Best Ginger Ale for mixing with bourbon

jonhalter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pretty simple question I think. I dont really like Canada Dry or Seagrams. They dont taste very gingery. Ive heard good things about ale 8-1 but dont really want to pay the prices to have it shipped. Any of the national brands worth buying?

Ginger beer of any kind is usually much better. I like Reed's, which I think is pretty widely distributed. Has actual ginger in it and sugar instead of HFC. A fine base for a Presbyterian.

Hey will I be able to pick some of this while in Bardstown in a couple if weeks? I've heard about this before from you and others. Would really like to try it. Where can I find some again?

Yeah I'm familiar with Ale 8-1. Love it. Can actually find in southern IN. Sean and I have talked about the red cap before and I just forgot where he said I could pick up some. Trader Joe's maybe?

In addition to Schwepps, Canada Dry, and Seagrams, I can get Vernors, Hansens, and Sprechers at places in or near WashDC (although Sprechers requires a trek to Virginia to a custard place run by a Wisconsin transplant, and I can't go in without buying a quart of chocolate and eating it before leaving).

Hansens is available at Whole Foods - we asked and they started carrying it. Hansens also makes fruit sodas that mix well with spirits.

Blenheim's it is not even sold in Kentucky.

It's sold in Lexington, when you can find it. Fresh Market usually has it. Remind me and I'll bring some down.

I like Vernors, but that may be because I was born and raised (and still live) in Michigan.

Well, that explains a lot. Just look at your signature...wait, look at mine...never mind. ;)

Vernors is good stuff too.

Blenheims Red Cap and it ain't close.
100% agree but fire that bourbon out the door sub a straight rye and enjoy!

Both these guys are 100% correct. :)

I second the Blenheim endorsement… red or gold cap, but it's hard to find. My second choice is Fever Tree.

I second the Blenheim endorsement… red or gold cap, but it's hard to find. My second choice is Fever Tree.

Same for me. Blenheim is nice (the red cap is quite fiery to me so unless I need my sinuses cleaned I tend to go with the gold cap) but Fever Tree is generally easier to acquire (carried by most decent sized liquor stores) and tends to be my go to brand most of the time.

Found this thread to really perk my interest because I've never tried anything like this. Since living in the hinterlands of jawga we don't always have everything available to us I thought I'd do a Google search and maybe locate something close by.

Well after reading all of the reviews the only one that was not mentioned one time was Bienheim. Nohow, nowhere.

Since the majority of y'all reccomended it I am sure there some sort of conspiracy to keep it away from the masses and now I'm going to be satisfied until I've tried it.

There is a Fresh Market just north of me that I'll check out Saturday. MrsTT has been bigging me to go there anyway for some freash pastry and jellybellies anyway.

I figured it would be a much safer question than "can I have a list of best bourbons?" Im now on the hunt for bienheim as well. I may also try a few ginger beers.

I love Vernors (biased Michigander), but I also really love Firey Ginger Beer (which is from the UK, but is sold in Publix and some other stores). Has some great ginger zip to it!

I'll second Vernors. My favorite is Stewart's but I don't think they make it anymore. That stuff was liquid fire.

As noted above, Vernor's is the best ginger ale. It is not made to be mixed with bourbon. You can put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it, but you should not put any bourbon in it. None ever, it will ruin both the Vernor's and the bourbon.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.