What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

made my first mint julip (sp)? made it with mint obviously, 2 teaspoons sugar, small amount seltzer water, 3 ounces woodford reserve double oaked, full glass of crushed ice and mint on top with straw..not really my thing but i been hearing so much about this drink i said what the hell one time wont kill me..

Gerry, lots of fantastic Manhattan recipes to be found here, check them out. I, and most of the brethren here will agree, that rye whiskey is the go to hooch. And if you have access to higher proof offerings, such as Willett or Smooth Ambler, give them a try. It will rock your world..:toast:

I usually go with Rittenhouse 100 for my Manhattans, but grabbed a bottle of Willett recently.

When I want to use Bourbon, I find that OGD114 has enough spice to work well.

Having a Midnight Stinger at the Oakland. It is bourbon, lemon and Fernet

Having a Midnight Stinger at the Oakland. It is bourbon, lemon and Fernet

Ooh. Just looked that up, and it sounds tasty, Tony. I may give that ago in a bit.

Ooh. Just looked that up, and it sounds tasty, Tony. I may give that ago in a bit.

I would say go for it, I really enjoyed it and now need to go buy some Fernet so I can make it at home.

Best regards, Tony

Hidden

In the summer, I like to take a bold bourbon and pour just a taste on a large ice cube. (I have the 2" x 2" square cubes.) Just swirl it a few times and drink it. Little melt, full taste. Repeat every few minutes. :-)

Tonight it's ECBP batch #3. This goes really well with this treatment. Cheers!

I would say go for it, I really enjoyed it and now need to go buy some Fernet so I can make it at home.

Best regards, Tony

I saw a recipe that had a mint sprig as a garnish. How about yours?

Just procured some Luxardo Maraschino liqueur so had to try a Red Hook. Very tasty and, I think, open to some variations. I had to improvise with no Punt e Mes on hand. Just used Carpano Antica and Fee Bros Barrel Aged Bitters. Also used Jeff10 rye. May go up the proof chain on the next go around. Maybe Willett FE.

Edit,here is the original recipe I started from:

Red Hook

2 ounces rye whiskey

1/2 ounce Punt e Mes

1/4 – 1/2 ounce maraschino, to taste

Stir with ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass.

Edited by Old Dusty

No idea what it's called, but my wife heard the word "bourbon' on TV and wrote it down for me.

Muddled strawberries, mint, sugar, and vanilla bean, with Bourbon (EC12) and Club Soda. Not bad on a hot evening.

No idea what it's called, but my wife heard the word "bourbon' on TV and wrote it down for me.

Muddled strawberries, mint, sugar, and vanilla bean, with Bourbon (EC12) and Club Soda. Not bad on a hot evening.

Boulevardier with ECBP, Carpano Antica and Campari.

Both of these sound great, and it so happens I have all of the raw materials on hand ... guess I have my afternoon planned!

Got a pork butt going on the smoker, the tomato caprese chilling in the fridge, and the sun is starting to melt the morning cloud cover away. So, mixed me up a Pimm's Cup, and lazily sippin' away on the back patio...ahhhhh!

Sipping away on a 3:2:2 Boulevardier (WT86.8:Martini Red Vermouth:Campari). Excellent stuff, though still undecided if I prefer it to a Negroni. I think that decision will require a SBS tasting :grin:

Grilling brat burgers (Johnsonville product if you haven't seen them. Terrific w a thick slice of Vidalia and spicy mustard but I digress) keeping cool while doing so with a Gold Rush again. 2:1.5 ECBP/Domaine de Canton w a healthy squeeze of lemon juice plus a twist.

Finally picked up a bottle of Green Chartreuse. So far, I've made a Bijou (1 oz. Plymouth Gin, 1 oz. Carpano Antico, 1 oz. Green Chartreuse, dash orange bitters) and a similar drink called The Beauty Spot using the same three spirits in a 2:1:1 ratio. Next up is the Tipperary using 2 oz. Irish whisky, .75 oz. Carpano Antico, and .5 oz. Chartreuse).

The Green Chartreuse goes a long way in a cocktail but adds a lot of complexity. It is expensive (around $60) but I highly recommend.

The Green Chartreuse goes a long way in a cocktail but adds a lot of complexity. It is expensive (around $60) but I highly recommend.

Dave, this and Fernet Branca are the next two cocktail components on my acquisition list. Out of curiosity what brand did you pick up?

I was not aware that there were multiple brands. I got this one, which is the only brand I've seen.

radasyty.jpg

There is indeed only one true Chartreuse! Well, two I suppose. The powerfully herbal green and the more subtle sweeter yellow. If you must choose only one definitely go green!

There are a few alternatives like Genepy des Alpes for green and Strega for yellow but they are not really quite the same. Which is probably partly why it costs so much!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I was not aware that there were multiple brands. I got this one, which is the only brand I've seen.

radasyty.jpg

Notice you have the luxardo maraschino back there as well. I can not recommend enough the Last Word cocktail - 1oz each - Green Chartreuse, Luxardo maraschino, Gin (dry London style) and Lime Juice.

Definitely going to do the Last Word. Would have made it last night but did not have any limes.

There are a few alternatives like Genepy des Alpes for green and Strega for yellow but they are not really quite the same. Which is probably partly why it costs so much!

I felt better about the price when I realized it was 110 proof!

I felt better about the price when I realized it was 110 proof!

The real cost is all those monks gently masticating all the herbs for your drinking pleasure...

There is indeed only one true Chartreuse! Well, two I suppose. The powerfully herbal green and the more subtle sweeter yellow. If you must choose only one definitely go green!

Thanks guys for the info. And the Last Word sounds stellar.

Made my boo her favorite cocktail for her and myself - the Pimm's cup.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.