What rye did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2014

BFerguson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I understand due to the rum casks, but variety is the spice of life..plus if they don't like it better for folks like us cause it will be easier to find

I LOVE that stuff. Many purists don't though

Pure of heart, pure of spirit, pure of thought, yep, that's us.

Grabbed a Baby Saz when the opportunity arose since it's pretty much nonexistent in the Phoenix area. Now I can stop nursing my open bottle.!

Picked up a James E Pepper rye for $30. Figured what the heck.

You will be surprised just how good this is for $30 and will probably go back for more. :grin:

I found a bottle of Hirsch 21 rye at a local store yesterday. I browse this store fairly often and never noticed it before, so I grabbed it. I've not had Hirsch 21, but hope it resembles the Vintage/BMH 21s I used to enjoy. Especially since I didn't have the foresight to stash any of those away (although I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time). Fingers crossed -- I'll post notes when I open it, hopefully this weekend.

I found a bottle of Hirsch 21 rye at a local store yesterday. I browse this store fairly often and never noticed it before, so I grabbed it. I've not had Hirsch 21, but hope it resembles the Vintage/BMH 21s I used to enjoy. Especially since I didn't have the foresight to stash any of those away (although I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time). Fingers crossed -- I'll post notes when I open it, hopefully this weekend.

I have found the 22 to be woody but drinkable. Interested to see if one year less in the barrel helps.

I have found the 22 to be woody but drinkable. Interested to see if one year less in the barrel helps.

Thanks for your notes, and I look forward to giving you my thoughts. For now, I'll say that I enjoyed BMH 18 and 21, as well as Vintage 21, but found the BMH 23 and Willett 24 ryes I tasted to be one step beyond my "happy zone" for extra-aged ryes. Perhaps we have similar taste expectations -- I found the older ryes to be very woody and tannic, and full of the flavor of dark fruits seemingly on the verge of going rotten (if that makes any sense). That said, I liked them with water or ice (or both), but found them very challenging in a way I didn't find the 21 year-olds and younger.

yep, i have had the opportunity to sample 24/25 yr ryes and they are over oaked for my palate. The 22 straddles the line. I have a V21 sample from a generous SBer that I will get to shortly and can't wait to SBS it w the H22.

exceptions for the BMH 23 and the Doug Phillips ryes which are legendary and deservedly so.

I started the year off drinking scotch. I found that I liked drinking the real peaty, smokey and woody stuff (like Ardbeg, Lagvulin, and the likes). Around March, I ventured out to bourbon w/ BT, FR, RHF and Blantons. While all were just fine, none of them stood out to me as something I'd drink daily. Then I found CEHT SB and BP, HM BIB and Lot 40, which are all on the spicy side, and lead me to purchase a few rye's this weekend:

- Rittenhouse BIB

- James E. Pepper

- Willett Rye

- CEHT Rye

...and 4 bottles of HM BIB

I'm finding that Rye is where its at for me. I like the peppery spice, the cinnamon and clove, the citrus, the brineyness and I like the 100 proof stuff (maybe even a tad bit higher as I often put a splash of BP CETH in either of my CETH SB or rye - is adding BP bourbon to my rye an unspoken rule breaker?). Anyways, I'm glad to have finally settled in on a bourbon flavor profile I like.

The HM BIB is just about a daily pour for me, though I can see either JEP or maybe the Ritt bottles getting daily twist out of me as well...

Edited by Jiggity

Picked another bottle of Pepper 76 for the bunker and another SAOSR for the bar.

Passed on a High West 21 year Rye since I am fairly new to rye. But after reading old posts on the forum here about it, I am thinking I should go back.

Picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye. Store select 8yr cask strength. 125.2 proof. Barrel 230. This bottle is great. I will be picking up a couple more before that barrel is sold out. If all the other stuff from Smooth Ambler is this good, I want to find more!

Picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye. Store select 8yr cask strength. 125.2 proof. Barrel 230. This bottle is great. I will be picking up a couple more before that barrel is sold out. If all the other stuff from Smooth Ambler is this good, I want to find more!

I have one of these - a store select by TPS. I agree with your assessment that it's a great bottle.

It's pretty good stuff

Amen to that. I haven't found any SAOS bottles that weren't just delicious!

Big rye day for me. I picked up 3 bottles of THH 2013, and 2 bottles of Bulleit Rye.

Snagged a SB/barrel proof SAOS today (7yr/62.2%). Looks like molasses in a bottle! :grin:

I'm in Bardstown right now. Just picked up a bottle of the Willett made 2 yr rye. Just released for sale today . $35.

Another Wisers Legacy for the bunker. Love that it's cheaper here than back in Canada.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!