What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I was fortunate enough to acquire a sample of Ritt 21 and tried it last night. Anyone else out there underwhelmed by this? Personally I was shocked I didn't like it as I tend to prefer aged ryes. Just curious if anyone else had the same experience as me.

Well, I popped the cork on some Black Maple Hill, tasted it along side some RR 6yr. This stuff is absolutely amazing. More accessible and complex than my gold standard Thomas Handy Saz. Shame I didn't buy the last bottle.

So I was fortunate enough to acquire a sample of Ritt 21 and tried it last night. Anyone else out there underwhelmed by this? Personally I was shocked I didn't like it as I tend to prefer aged ryes. Just curious if anyone else had the same experience as me.

Jarrod, I have missed out on the old Ritt's. Had a chance to buy the 21 and 23 a year and a half ago but passed. Kind of regretted it but turned another SB'er on to them so at least they went to a good home and not Craigslist! I imagine they are totally different beasts to the Medley and Old Bernheim ryes that wound up in the other ultra aged ryes out there. But also imagine it would be hard to top those.

Jarrod, I have missed out on the old Ritt's. Had a chance to buy the 21 and 23 a year and a half ago but passed. Kind of regretted it but turned another SB'er on to them so at least they went to a good home and not Craigslist! I imagine they are totally different beasts to the Medley and Old Bernheim ryes that wound up in the other ultra aged ryes out there. But also imagine it would be hard to top those.

I did a SBS of that and Hirsch 21. I cannot recall the source of the Hirsch, but for my palate it beat the Ritt 21 and wasn't even close.

I did a SBS of that and Hirsch 21. I cannot recall the source of the Hirsch, but for my palate it beat the Ritt 21 and wasn't even close.

I'd say they are just different, one is not inherently superior to the other, though H21, being batched as opposed to single barrel, is probably more consistent from bottle to bottle. For my money, the H22 is the best of the Hirsch ryes, and bears a distinct similarity to dusty PA distilled ryes. The best pour I've had of an age-stated Rittenhouse far outstrips any pour I've had of a Hirsch rye, IMO. But different strokes and all that.

I cannot recall the source of the Hirsch

It may have changed as the age statements increased. JVWIII has posted on here that he bottled the H13 (and maybe a few older years?) and it was the same as his rye at that time. Reading that w other posts it seems like the early bottlings were all Medley and then a blend of Medley and Bernheim/Cream of Ky. It was the blend that got tanked and parceled out. Think I got that right off the top of my head but if not someone can correct it.

Finished off another bottle of Pepper. Indiana is distilling some fine ryes.

Check my Avatar TT, that's Seagrams a/k/a LDI, a/k/a MGPI but still known to the locals as Seagrams!

so Johnny you like the Ritt's over the old Willett's?

They hit different parts of the spectrum to scratch different itches ;)

The Bonili 24's were pretty spectacular... I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good the bottles of Ritt21were.

If I had to choose, I'd take the old Willetts (BMH23, DC, Bonili, "X" Inks, etc) over just about any others but its not that wide of a chasm in terms of quality for me.

That said, some of the stuff coming out of High West confirmed for me that chasing (or keeping) the unicorn ryes is not necessary anymore.

They hit different parts of the spectrum to scratch different itches ;)

The Bonili 24's were pretty spectacular... I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good the bottles of Ritt21were.

If I had to choose, I'd take the old Willetts (BMH23, DC, Bonili, "X" Inks, etc) over just about any others but its not that wide of a chasm in terms of quality for me.

That said, some of the stuff coming out of High West confirmed for me that chasing (or keeping) the unicorn ryes is not necessary anymore.

I like your optimism! I hold out hope for the BT ryes (THH/Baby Saz mashbill or the CEHT one) to be really good at 13 or 18. But time will tell. KBD caught lightning in a bottle with the stuff they bottled in the mid 90's. Those are still my favorites bar none.

I like your optimism! I hold out hope for the BT ryes (THH/Baby Saz mashbill or the CEHT one) to be really good at 13 or 18. But time will tell. KBD caught lightning in a bottle with the stuff they bottled in the mid 90's. Those are still my favorites bar none.

Keep an eyeball open and focused on HW this fall (& I'm not just talking about MWND)

Keep an eyeball open and focused on HW this fall (& I'm not just talking about MWND)

You're not just teasing us, are you? Does Dave have some older Barton ryes sitting around getting better?? :bigeyes:

For the near future at least the Pappy name will be all the roobs will care about. It could be a Barton NAS wheater and if it says Pappy on the label that will be good enough! Most people won't be able to tell the difference anyway as they pour it in their cola...

In fact I kinda wish they would do that.

Hmmmm, Pappy Jr.?

Still working on a SAOS cask strength. This has been a solid, but not "special" bottle. I realize the SB offering will vary, but I'm going to finish this puppy off in the next couple of days and move on to something that gives me a little more of that damp, musty, dirt thing that I crave.

Finally opened the Willet 5 year rye I picked up a few weeks ago. Spicy, minty goodness with a solid finish. I've got a 7 year rye stored and the thought of something in double digits is almost blasphemous.

I'm going to finish this puppy off in the next couple of days and move on to something that gives me a little more of that damp, musty, dirt thing that I crave.

Sounds like you need some Islay scotch!

Had some HW Double Rye. I've thoroughly enjoyed every sip from the bottle. I love drinking it because it is so different from most ryes I've had.

Yes. That or a hooker.

"Damp, Musty, Dirty...". Hmmm...Can't say those would be the things I'd recommend someone look for in a hooker...:lol:

"Damp, Musty, Dirty...". Hmmm...Can't say those would be the things I'd recommend someone look for in a hooker...:lol:

Maybe not what you'd look for....but, probably what you'd find. :bigeyes:

Thankfully, I don't think there is enough Islay Scotch in the world to lead me down that path. :70358-devil:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!