What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A tanstaafl2 Left Hand followed by a Fourth Regiment:

1 ounce rye (I used High West Rendezvous)

1 ounce sweet vermouth (I used Carpano Antica)

1 dash orange bitters

1 dash Angostura bitters

1 dash celery bitters (I used Fee Bros. version)

Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice. Stir well. Strain into a coupe or lowball. Serve up and garnish with lemon peel.

Note:that's the base recipe, I bumped the rye up to 1.5 oz.

On a bit of a rum/rhum kick this weekend so it looks like variations on the Daiquiri this weekend! Started last night with a classic 10:3:2 ratio using Havana Club Añejo Blanco (somehow seemed appropriate for "Labor" Day), lime and a nice rich (2:1) demarara sugar simple syrup.

Think I may switch to a youngish rhum agricole today to better balance the sweetness of the rich simple syrup.

May have to work a Floridita daiquiri in at some point if I can find some white grapefruit juice.

Uh, oh! This is what I get for going exploring. May have to take a small detour from the daiquiri. Really need that white grapefruit now even if I have to use bottled juice {shudder}.

Snoop Lion

Ingredients

1 1⁄2 oz Smith & Cross rum

1⁄4 oz Batavia Arrack

1⁄2 oz White Grapefruit juice

1⁄4 oz Lime juice

1⁄2 oz B.G. Reynolds Passion fruit syrup

1⁄4 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, Luxardo

Shake, pour un-unstrained into a double rocks glass.

Later this morning, I plan to make an IBA standard Bloody Mary. Salt, pepper, lemon juice, Worstershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, tomato juice, and vodka. Back to the basics.

Tim

Later this morning, I plan to make an IBA standard Bloody Mary. Salt, pepper, lemon juice, Worstershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, tomato juice, and vodka. Back to the basics.

Tim

Horseradish?

Just sayin'

Filled a long standing gap in the classics tonight and made my first ever Rob Roy. Great King Street scotch and Dolin vermouth. Pretty tasty!

Filled a long standing gap in the classics tonight and made my first ever Rob Roy. Great King Street scotch and Dolin vermouth. Pretty tasty!

Man I love a good Rob Roy, such a change of pace for the taste buds after drinking a lot of manhattans and other bourbon based cocktails. Ive taken to using Black Bull 12 yr, nice 100 proof blend.

Old Fashioned using Bittermilk No. 1 Bourbon Barrel Aged Old Fashioned mix with Mellow Corn and again with JTS Brown. The latter worked better, mostly because it's less sweet.

Tonight we're having Rittenhouse Manhattans with Fee Bros. Aztec Chocolate bitters. Very nice.

Andrew, round up some Campari, if you don't have any, and use those same ingredients in a "Left Hand". One of my favs and the chocolate bitters make the drink.

Had my yearly cord of firewood delivered today, and Littlesmokinjoe and I spent a couple of hours wheelbarreling and stacking it in the back yard. She went with some sort of Capri Sun afterwards, and I'm settling in with an Old Crotchety Fashioned.

I done better, but I ain't tellin' her...:D

Had a Paloma tonight before dinner. These are quickly becoming our summer staple, although summer isn't here much longer. Oh well, guess I'll need to move to whiskey. :)

These are quickly becoming our summer staple, although summer isn't here much longer.

Always a bit scary to hear in these parts where cold weather and especially snow is an anathema. Summer seems to have just really gotten started around here. 90 with humidity to match and thunderstorms most every afternoon/evening!

Bought myself a new but antique style cut crystal perfume atomizer (the classic round type with the squeeze balloon off to the side) and man has it made making sazeracs a lot more easy and fun, just a few squirts of absinthe and Im good to go.

So drinking a sazerac tonight, bulleit 10 year.

Got tired of Ardbeg Auriverdes, decided to make Mamie Taylors out of the last few ounces. Absolutely delicious! Peat really adds a huge dimension to this cocktail.

Now an Old Fashioned in the style of the Century Bar in Dayton,OH. Demerara sugar cube soaked in bitters and a 1/2 wheel of orange muddled. Add 2oz OGD 114 and Luxardo cherries w some syrup and stir w ice.

Had one at the Century last night. Hard to beat!

Had one at the Century last night. Hard to beat!

Great place. I was sitting at the bar enjoying a neat pour of 2010 Birthday Bourbon and watching glass after glass of their old Fashioneds getting mixed and sent past me. Finally broke down and ordered one. Best bar version I have had. And my first real Luxardo cherries. They used OGD BIB for the well. I just bumped mine to the 114.

Picked up a bottle of "Art in the Age Snap" on Friday. (I'd been curious about it for a while).

mixed 1.5 oz of it with 1.5 oz of OGD114, and a splash of Monin spiced brown sugar syrup, then added a flamed orange peel.

I'm calling it the "Ginger Spice".

Picked up a bottle of "Art in the Age Snap" on Friday. (I'd been curious about it for a while).

mixed 1.5 oz of it with 1.5 oz of OGD114, and a splash of Monin spiced brown sugar syrup, then added a flamed orange peel.

I'm calling it the "Ginger Spice".

That sounds a bit too sweet for my tastes but I'll give it a shot when I am reunited with my bar in October. I've been having trouble finding uses for that Snap.

Old recipe Centinela reposado, Bols, Dolin blanc, carmine Campari, and Batavia Arrack have been leading the cocktails recently. This weekend inaugurated the Arrack's opening with an Arrack Sour. The pairing of Arrack with Maraschino really does it for me.

That sounds a bit too sweet for my tastes but I'll give it a shot when I am reunited with my bar in October. I've been having trouble finding uses for that Snap.

If you like Arrack and Maraschino might I suggest the Airbag. An overly complicated but tasty concoction. I usually don't bother with the flamed Laphroaig cherry and just toss one in at the end. Can spritz it with a nice peaty scotch or if you have time soak a few.

The Snoop Lion (or Fo'Swizzle) might be a bit sweet for your tastes but seemed to be a popular drink at my last gathering for Labor Day. Dry white grapefruit juice is a must. But it is more of a warm weather libation.

One I have been meaning to try (if only for the name alone!) but haven't yet is the Hemingway Stripper Pole!

Trying to will on some summer vibes so grilling up a couple massive tomahawk stakes (4-5 lbs each) and mixing up some mai tais:

2oz havana club anejo

1/2 oz orgeat syryup

1/2 oz fresh lime

little dash of fees west indian bitters

1 oz Appleton 12 float

served on rocks with all the awesomely lame swizzle sticks, umbreallas and pineapple chunk and cherry garnishes,

Trying to will on some summer vibes so grilling up a couple massive tomahawk stakes (4-5 lbs each) and mixing up some mai tais:

2oz havana club anejo

1/2 oz orgeat syryup

1/2 oz fresh lime

little dash of fees west indian bitters

1 oz Appleton 12 float

served on rocks with all the awesomely lame swizzle sticks, umbreallas and pineapple chunk and cherry garnishes,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.