What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...I don't think there is enough Islay Scotch in the world to lead me down that path. :70358-devil:

Two Fingers Tequila, on the other hand...

Earlier tonight I was introducing my neighbor/local Republic National exec (one of the big national distributors) to some of the more exotic offerings from High West. He noticed a bottle in my cabinet and mentioned they had just picked up the brand. We tried Midwinter Dram, 21 year rye, and 16 year rye. Hopefully this will convince him to make sure we get a decent allocation of Midwinter this season.

my "square" rye Manhattan

ingredients

1f0b39b0-75f3-484b-bb06-225bdcdb9612_zps42bcb7a4.jpg

square glass and ice cube

maybe one day I'll try to make clear cubes, but it sounds difficult--and who cares?

93ffa9b7-f3e9-4b8b-afaa-3054fee52c12_zpsa0f99987.jpg

my "square" rye Manhattan

ingredients

1f0b39b0-75f3-484b-bb06-225bdcdb9612_zps42bcb7a4.jpg

square glass and ice cube

maybe one day I'll try to make clear cubes, but it sounds difficult--and who cares?

93ffa9b7-f3e9-4b8b-afaa-3054fee52c12_zpsa0f99987.jpg

ok have all of those on my bar.....ratios please?

Some recently purchased Lot 40. Agree with Daryll above, this is a lot of fun(ky). It almost reminds me of an old fashioned on its own. It shows it's age, but I feel like it covers up the youth a bit better than the Willett 2 yr.

yes, good question. I should have paid more attention, 'cuz it was quite good.

maybe some guidelines

3 parts rye

1 part vermouth

1.5-2 parts Luxardo, probably 1.5

several dashes of orange bitters, I'm positive of this

4 cherries, again quite sure

they're all pretty similar, I guess

Gibson's Steakhouse in Chicago does a "Rush St. Manhattan" that I remember like TSA 3-1-1

it's 3 parts bourbon (Woodford at Gibson's), 1 part sweet vermouth and 1 part Cherry Heering, probably with some bitters

I've used Woodford Double Oaked as well as other bourbons and also sub'ed Cherry Marnier for the Heering.

IMAG0524-1.jpg

another I had at Bouchon in Yountville, CA (Napa valley) uses Nocino, a walnut liqueur instead of the cherry stuff--quite good, too.

77861e37-4449-4f07-a1ee-6e549a936ffc_zpsadf79292.jpg

5db0d515-d757-46e8-a23a-1c1c8e41d282_zpse1bc754c.jpg

Angels Envy Rye and an AF Best Seller after a great Sunday evening dinner. I do love this rye. It's not an everdayer, but is perfect at times like this. :yum:

Polished off a SAOS CS. I ended up having a love/hate relationship with this bottle. Like a child, it wasn't always doing exactly what I wanted it to, but then sometimes it would hit me just right and provide some great moments of satisfaction.

High West rendezvous Rye. First sip wAs a bit bitter / medicine hit to it but after a few minutes it dissipated and a little ice brought out some of the oak. Feel like all the spice is at the very end. Good. Not totally sure if I would buy it again. Gonna see how the last half goes

I found this interesting about the Willett that I'm drinking. I bought this today and noticed the sticker on the back that said distilled and Indiana. I have never bought one that had the sticker on it before.

post-9285-14489821420421_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489821420978_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!