that will be good enough! Most people won't be able to tell the difference anyway as they pour it in their cola...

In fact I kinda wish they would do that.

Had a friend pick up a barrel proof Redemption Rye for me.....I think this is going to become my pour of choice when I'm in my occasional mood for a rye and don't want to get into the heavy hitters (e.g. Van Winkle, High West 21, the classic old Willett bottlings). The barrel proof has so much more going for it than the various cut MGP releases.

Picked up some Dickel Rye and some Rittenhouse. Glad to have the Dickel around because I really do like the Indiana stuff; it does especially well in cocktails. But in terms of drinking rye neat or even on the rocks, I am remembering again how great Rittenhouse is.

Had a friend pick up a barrel proof Redemption Rye for me.....I think this is going to become my pour of choice when I'm in my occasional mood for a rye and don't want to get into the heavy hitters (e.g. Van Winkle, High West 21, the classic old Willett bottlings). The barrel proof has so much more going for it than the various cut MGP releases.

Pulled out an old bottle of Jefferson 21 year old. It's been a while since up open up one of these bottles. Very good rye.

post-9285-14489821372338_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!