What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Still no limes to make the Last Word, but the Chartreuse experimentation continues. Starting with a very boozy Diamondback, which is 1.5 oz. Rittenhouse, .75 oz. Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy, and .75 oz. Green Chartreuse. This might be my favorite yet.

hute8uze.jpg

Boozy is an understatement for the Diamondback! Although I find that much Chartreuse, even the green, tends to push this drink towards the sweet side. Of course in my book that is perfectly fine!

If you really want to push some boundaries and don't mind a bit of sweetness (and it will take at least one bottle you probably don't have, the pear eau de vie from St. George. It is in Georgia but not cheap) consider trying:

The Art of Choke

California Widow

Still no limes to make the Last Word, but the Chartreuse experimentation continues. Starting with a very boozy Diamondback, which is 1.5 oz. Rittenhouse, .75 oz. Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy, and .75 oz. Green Chartreuse. This might be my favorite yet.

hute8uze.jpg

I need to get myself a bottle of Green Chartreuse. It seems there are quite a few (tasty sounding) cocktails which use it. Plus I have a lime tree in the garden that's loaded with fruit :grin:

Tonight I tried a little experiment, basically a Boulevardier but with port in place of the vermouth. I went 2:1:1 (Bourbon:Port:Campari) and while it was drinkable, the Port was too much. It managed to overpower the Campari and throw the balance out too far in the way of sweetness IMO. Should have seen that coming really.

Also, this marked a bottle kill by using the last oz. in my WT86.8 bottle. I'm a little disappointed I didn't send it out with a better showing. Oh well!

In a cocktail mood so I popped open the vermouth and made a Viex Carre.

2:1 80 proof Canadian rye to Dolins sweet vermouth w/ angostura to taste on the rocks. Trying to use up the Canadian (well, Pendleton). A little too sweet and not enough rye (can you believe it?).

Made my boo her favorite cocktail for her and myself - the Pimm's cup.

Just bought a bottle. Getting ready for Summer. It's one of my wife's faves, and I like to add gin to taste (my taste of course) to mine.

Beginning the transition from the beer that quenched my yard work induced thirst, to an evening of spirits, with a Boulevardier. 2 parts 4RSB : 1 part Gran Classico Bitter : Smidge of Vya vermouth (honestly, I ain't a fan of sweet vermouth, so I go light on it in cocktails that call for it), and lemon peel. Very nice, but I'm thinkin' a bit more bourbon and a touch less GCB. The Gran Classico is gorgeous, but it packs a lot of flavor that is a little much here, and muted the whiskey too much for me. Back to the lab...Sometimes, to err can bring nice benefits! :lol:

Red Hooks , Boulevardiers and Gold Rush's at my place tonight. May have turned bucky1 into a cocktail guy. Three ingredient limit though:grin:

Just got done enjoying a steak and egg lunch, with a delicious Mellow Corn bloody mary. I love Sunday

Well, you boys talked me in to one! :D. Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey for mine...and 2 pieces of bacon. :yum: Hey Phil, do you use a mix, or make your of BM mix? I've been enjoying Zing Zang for mine, but I do throw some Lea & Perrins, Bay seasoning, and celery bitters in there...and the bacon.

Well, you boys talked me in to one! :D. Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey for mine...and 2 pieces of bacon. :yum: Hey Phil, do you use a mix, or make your of BM mix? I've been enjoying Zing Zang for mine, but I do throw some Lea & Perrins, Bay seasoning, and celery bitters in there...and the bacon.

Hey Joe. More often then not, I use a mix. Usually Mr & Mrs T, bold and spicy or Zing Zang. Both very tasty. I also add some Worcestershire and some Beau Monde seasoning. And of course the bacon, gots to have the bacon!

I like the idea of the bitters, never thought of that. Next time I'm at TPS, I'll check out what they have

***Ok, a quick glance at the TPS website tells me I'm going to pick up some celery bitters, and Bittermens Hellfire Habanero Shrub bitters. . Damn that sounds tasty. Will report back

Edited by Phil T

Those two bitters would be awesome in a Bloody Mary. I'm gonna pick them up too!

Manhattan tonight:ECBP/Carpano Antica/Fee Bros rhubarb bitters. Went w the rhubarb for a changup probably prefer the regular or my standard orange.

Double Old Fashioned glass, 3/4 full of ice. Splash of simple syrup, 4 shakes Angostura, 4 shakes Fees Orange bitters, fill glass to 2/3 full with EWBIB, and give it a splash of water and a cherry. Stir for a bit, and enjoy.

Had a great Old Fashioned earlier this week made with bacon infused Four Roses, tasty.

Best regards, Tony

Had a great Old Fashioned earlier this week made with bacon infused Four Roses, tasty.

Best regards, Tony

I had a bacon infused Old Fashioned at the Bourbon Bistro last year and it was damn good. One day I must make my own infusion. In the mean time, I have been making a lot of regular Old Fashions with some home made Orange bitters.

Oh My God...

HEAVEN!!

A friend was kind enough to send me some TORNADO!!!

I keep a bottle of Green Chartreuse in my freezer (inspired by the ZZ Top song). I keep meaning to pick up a bottle of St. Germaine, and replace my long emptied Campari, but keep spending all the budget on Bourbon.

Just checked into the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans and am minutes away from a Sazerac or Vieux Carre at the Carousel Bar!

Just checked into the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans and am minutes away from a Sazerac or Vieux Carre at the Carousel Bar!

Oh yeah?!?! Well, I'm cleaning my garage, which has been fit for neither man, nor beast...I'm sweatin' like a pig, covered with dust, dirt, and cobwebs. Sneezin' like a banshee, killed 2 black widows, wonderin' how in the H-E- double hockey sticks I'm gonna get all this crap back IN the garage...and this gin and tonic is tastin' as good as any Voox Carry at yer Hotel Montyhall...!! :D.

Delta is ready when I am...I can meet y'all at the bar in a coupla hours... please!:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.