Rye Bottled in Bond?

Blackkeno
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've never noticed a BIB Rye. Is BIB a bourbon by definition? Is there any BIB Rye out there? Has there ever been?

Thanks for the info. Has anyone seen or tried BIB Rye, Tennessee, or Corn Whiskey?

OK, I'm just kidding about the BIB Corn Whiskey. lol.gif

Bottled in Bond rye was quite popular in the past. I have had some bonded Old Overholt rye from the 60's that was quite good. I have also seen labels for Jack Daniel's bonded sold during prohibition but that is a story in itself.

Schenley bought the last of the Jack Daniel's whiskey during prohibition and put it on the market. Lem Motlow sent them a letter saying he owned the trademark and they could not use his label. Schenley's lawyers did some research and found that Lem only had the trademark on "Old No. 7" and not the Jack Daniel's name, so they sold it as "Jack Daniel's Old No. 5" and told Motlow to go to hell. Now you know one of the main reasons Brown-Forman was able to buy the distillery and brand even though they offered less money than Schenley when the Motlow's sold the company in the 50's.

Mike Veach

Yes, Rittenhouse Rye is BIB. It is a rye very similar to Wild Turkey Rye. It is bottled by Continental Distilling Company of Bardstown, Kentucky. BIB has a very specific definition. I forget all of the details but I am sure it must be bottled at 100 proof and I think it has to be four years old.

Regards, jimbo

<font color="blue">I've never noticed a BIB Rye. Is BIB a bourbon by definition? Is there any BIB Rye out there? Has there ever been? </font>

My bottle of Old SunnyBrook is BIB Rye. It also was distilled Pre-prohibition and distributed by American Medicinal Spirits Company.

<font color="blue"> Good God Give Billy Cobham Some </font>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.