What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, rye suggests the 1794 although I find the mole bitters to be significant in that drink. I have also tried a variation that leaves out both Campari and vermouth all together and replaces it with Cynar, Bonal and a dash of orange bitters (1.5 rye or bourbon, .75 each Cynar and Bonal).

Although at that point I suppose you have a third cousin twice removed from the Boulevardier family!

Bruce, what was "The Left Hand" that you made at Sampler? Related to the Boulevardier too yes? It was really tasty.

Bruce, what was "The Left Hand" that you made at Sampler? Related to the Boulevardier too yes? It was really tasty.

Yes, The Left Hand cocktail is basically just a Boulevardier with the addition of Xocolatl mole bitters

The Left Hand

1½ to 2 oz. bourbon (EC12 is nice here)

¾ oz. Sweet vermouth (Carpano, Cocchi de Torino or for an even more bitter edge try Punt e Mes)

¾ oz. Campari

2 dashes Bitter Truth Xocolatl Mole bitters (or other chocolate bitters)

Thanks, lack the chocolate bitters. Will remedy that this weekend. Which vermouth were you pouring in Bardstown?

Boulevardier talk got me cravin!

Enjoying one tonight with EC12, dolin and cynar, i also dont really care for campari, i feel its best suited to tall drinks on ice

Thanks, lack the chocolate bitters. Will remedy that this weekend. Which vermouth were you pouring in Bardstown?

Most likely Carpano Antica as it is my usual go to but don't remember for certain. The Cocchi de Torino would likely be a nice variation though and is probably a bit cheaper if you can find it.

Boulevardier talk got me cravin!

Enjoying one tonight with EC12, dolin and cynar, i also dont really care for campari, i feel its best suited to tall drinks on ice

Yes, I find Cynar to be a nice substitute although it does make it a bit of a different drink.

An Old Crotchety Fashioned to start the weekend. 4RSB for the whiskey element. Tempted to throw a maraschino in there, but will only follow through with the consent of its creator...:D

post-9650-14489821294029_thumb.jpg

Beating the heat and humidity with a Kentucky Mule. This version: OGD 114/Diet Vernor's/healthy squeeze of lime juice. Please note the use of the Ball jar as my choice of glassware. Another of Indiana's fine societal contributions:grin:

Edited by Old Dusty

Wonderful Sunday. Started my morning off with VOB in me coffee and then in my Bloody Mary. Switched up to some KCSB over a cube and ended the night with a few Redemption Manhattans.

Slept like a baby too.

With the triple digit Texas heat in full force, I find myself looking more and more for refreshing Bourbon cocktails.

Last night, I tried my hand at making a Brown Derby for the first time.

I took the lazy way out and bought a bottle of Simply Grapefruit, as opposed to squeezing my own.

Used 2 oz of Henry McKenna 10YO (as opposed to the recipe specified 1.5 oz), an ounce of the Grapefruit juice, and half ounce of Honey syrup (50/50 honey & water).

Ended up having two, as they went down easy. Grapefruit juice is good for you, right?

Not sure if it is a named drink or not but, something I have been enjoying.

3 parts Hendricks .75 parts St Germain slightly muddled Cuke and mint leaves throw in a shaker with a couple ice cubes.

I have enjoyed these Martini form as well as on rocks topped off with club soda. They are clean, refreshing and delicious both ways. :yum::yum::yum:

Popped my 19 dollar bottle of Pierre Ferrand Amber. Started with a Champs-Élysées and now I'm having a Sazerac. It's a different drink with the cognac instead of the rye. I think I like it.

Grapefruit juice was always my favorite but a couple years ago a warning label on one of my medications said "Do not drink grapefruit juice while taking this" and it's a daily dose and I miss it.

Grapefruit juice talk got me thinking, and today was a warmish winters day so I made a couple Hemmingway Daiquiri's, this variant I concocted was my favourite:

2.5oz Rhum JM

Fresh Lime Juice - 1 lime

Fresh Grapefruit Juice - 1/2 smallish grapefruit

Melted/caramelised a small piece (1/2oz) of yellow rock sugar into the shaker with my chefs torch - tongs essential

Shaken hard with shaved ice and served in a big rocks glass with a float of 75% Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur and 25% Illegal Respasado Mescal, 1/2 lime garnish

Edited by onemorepour

A sour made of

1oz llegal mezcal

1oz delord blanche

1/2 oz aperol

1/2 limes juice

1/2 lemons juice

1/2 oz agave syrup

Dry shaken with egg white, then crushed ice, few drops agnostura on top, candied orange peel garnish

I made a very strange cocktail last night, and it was surprisingly good. I had watched The Big Lebowski twice in recent days, and had a hankering for a White Russian. But I do not have Kahlua. So, I made the same thing with triple sec. I can't think of a cute name for it, it just is what it is.

1 oz Tito's vodka

1 oz triple sec (I think it is de Kuyper's)

1 oz half and half

"The Dude abides."

Tim

Edited by ratcheer

Thanks the tanstaafl2/Bruce for the Left Hand recipe. Enjoying one now with HH 6 yr white label BIB, Dolin Rouge, Campari, Fee Bros Aztec Chocolate bitters and a Maraschino cherry garnish.

Now an Old Fashioned in the style of the Century Bar in Dayton,OH. Demerara sugar cube soaked in bitters and a 1/2 wheel of orange muddled. Add 2oz OGD 114 and Luxardo cherries w some syrup and stir w ice.

Now an Old Fashioned in the style of the Century Bar in Dayton,OH. Demerara sugar cube soaked in bitters and a 1/2 wheel of orange muddled. Add 2oz OGD 114 and Luxardo cherries w some syrup and stir w ice.

Enjoying an Old Fashioned here, myself. Similarly prepared as yours E (Muddled Sugar in Raw/Angostura bitters/wheel of orange), but with Old Ezra 7/101 for the whiskey. My highlight is that I finally get to make this one with real Luxardo cherries...instead of...uh...Publix brand...Thank You to Bruce (SB's own Cocktail Guru) for helping to keep me from continuing to embarrass myself in this thread. :D

My highlight is that I finally get to make this one with real Luxardo cherries.

funny,Joe but until I tasted the real McCoy I thought it was kind of snobby. Cherries are cherries right? Well no the Luxardos are well worth the splurge.

Man luxardo cherries are so good they should be illegal, I feel like homer simpson every time I make a cocktail, one for you (glass) one for me (mouth).

Smashed a shit ton of cocktails last night, had a mate come round and we grilled up a storm and messed around trying to invent new drinks.

one of my favourites was what ended up being called a Thai Daquiri.

Chiffonade a kaffir lime leaf and scrape a vanilla pod, place into a small saucepan with half a can of coconut cream with a good lump of palm sugar and a small sprinkling of dried chilli - simmer lightly for a couple minutes (apart from infusing i find simmering the cream removes the canned taste)

In a blender put 11/2 bannanas, 3oz of white rum and 2oz of dark rum, I used Rhum JM and Appleton 12, chuck in a bunch of ice (not too much, you want creamy, not icy) and add the coconut cream infusion (kaffir and chilli aswell)

Blend untill creamy and frothy. Serve in a coupe. I garnished with a banana chip sprinkled with grated dark chocolate and blow torched. I sprinkled a touch more chocolate on top of the drink.

Serves 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.