Jack Daniel's Rested Rye

DrinkSpirits
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

post-5831-1448982069404_thumb.jpg

Didn't even know this one was coming:

Jack Daniel's Rested Rye (Whiskey) - aged 2 years (2 full seasons) in light char oak barrels. It's the same liquid that was released in the JD Unaged Rye but now 2 years old. Now at 2 years it qualifies as a "Straight Whiskey" so there won't be a big debate about what to call it (Although JD is referring to it as "Rested Tennessee Rye".

Released at 80 Proof in Limited Quantities starting in April. $50 a bottle.

It's very much a work in progress release and priced very high (is the final JD Rye going to be this expensive?!?!).

Here's the complete Jack Daniel's Rested Rye Review, but the short version is, it's not worth buying.

That's a very pretty bottle.

Now where did I put my ugly bottle of 90 Proof George Dickel Rye? Oh...over there in the brown bag with a receipt for $21.99. :grin:

It will be interesting to see how the final product turns out. I know Dickel doesn't use the Lincoln County process for its rye, but does JD?

I could care less about buying into the JD fandom but having bought a bottle of the unaged rye out of curiosity I will likely buy one of these to compare and contrast despite the pretty ridiculous price. It is interesting that two years of aging apparently has no value as it is the same excessive price tag the completely unaged rye carried.

Buying this can't be too much dumber than other things I have bought! Woodford Master's Collection bottles come to mind...

Didn't they have a $50 price on the white version of this when it first came out?

You know that an aged version will be an extra $50 for each 2 yrs, so 4 yr will be $100, 6 yr $150, etc

They are really in love with 80 proof but then again they aren't targeting us.

That's a very pretty bottle.

Now where did I put my ugly bottle of 90 Proof George Dickel Rye? Oh...over there in the brown bag with a receipt for $21.99. :grin:

:toast:

It will be interesting to see how the final product turns out. I know Dickel doesn't use the Lincoln County process for its rye, but does JD?

Dickel does filter there rye through maple charcoal but rather than doing it before it is barreled like the whiskey they do it after they buy it from MGP and before they bottle it. For that matter the first time the GD Rye sees Tennessee is when the bottles hit the store shelves! then again it doesn't say "Tennessee Rye" on the label as I recall.

My recollection is that JD rye is treated essentially the same way the standard JD whiskey is wih the usual charcoal maple filtering before barreling but I am not sure. The light sweetness of the unaged rye would seem to suggest it is and on a quick search this blog notes it is as well.

Hidden

Pretty sure JD treats the rye with the Lincoln County process just like the regular whiskey. The Dickel rye does get maple charcoal filtered but only right before bottling after it is aged at MGPI and thenDiageo buys it. It doesn't see Tennessee until it hits the store shelves. Then again they make no claim the Dickel Rye is "Tennessee" rye.

A must have for the man who has everything.

Best part seems to be the bottle, with the rounded edges on the shoulder. One of the things I dislike about current JD (other iterations) is the overly square bottle with the sharp edges, it's ugly and I would buy more JD if it came in a bottle like this new one.

Gary

Heck, I'll buy it too. The white dog rye was tasty, and I'm always interested in new ryes (or any whiskey, for that matter.) from distilleries who actually have a track record of knowing how to make good whiskey.

Hidden

Dickel still uses the LC process with the rye that they source from LDI/MGP.

Says so right on the bottle.

My store had it on sale today for $40. Got to try it and it was good but I wouldn't spend $40 on it, personally. The nose was beautiful, sweet corn and a lil bit of spice. But everything else was a let down.

Let's see, they were able to sell the unaged version for $49 and the rested one for $40. Following this trend the fully aged version should be about $24.95, so I can wait.

Made it to Chi. On the shelf at Binny's-$49.99.

Arrived in Atlanta this week. But the one I saw is $55 and I am having a tough time at that price. Will need to shop around a bit and hope to pick one up to pair with the JD white rye at the Gazebo.

post-8493-14489820766277_thumb.jpg

Definitely not as dark as the picture makes it appear!

Ah you know you're going to buy it. Will likely spend the addl $5 in gas looking for a "bargain" anyhow. Just get it already!

I appreciate that they are positioning it as a work in progress, available to taste if you want to. That's about as honest as a major producer is going to get.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.