What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like it is time for a new thread. I'm enjoying The McQueen, which I am making with the Mezcal that Max Power recommended earlier today in the Tequila thread.

1 oz. Speyside Scotch (used Balvenie Carribean Cask)

1 oz. Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)

.5 oz agave syrup (equal parts dark agave and water)

1 dash orange bitters

1 dash Bittermans Xocolatl Mole bitters

Stir over ice and strain into glass rinsed with Ardbeg 10.

Pretty excellent.

Manhattan Thursday is here...well it wasnt a thing before but is now because I like celebrating things that end in drinking bourbon

2 oz WTR101

0.5 oz WTRB

1/4 oz dolin rouge

1/4 oz dolin blance

1/4 oz dolin bitter

6 dashes agnostura bitters

Martini Friday is here! Because yeh...it is

2.5 oz tanqueray 10

0.5 oz dolin dry

Double jalapeno garnish on a toothpick, swirled in the drink then left in the bottom

It's halftime of the basketball game, decided a Manhattan is in order:

Handy/Noilly/Angostura orange bitters

I sometimes think the Handy is a little luxurious for a cocktail, but man is it good

I'm all for top shelf booze in my cocktails but that is a helluva strong Manhattan. What was your ratio?

Bought a bottle of Averna and am really enjoying it. Having a cocktail called The Lux now:

2ptRye

1ptAmaro, Averna

1⁄2ptMaraschino Liqueur

1twstOrange peel (as garnish)

Stir and strain over large cube.

I'm all for top shelf booze in my cocktails but that is a helluva strong Manhattan. What was your ratio?

Tonight it was 4:1 rye/vermouth. I usually run anywhere 3:1 to 5:1

I had a Manhattan with Sazerac rye just now, 4:1...not near as tasty as the Handy

• 2 weeks later...
Bought a bottle of Averna and am really enjoying it. Having a cocktail called The Lux now:

2ptRye

1ptAmaro, Averna

1⁄2ptMaraschino Liqueur

1twstOrange peel (as garnish)

Stir and strain over large cube.

It's a good one. The Averna is also very good on its own over ice with a lemon twist.

I have been trying different ryes, dry/sweet vermouth, bitters, in my Manhattan's trying to find that "sweet spot".

Tonight it's:

Baby Saz

Noilly dry

4:1 rye/vermouth

several shakes Fee Bros cherry bitters

I really dig it, but I think it can be better.. no wow factor

I've been loving the black Manhattans of late but I thought I would switch it up tonight. So I'm sipping on a daiquiri made with 1 part fresh lime juice (the lime is from my own tree), a teaspoon of sugar (stirred for quite a while until well dissolved well into the lime juice) and 3 parts Rhum JM Blanc (agricole).

It's taken me some time to come to grips with this rhum agricole because it's so raw and vegetal and unlike anything I've ever tried before but man it has plenty of character a makes for a memorable daiquiri. If one could sip on a Caribbean rainforest, I'd imagine it would be something like this

Heading to a work event this evening and one of the guys invited us over to his home ahead of time and said that his wife makes a fine Old Fashioned. Looking forward to it.

Best regards, Tony

Enjoying several Manhattans. First with Bulleit Rye, now with Binny's 4RSB OESK 118 proof. Wow, good stuff!

Finally broke down and purchased a bottle of Carpano Antica Vermouth. So went straight into a super premium manhattan.

First one was:

2oz Thomas Handy

1oz Antica

3 drops Orange Bitters

3 drops Decanter Bitters

Garnished with 2 luxardo Cherries.

Thought the Handy would hold its own but, the Antica is not your typical vermouth (much fuller profile). This was really good. It is very apparent the added depth the Antica provides. I made a 2nd batch and followed the same recipe but, used 3oz THH instead of 2 and this one was right in my wheel house one of the best Manhattans I have had.

Anyone else have some recommendations for the Antica?

Anyone else have some recommendations for the Antica?

Well, maybe one or two...

Anywhere sweet vermouth goes Carpano can and should go!

Here is one that is a bit exotic but I like. May require picking up yet another bottle I featured recently at the Sampler. And the name seems appropriate!

It is a "reverse" Cynar Manhattan of sorts.

Colonel Carpano

1 1⁄2 oz Cynar

1 1⁄2 oz Bourbon (Buffalo Trace was suggested in the original recipe)

3⁄4 oz Sweet vermouth - Carpano Antica of course!

2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

1 twist Orange peel

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass then add large ice cubes. Stir then strain over large ice. Garnish with an orange peel expressed and inserted into the drink.

Here is one that is a bit exotic but I like. May require picking up yet another bottle I featured recently at the Sampler. And the name seems appropriate!

It is a "reverse" Cynar Manhattan of sorts.

Colonel Carpano

1 1⁄2 oz Cynar

1 1⁄2 oz Bourbon (Buffalo Trace was suggested in the original recipe)

3⁄4 oz Sweet vermouth - Carpano Antica of course!

1 twist Orange peel

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass then add large ice cubes. Stir then strain over large ice. Garnish with an orange peel expressed and inserted into the drink.

Thanks for the info. Cynar Never heard of it. Its not available at the St run stores. Next time I am out of St I'll keep a lookout. Looks interesting, sounds a little like Chartruese would that be a viable sub. Thats sitting on the shelf looking for a reason to justify its real estate.

Thanks for the info. Cynar Never heard of it. Its not available at the St run stores. Next time I am out of St I'll keep a lookout. Looks interesting, sounds a little like Chartruese would that be a viable sub. Thats sitting on the shelf looking for a reason to justify its real estate.

I don't believe they would be particularly interchangeable. Cynar and other bitter amaros tend to be different from the very herbal and high proof green chartreuse (even yellow chartreuse is a bit different from its better known sibling green chartreuse).

But there are certainly drinks that use both Carpano and green chartreuse!

Fontainebleau

1 1⁄2 oz Rye, Rittenhouse 100

1⁄2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula

1⁄2 oz Green Chartreuse

1⁄2 oz Orange liqueur (I would probably suggest Cointreau, Combier or Ferrand dry curacao which generally have less sugar than regular curacao)

Stir with ice, strain over a large ice cube, garnish with a lemon twist.

I like Carpano a lot. But I've tried a whole lot of sweet vermouths for my cocktails, and I've found that I like Cocchi Vermouth di Torino best.

http://www.cocchi.it/eng/vermouth_torino.htm

Carpano is about $40 for a 1 liter bottle and the Cocchi is $20 for 750 ml.

Here's my favorite Manhattan recipe:

A Very Cocchi Manhattan

INGREDIENTS

• 2 oz Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey

• 1 oz Cocchi Vermouth di Torino

• 1 Dash of Angostura Bitters

• 5 drops of Regan’s Orange Bitters

DIRECTIONS

Shake with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with a flamed orange peel.

Put the vermouth back in the refrigerator!

Heading to a work event this evening and one of the guys invited us over to his home ahead of time and said that his wife makes a fine Old Fashioned. Looking forward to it.

Best regards, Tony

I was just in Kentucky and asked for an Old Fashioned, and I was *shocked* to receive one that had Club Soda in it! What the hell?

I hope yours was better; this one is:

Rye Old Fashioned

Simple, small, classic. Comfort in a glass.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 oz Rittenhouse Rye 100

• ½ Tbsp simple syrup

• 2-3 dashes Fee Brothers orange bitters

• 1 dash Angostura bitters

• Slice of orange peel.

DIRECTIONS

Combine all except the rye into an Old Fashioned glass.

Coat the entire inside of the glass with this mixture.

In a separate mixing glass, combine the rye and ice and stir until chilled.

Strain into the Old Fashioned glass into which has been placed one large "rock" ice cube.

Flame the orange peel over the drink.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54324/how-to-flame-a-citrus-peel/

I like Carpano a lot. But I've tried a whole lot of sweet vermouths for my cocktails, and I've found that I like Cocchi Vermouth di Torino best.

http://www.cocchi.it/eng/vermouth_torino.htm

Yes, I agree that Cocchi is excellent as well and priced very favorably. A bit more citrus and a bit less vanilla to me. I tend to find Carpano closer to $35 for the liter but that is still a bit more than Cocchi. Both are a great choice and are worthy of your favorite cocktail!

Yes, I agree that Cocchi is excellent as well and priced very favorably. A bit more citrus and a bit less vanilla to me. I tend to find Carpano closer to $35 for the liter but that is still a bit more than Cocchi. Both are a great choice and are worthy of your favorite cocktail!

And both are delightful in a glass by themselves or with a splash of soda and a twist I might add!

I don't believe they would be particularly interchangeable. Cynar and other bitter amaros tend to be different from the very herbal and high proof green chartreuse (even yellow chartreuse is a bit different from its better known sibling green chartreuse).

But there are certainly drinks that use both Carpano and green chartreuse!

Fontainebleau

1 1⁄2 oz Rye, Rittenhouse 100

1⁄2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula

1⁄2 oz Green Chartreuse

1⁄2 oz Orange liqueur (I would probably suggest Cointreau, Combier or Ferrand dry curacao which generally have less sugar than regular curacao)

Stir with ice, strain over a large ice cube, garnish with a lemon twist.

Leaving for the Derby tomorrow and am gearing up for the trip with Juleps this evening. The first was a classic bourbon mint julep made with OGD 114, mint, and 2:1 simple syrup. The second was Georgia Julep adapted from Jerry Thomas' 1862 recipe made with Cognac, Combier peach liqueur, and mint. All ice was properly pulverized in a Lewis bag.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.