What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night had some HMcKBIB old fashions and the a couple of manhattans to start the 4th

Anyone doing anything cool with Bourbon and champagne? What's working for you?

Had a true Dark and Stormy today that was quite good on a sunny day.

Best regards, Tony

Anyone doing anything cool with Bourbon and champagne? What's working for you?

Boulevardier tonight watching the Redlegs and Pirates.

2oz THH

1oz Carpano Antica

1oz Campari

Luxardo cherry garnish w a dab of syrup stirred in.

Pimm's#1 Cup prepping for the World Cup. Not whiskey, of course, but seemed appropriate to drink something from the land where the modern game was born. Plus it's hot and muggy and this is certainly a weather appropriate tonic.

You nailed it on the hot & muggy, A Manhattan with HW Rend is hitting the spot.

Made my first homemade Sazeracs this weekend.

The first (with Ritt 100 Rye), I stuck to the recipe exactly and it turned out suprisingly well for my first attempt.

The second, I played with the ratios a bit (and used OGD114). Should have stuck to the recipe.

Went back to the recipe on Sunday, but used Saz 4YO Rye. Not bad, but the Rittenhouse version was better, in my opinion.

Made my first homemade Sazeracs this weekend.

The first (with Ritt 100 Rye), I stuck to the recipe exactly and it turned out suprisingly well for my first attempt.

The second, I played with the ratios a bit (and used OGD114). Should have stuck to the recipe.

Went back to the recipe on Sunday, but used Saz 4YO Rye. Not bad, but the Rittenhouse version was better, in my opinion.

Since it is NAS the Baby Saz could presumably be any age over 4yo but has traditionally been described as at least 6yo by BT, much like its barrel proof sibling, Handy rye. Just how much confidence one can put in that these days is anybody's guess!

The Ritt BIB is more likely closer to 4yo although it is also NAS other than being BIB of course. I think the DSP 1 Ritt works better in a Sazerac cocktail than the older more bourbon-y DSP 354 version. But that is purely subject as I have not tried it blind.

Since it is NAS the Baby Saz could presumably be any age over 4yo but has traditionally been described as at least 6yo by BT, much like its barrel proof sibling, Handy rye. Just how much confidence one can put in that these days is anybody's guess!

The Ritt BIB is more likely closer to 4yo although it is also NAS other than being BIB of course. I think the DSP 1 Ritt works better in a Sazerac cocktail than the older more bourbon-y DSP 354 version. But that is purely subject as I have not tried it blind.

Yes, i should have just said Baby Saz. I actually had my recent Willett 4YO in my head when i posted that (although it may not necessarily be exactly 4 YO either).

Grabbed a bottle of Campari at a sale, so whipped up a Boulevardier' (or two) over the weekend.

I had an old fashioned Old Fashion for my birthday. 1 tsp brown sugar dissolved in 1 tsp water, then several shakes of Angostura, then a healthy pour (maybe 2 1/2 oz) of Sazerac Rye. Filled the Old Fashioned glass with ice cubes, and off to the races!

tim

I've been making lots of various Negronis. Settled on classic 1/1/1 ratio, with Royal Dock Gin by Haymans, Dolin Sweet Vermouth, and Cappelletti(Which I happen to prefer over Campari.).

THH "perfect" Manhattan. 2oz Handy/.5 oz sweet vermouth/.5 oz dry vermouth/orange bitters/barrel aged bitters/Luxardo cherry garnish.

That sounds pretty amazing. I need to try the "perfect" variations more

Whiskey Sour for a pre-dinner cocktail. 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz simple syrup, .75oz fresh lemon juice, and an egg white.

bJ4OaRC.jpg?1

For those that don't mind going off the reservation a bit I made this cocktail that I really enjoy for a dinner party l attended last night. For those who like an Islay whisky the mezcal component might work for you. But beware, it is entirely whiskey free! And some of these ingredients might not be in your typical home bar.

The Man Comes Around

Named after the Johnny Cash song as described in the notes by the creator.

Maybe a new theme for the next sampler could be "whiskey free cocktails for the whiskey drinker".

My gardens mint is bursting at the seams, and the appliance doctor came by today to repair the crushed ice function on my fridge. So dug out my EWSB stainless cup, and mixed up a mint julep using FRSB for the whiskey. Yummy.

My gardens mint is bursting at the seams, and the appliance doctor came by today to repair the crushed ice function on my fridge. So dug out my EWSB stainless cup, and mixed up a mint julep using FRSB for the whiskey. Yummy.

Had a bourbon orange at a local place tonight. They have a bourbon that they infuse with oranges and mix with Grand Mainer, very tasty.

Best regards, Tony

Had a bourbon orange at a local place tonight. They have a bourbon that they infuse with oranges and mix with Grand Mainer, very tasty.

Best regards, Tony

Tony, sounds delish, and sounds like you may be able to get that in a bottle this fall w the Willett XCF being released.

I had a Negroni last evening, while grilling. 1:1:1 with Tanqueray, Formula Antica, and Campari. Wonderful!

Tim

That sounds pretty amazing. I need to try the "perfect" variations more

Dave, it's a nice changup.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.