What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Excellent suggestions jr. It does scream fall/winter.

Not a full week into summer and I can't wait for fall to get here.

Ah man, quit wishing my summer away. Just suck it and enjoy your AE Rye! :grin:

Finishing up a bottle of old WTR 101.

Mich 10 rye continues to grow on me. Put it next to Saz 18 right off the bat and it, of course, didn't measure up. But now its developing bit by bit. No surprise really, at least 65% of all rye misses the mark the first time out for me. But generally when I really don't like one, my stubborn mind is typically made up. Then again, put me in front of Rittenhouse 21 and its game over. I surrender.

I'm starting out the Holiday weekend with some HW MWND.

Some more Willett 2 year rye. This is a curious whiskey, and I think going back to try again is a good thing (?)

Some more Willett 2 year rye. This is a curious whiskey, and I think going back to try again is a good thing (?)

So. You happy with it?

Honestly, I don't know. But to be sure, I don't dislike it. And if anybody deserves the benefit of the doubt it's the guys at Willett. I'm not a fan of young whiskeys and I really was excited based on some reviews, but it's definitely a young rye (identifiable by the nose easily). But the profile and finish lend itself to an older rye. It's easily drinkable at full proof. At best it's a good whiskey from a great distillery. At worst it's a good sign for the future offerings.

Honestly, I don't know. But to be sure, I don't dislike it. And if anybody deserves the benefit of the doubt it's the guys at Willett. I'm not a fan of young whiskeys and I really was excited based on some reviews, but it's definitely a young rye (identifiable by the nose easily). But the profile and finish lend itself to an older rye. It's easily drinkable at full proof. At best it's a good whiskey from a great distillery. At worst it's a good sign for the future offerings.

Awesome, I grabbed two bottles the other day.

Nice pour of some BMH 18yr rye. Sure, I know the founding fathers weren't drinking rye with this kind of age on it, but it is the thought that counts :)

Had very enjoyable evening watching Ray Donovan and several pours of Baby Zaz

Moved to some RR 6yr. Fair whiskey, but one that won't be repurchased when gone (and thus, on the target list for expeditious consumption)

Alternating bites of a fabulous fresh Georgia peach with sips of a '13 TH Handy, while relaxing out back. Yummy combo. :yum:

Alternating bites of a fabulous fresh Georgia peach with sips of a '13 TH Handy, while relaxing out back. Yummy combo. :yum:

Forgive me Joe but I have to ask, are you talking fruit or flesh..:grin:

Healthy pour of some RR 6yr rye. Why is it that I seem to start enjoying some of these only when I'm down to the last 1/3 of the bottle? If the whole bottle hit me like this, it wouldn't have survived this long :)

Healthy pour of some RR 6yr rye. Why is it that I seem to start enjoying some of these only when I'm down to the last 1/3 of the bottle? If the whole bottle hit me like this, it wouldn't have survived this long :)

I love it when that happens. On the other hand when I sometime get to the last third and the bottle goes south it's major let down.

Like a red that is opened too early I'm thinking you need to give them more airtime between pouring and drinking. All that headspace in the bottle may be oxidizing it to your liking. Just a thought. Also, I'm very much a mood drinker and if I'm not in the mood for that pour, no matter how good it is, it's not going to do it for me.

From the first pour to the end of my only bottle, the impression I got was, "this would be dynamite at 50%". Over and over again, that phrase kept popping into my head, every time I smelled it, tasted it, looked at the glass...

Like a red that is opened too early I'm thinking you need to give them more airtime between pouring and drinking. All that headspace in the bottle may be oxidizing it to your liking. Just a thought. Also, I'm very much a mood drinker and if I'm not in the mood for that pour, no matter how good it is, it's not going to do it for me.

I'll continue my journey in skeptic land on air time but you got that mood thing right Big Rich :grin:.

I'll continue my journey in skeptic land on air time but you got that mood thing right Big Rich :grin:.

Thad, purely anecdotal evidence, but I have really only experienced the "airtime" phenomenon in old ryes. Saz18, Hirsch22 and especially the last VWFRR I opened all changed substantially for the better after being opened. However I have bourbons and young ryes opened for months with no discernible difference. The ryes lost harsh acetone/medicinal notes and opened up into beautiful pours.

And to keep the thread on topic mark me down for a pour of Family Reserve rye post work.

Edited by Old Dusty

Sazerac 6 year and Rittenhouse BIB are open. My first bottle of each, but Ritt is killing it. Very impressive for the price. Won't be seeking out another Saz unless it's the 18 year :)

Having a little pour of Michter's 10 year Rye.

[ATTACH]18874[/ATTACH]

What do you think if it? It was a little too smooth and sort of bland for my taste and at the price it goes for I expected fireworks.

Not bad just on the lower side of meh.

What do you think if it? It was a little too smooth and sort of bland for my taste and at the price it goes for I expected fireworks.

Not bad just on the lower side of meh.

I am going to post a bit more in-depth taste note in the main thread, but I've really begun to enjoy my bottle lately. Both my bottles is barrel 14C174. Initially it really tasted more like bourbon, then about a week later, the seemed to pick up more of that grassy rye flavor I get more younger ryes. It was actually a bit off putting and I didn't touch it for another month. But lately, it seems to have mellowed out a bit and there is layers of flavors I'm getting along with a nice sharp rye alcohol bite finish. Do I feel its worth the $100 msrp? Not really, but I do enjoy it and frequently want to reach for it. I found another bottle and didn't hesitate to buy it even though I paid more. However, the second bottle is the same barrel as my open bottle so I know what I'm getting.

Started with some Bulleit Rye (first pour from the bottle; reminds me of the JEP 100 proof NAS rye, which I enjoy), and moving back to the RR 6yr.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!