What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

BFerguson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Liter bottles of new-label WTR101 showed up at one of my regular stores today... One came home with me, to see if it tastes enough like the last release before the 81 proof version came out.

Mixed into a manhattan tonight (2.75oz rye, 1oz Cocchi Americano sweet vermouth, 0.25oz grade B maple Syrup, dash of orange bitters, four Luxardo cherries) and I'm happy... the taste is punchy and enjoyable, close to what I remember.

Edited by Kalessin

Stopped off at a store I watch on the way back from a funeral as they have been discounting poor sellers. Today they had two bottles of masterson's rye for $40/bottle so I decided to get them. I love it when stores discount. I told the manager I would be happy to give him a list of whiskies I felt needed to be discounted. He laughed and said he wasn't ready to start looking for a new job.

Trying some craft distillers: Old Potrero 18th Century Style and Corsair Ryemageddon.

Trying some craft distillers: Old Potrero 18th Century Style and Corsair Ryemageddon.

Snagged a Redemption Barrel Proof and a bottle of the James Pepper Rye. I like the Willet 4 year stuff, but the last batch of it locally has hit the $40 mark. Figured I'd give the Pepper a try considering it's the same stuff just a few points lower. We'll see how it goes.

Snagged a Redemption Barrel Proof and a bottle of the James Pepper Rye. I like the Willet 4 year stuff, but the last batch of it locally has hit the $40 mark. Figured I'd give the Pepper a try considering it's the same stuff just a few points lower. We'll see how it goes.

Let us know what you think and how they compare.

Got a couple H22s and an H21 today. I wasn't fortunate to bunker a bunch of V21/VWFRR/etc when they were more readily available and cheaper, but I really adore these and I'm happy to have plenty.

Ditto Mark. I haven't compared the JEP to the WFER (yet), but I rather like the JEP, despite being "over 2 years old" (meaning 24.1 months probably) and a lower proof. Different kind of rye I thought.

Gary - I always think of you when I hear about JEP. I know you like it and I think we have very similar tastes. Mike

Well then sir, you must like good stuff, and not like stuff that is not good :D

I know the NAS stuff takes some heat here and elsewhere, but I remember a Willett tasting where they served us some 2 yr rye next to the 4 yr. You could tell the difference, but it was just that - different. I didn't think the 2 yr was bad in any way/shape/form. True, the price (around $30 here IIRC) seems steep when you can pick up Ritt BIB for under $20, but it's much different - and I appreciate the variety!

Sadly nothing today. But tomorrow is another day. And its been a day I've been thinking about for the last three weeks, as long as it is still there......

:70358-devil:

B

Sadly nothing today. But tomorrow is another day. And its been a day I've been thinking about for the last three weeks, as long as it is still there......

:70358-devil:

B

(Head hanging, kicking the dirt on the ground)

Yesterday I went to the honey hole, a magicAl store where I have slowly pulled out many wonderful bottles over the last year.

I returned with with something very specific in mind this time. Rye. Old rye. Rittenhouse. Multiple bottles.

I start in the store not going straight to them, I wanted the excitement to build as I worked my way to them. Liked at what else they had, multiple flavors of JPS, EC21, POH, and some other interesting things. But then I made my way to the cabinet. Imagine my excitement when I saw it empty. My heart sank.

I asked the the lady working the counter about them. She remembered them well and said a guy came in and bought them all. Dam. I wanted to be that guy!!!!

lesson learned, don't hesitate. If you want it, it may not be there to tomorrow. Or months down the road when you get back to visiting it.

oh well.

B

So with that, has anybody here snagged such a description lately?

I'd feel better if it went to somebody here rather than a flipper.

B

Lets not pine for days of yore, lost loves and promises unfilled. Just save up a stash of cash and wait for the next opportunity.

That's a trick a client taught me years ago and it's surprisingly effective. He always dealt in cash, sometimes surprisingly large amounts, and got good deals. I've seen him counting out $100 dollar bills on the desk top (decorating the mahogany as the old lawyers used to say) and the impression worked.

Say you come across an old dusty priced at $49.95, it's something you want and actually worth a bit more. Offer him $35.00 cash right now and lay a $20, $10 and a $5 on the counter. If he balks add another $5 and say, "$40 and that's my best offer". He may well take it, he's moving some old stock and saving a bit on credit card charges. Not really much of a difference it but there's something alluring about cash right now. It just sweetens the deal somehow, especially if you're dealing with the owner.

Sage advice Squire.

No more lamenting here, that moment has passed.

In my short time on earth, I've learned that in anything sporting, it as much fun to talk about the one that got away, as it is to share the tail of the catch of the day.

Besides, that makes what we do fun, as you never know what is around the next corner......

B

Thanks to a couple fellow SBer's, picked up A Midwinters Nights Dram! Also grabbed some SAOS cask strength 8yr rye :yum:

Not as much as I was hoping this weekend. Did not land any FR Gift shop bottles. Did end up getting a case of FRSB, a family size YL, and three WT Diamond, although two of those are for a buddy.

Best regards, tony

Thanks to a couple fellow SBer's, picked up A Midwinters Nights Dram! Also grabbed some SAOS cask strength 8yr rye :yum:

Baby Saz. So pleased to get it out the door for 25 bucks that I picked up 3 bottles.

-Mike

Baby Saz. So pleased to get it out the door for 25 bucks that I picked up 3 bottles.

-Mike

Nice score Mike! :grin: Best prices I've seen in a while have been between $30-$35 a bottle. Enjoy.

...and a week later I finally can't pass up Angel's Envy Rye. On sale for $65. Can't wait to cut into this one tonight.

My first bottle of Mitcher's 10 yr. Looking forward to my first pour.

Picked up an AE Rye for the bunker.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!