What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Leaving for the Derby tomorrow and am gearing up for the trip with Juleps this evening. The first was a classic bourbon mint julep made with OGD 114, mint, and 2:1 simple syrup. The second was Georgia Julep adapted from Jerry Thomas' 1862 recipe made with Cognac, Combier peach liqueur, and mint. All ice was properly pulverized in a Lewis bag.

Oaks Day is as much fun (if not more) than the Derby. Enjoy yourself in the infield. Your training from Sampler should do you well there!

A Manhattan before heading out for dinner. 2.5 parts rye versus 1 part vermouth is looking to be my go-to ratio.

For derby day, a basil julip

2 OZ OWA

1 tsp cane syrup

3 basil leafs

Dang, I'm a day late...But a mint julep this evening out by the pond. I figure it counterbalances the margaritas from last night at our 2 day early Cinco de Mayo party. :D

I'm not typically much of a cocktail drinker unless Bruce is making them but I'm waiting for my wife for our anniversary dinner at Local Three and their barrel aged "Flaming Lips" is decadent! FRYL, Hibiscus, King's Ginger, Peychauds, celery bitters, and a cardamom clove cinnamon tincture.

Edited by BigRich

Just tried a variation on a Horse's Neck:

1.5 oz Old Forester Signature 100 proof

4 dashes angostura bitters

Pour in highball glass with ice.

Top with ginger ale - I used Canada Dry.

Stir and enjoy!

Gold Rush

2oz. Bourbon(OGD BIB for me)

2oz. Domaine de Canton

1oz. Fresh lemon juice

shake w ice and serve up in a chilled martini glass

garnish w luxardo cherry.

Having some sort of word/ward while i work around the house.

post-9652-14489820862665_thumb.jpg

Beautiful day in NYC and working on some variations on the Stone Fence. Had some nice Virginia hard cider to play with. Very dry. Started by adding Stagg Jr and Byrrh Rare Assemblage. Next round, cracked a bottle of the Angel's Envy rye and added that to the cider. The AE is actually less sweet than I remembered but that gingerbread flavor really rings out. For me, this is a good use for this bottle but I'm the kind of apostate who'll add fine whiskey to anything. Well maybe not Red Bull but there's a first time for everything.

-Mike

A lazy, cool, and rainy day here, so figured I'd lounge around with my Bloody Mary made with Dixie Dew corn whiskey and a couple of pieces of cooked bacon as a garnishment. Don't even need lunch! A big ol nap was tucked in there today, too...:D

A lazy, cool, and rainy day here, so figured I'd lounge around with my Bloody Mary made with Dixie Dew corn whiskey and a couple of pieces of cooked bacon as a garnishment. Don't even need lunch! A big ol nap was tucked in there today, too...:D

Nice one, I too love a bloody mary made with whiskey and bacon, a nicely wooded tequila is up there for me too.

Made myself a whiskey sour yesterday-

OGD114

Lemon juice

Egg White

Simple syrup

Really good.

Best regards, Tony

Beautiful Saturday back from a bike ride in the country and sipping a "Kentucky Corpse Reviver" (appropriate for my out of shape carcass)

Equal parts bourbon, Cointreau,and Lillet Blanc and 3/4 part lemon juice shaken and poured into a chilled coup or martini glass(or in my case in a Tervis rocks glass). Garnish with a mint sprig.

Do you elect not to include the traditional rinse of absinthe in the Corpse Reviver #2 or is that not part of the Kentucky version?

I find I tend to like them better with Cocchi Americano, which more closely resembles the original Kina Lillet from the prohibition era of this cocktail over the present day Lillet Blanc.

Beautiful Saturday back from a bike ride in the country and sipping a "Kentucky Corpse Reviver" (appropriate for my out of shape carcass)

Equal parts bourbon, Cointreau,and Lillet Blanc and 3/4 part lemon juice shaken and poured into a chilled coup or martini glass(or in my case in a Tervis rocks glass). Garnish with a mint sprig.

Bruce, no absinthe in the KY version though I have seen the addition of bitters to more closely mimic the Kina Lillet which I gather had a more bitter profile. But the Cocchi is a good call as well.

I really like the Kina L'Avion D'Or to play the role of the Kina Lillet. Cocchi Americano is really good too

I really like the Kina L'Avion D'Or to play the role of the Kina Lillet. Cocchi Americano is really good too

I keep meaning to check that out. Is it pretty common to find? Or is it a Tower or H&F kind of bottle?

The 2 small mint plants I threw into the garden last year are producing prodigious amounts of new sprouts that are absolutely gorgeously pungent. Obviously then, it's going into today's Mint Julep. Awesome on a warm late afternoon here, Down South.

I keep meaning to check that out. Is it pretty common to find? Or is it a Tower or H&F kind of bottle?

It is not everywhere, but I've seen it at Tower, H&F, and Mac's.

Up to now I've been a straight bourbon/rye guy but my daughter, who is more in to cocktails, convinced me to start experimenting with Manhattan's. I tried Rittenhouse 100 bib, Baby Saz and OGDBIB. I gotta say I preferred the Rittenhouse over the others due to the added spice.

Up to now I've been a straight bourbon/rye guy but my daughter, who is more in to cocktails, convinced me to sperimenting with Manhattan's. I tried Rittenhouse 100 bib, Baby Saz and OGDBIB. I gotta say I preferred the Rittenhouse over the others due to the added spice.

Enjoying a nice old fashioned made with OGD BiB and peychaud's bitters. Just recently picked up my first bottle of peychaud's after taking many years to finish a bottle of angostura and I'm really liking how the peychaud's works in an old fashioned.

Had a Negroni while getting the BGE up and running and then had a Paper Airplane with Dinner once it was ready to eat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.