What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A Father's Day Eve top shelf Manhattan. THH/Carpano Antica/Fee Bros Barrel Aged Bitters/Luxardo cherry garnish.

Had a few Manhattans tonight at a wedding. Makers top shelf tonight, but could have been worse.

Kentucky Mule on a gorgeous Father's Day afternoon. (OGD BIB/lime juice/Barritt's ginger beer/highball).

I had a couple Old Fashions this weekend with a some RittBIB, Angostura Orange bitters and simple syrup. They were great.

Made myself a batch of black tea infused EC12 and stirred up the Reverend Palmer. Thing was delicious while tending the BBQ.

2oz Black Tea Infused EC12

1/2oz House made Lemon Simple Syrup

2 dashes Dead Rabbit Orinoco Bitters

Lemon Twist

Playing around with some gin based cocktail. The aviation and Gary Regan's variant, the Moonlight Cocktail.

Both with Aviation gin - a great US gin.

It's a Manhattan start to the weekend. Handy rye/Carpano Antica/orange bitters/Luxardo cherries. I can't top this at my home bar. And I'm having a hard time setting aside any of the Handy for neat sipping. Maybe later :cool:

Experimented with a low-carb whiskey sour mix this evening. It was a good first attempt. Threw 8 packets of Splenda into 1 cup of water, added 1/4 cup lemon juice and 3 Tbsp of lime juice (plus ice, and 2 oz of 1792 RR). Pretty decent, although I think I'll use a bit less water and a bit more lemon juice for the next go. Based on my calculations, it should wind up at around 31 calories and 6 carbs (compared to 90 calories and 23 carbs for the mix I typically get off the shelf). Don't get me wrong - I'm sure in a side by side I would pick the other one, but pretty satisfying none-the-less!

Red Hook- 2 oz.THH/1oz. Carpano Antica/.75 oz. Luxardo liqueur. Stirred in a rocks glass w a 2" cube. Garnish w Luxardo cherries. I may have a hard time making cocktails without Handy in the future. It's a whole new level of flavor.

Started off with EWSB04 bloody mary, added some celery bitters for the first time and of course a strip of bacon. The EWSB04 doesn't have enough umph for this IMHO, it's best neat sipping.

Then I tried it in some old fashions. Better but no cigar. Moved on to some 4RSB old fashions and now were talking baby!

. I may have a hard time making cocktails without Handy in the future. It's a whole new level of flavor.

I know what you mean Dusty. I have never been a cocktaiI drinker, but recently I've been experimenting, trying different old-fashions, Manhattan's, and bloody mary's. The most important thing I've learned is. .you have to use great booze, to get a great cocktail

I've also found that to be true Phil.

Bad whiskey is just bad whiskey and should be disposed of properly by giving to in-laws and other family members.

Made a reaaaally good Old Fashioned over the weekend.

A couple three dashes each of Peynaud's and Angosturra Bitters (Because why not.)

La Perruche rough cut sugar cube (sounds fancy, but we have this stuff in the cupboard... looks nice when you serve it after dinner with the coffee...)

Tablespoon or so of La Croix Cran-Raspberry mineral water. (I know, but it was open, on the counter, ready to go...)

Muddled that...

Then used Russell's Reserve Rye. (The last two ounces in the bottle, or I would have made these all night long, to my detriment, I'm sure.)

One big two-inch ice cube.

Orange rind.

Man, was that a great-tasting drink.

After believing I have mastered the old fashioned and manhattan (for my owns tastes anyway), I was introduced to the vieux carre and it has quickly become my new favorite cocktail. I love the flavors and it needs 7 ingredients which makes it easy and fun to customize through varying quantities and preparation methods.

Made some Manhattans tonight. First one was with Russel's Reserve Single Barrel and it was stellar. Now enjoying one made with OGD114. Might end the night with one made with Rittenhouse.

Gold Rush

2oz. Bourbon(OGD BIB for me)

2oz. Domaine de Canton

1oz. Fresh lemon juice

shake w ice and serve up in a chilled martini glass

garnish w luxardo cherry.

I am a big fan of ginger, and have wanted to try this cocktail since reading the post. However, I was hesitant to spend $32 on a bottle of Domaine de Canton.

Well this weekend I was out to dinner and spotted bottles of it behind the bar. I pulled up the post on my phone, and the bartender mixed one up for me. It was awesome! So refreshing.

I will now be picking up a bottle for vacation. Also I was thinking of swapping the lemon for lime.

Thanks for posting this recipe.

Not a bourbon cocktail but I made some tasty rum punch yesterday. I see myself repeating the recipe next weekend for the holiday.

The most important thing I've learned is. .you have to use great booze, to get a great cocktail

So true, just like any recipe really (food or drink). As they say, garbage in, garbage out.

A Sacerac Cocktail made by Gary Gillman (Vatman). I know he put many variations of the ingrediants in there but the result was one of the finest Sazerac's I've had, and I've had quite a few. Great job Gary.

Joe :usflag:

I am a big fan of ginger, and have wanted to try this cocktail since reading the post. However, I was hesitant to spend $32 on a bottle of Domaine de Canton.

Well this weekend I was out to dinner and spotted bottles of it behind the bar. I pulled up the post on my phone, and the bartender mixed one up for me. It was awesome! So refreshing.

I will now be picking up a bottle for vacation. Also I was thinking of swapping the lemon for lime.

Thanks for posting this recipe.

You are welcome. Agreed on the sticker shock for the Domaine. You did it the right way testing first. Now you can drop the coin knowing you will use a whole bottle.

Last night I came up with The Old Taylor Tribute Cocktail.

Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Strength 2oz

Madiera 1/2 oz

3 dots of root beer bitters

stir in an old fashioned glass, top with ice, stir, enjoy.

An Old Crotchety Fashioned while feeding the fish in the pond. Gorgeous night here , Down South.

Manhattan "Project" tonight.

Sazerac Rye

Noilly Pratt Vermouth

Chocolate Bitters

Splash of Demerara simple syrup

Stirred and poured into a Green Chartreuse lined glass

Garnished with a Maker's Mark Cherry and Lemon peel

So...as good as it sounds kj?

And on topic a THH Red Hook for me.

2oz Handy Rye

1oz Carpano Antica

1/2 oz Luxardo

Stirred on a big cube w Luxardo cherry garnish. Delish.

Edited by Old Dusty

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.