Best Ginger Ale for mixing with bourbon

jonhalter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I never liked the bastardized Vernor's as a child (strong wood flavors IIRC) and I still don't like it as an adult. I've found Ale-8 to be too sweet (and I think it has caffeine). There's a brand around here called Cotton Club "less sweet" ginger ale that I prefer.

Hoping to gets my hands on some Blenheim, tho not to mix with bourbon or rye. I like the taste of ginger ale it over ice.

Vernor's and Ale-8 are both in my fridge right now. I am a lucky dog in that I can get both in my part of KY. Back in the day my Grandmother and Grandfather would take my Mom and her three bros. back to Detroit to visit grandma's family. They would load up the car with Vernor's so they could enjoy back home in KY. Back on subject, I enjoy both with Bourbon depending on the style of spirit in question. It's a trial and error sort of thing. However Vernors and Starlight Applejack from Ted Huber is amazing. Vernor's spice and the apple from the spirits with a hint of vanilla in the background. The youthful burn that tried to hide the apple flavor of the Applejack is tamed by the ginger ale and makes for a great mixer.

Edited by jonnyd

I figured it would be a much safer question than "can I have a list of best bourbons?"

Ahh yes... the irony is quite palatable.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Given the apparent extensive interest in ginger ale/beer I will see if I can track down some Blenheim, both red and gold cap, to bring north next week for the cookout if there is interest.

Ahh yes... the irony is quite palatable.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Is it as tasty as Blenheim?

I think irony is best consumed when in the form of a steaky.

Put me in with the group of Vernor's fans. Even like the diet but do not think it is really helping.

Best regards, Tony

However Vernors and Starlight Applejack from Ted Huber is amazing. Vernor's spice and the apple from the spirits with a hint of vanilla in the background. The youthful burn that tried to hide the apple flavor of the Applejack is tamed by the ginger ale and makes for a great mixer.
This sounds fantastic. Will have to give it a try.

So I dropped Kroger at lunch today and they have a beer aisle half a football field long (supposedly largest wine dept in any of their operations too) and there isn't any ginger ale period. The manager says alcoholic ginger ale and I say yes please. She goes to the computer, searches and they don't carry any company wide.

There is a Publix about 15 miles north and I believe someone said earlier that they carry a couple. Road trip!

Given the apparent extensive interest in ginger ale/beer I will see if I can track down some Blenheim, both red and gold cap, to bring north next week for the cookout if there is interest.

Go to their website. It's sold locally. I'm bringing some as well. Bought mine at savy but its closed for renovations

Go to their website. It's sold locally. I'm bringing some as well. Bought mine at savy but its closed for renovations

Place near me usually has it but of course they are out. Supposed to get more next week. We shall see.

Website showed 5 Ga locations and only 1 in Tn, there was a page of locations in S.C.

I bought a few six packs of Blenheim today that I'll bring to the sampler. Come and find me if you want to try a bottle or two, three.

I bought a few six packs of Blenheim today that I'll bring to the sampler. Come and find me if you want to try a bottle or two, three.

Sweet. I will definitely hit you up. Thanks Sean. :-)

Wont be at the sampler, but found some at the closest fresh market. Also found some Idris Fiery ginger beer at publix. Its pretty gingery. Ill try the Blenheim today to see which I like more.

WOW. The Blenheim red (pink) cap is no joke. Gingery, spicy as in ive just had red pepper flakes on my tongue and lips. Ive never had anything like it. In my mind, its the hands down winner. Is the diet (white cap) as good?

Never had the diet, so can't say.

Between this and Gary counting the calories on his bourbon balls it got me wondering? Is there a Weight Watchers meeting this sampler? Are we going to have to weigh in before or after the cookout? Are we getting SB.com insurance coverage or active lifestyle benefits?

Never had the diet, so can't say.

Between this and Gary counting the calories on his bourbon balls it got me wondering? Is there a Weight Watchers meeting this sampler? Are we going to have to weigh in before or after the cookout? Are we getting SB.com insurance coverage or active lifestyle benefits?

:lol: Good one!

Troyce tells me that he will be leading 8AM Aquasize classes in the pool, for anyone who would like to attend...

I've had a couple Barritt's with rye this afternoon and while I have nothing to compare it too it's quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the Whole Foods 365 brand to be pretty good, probably going to call this my favorite ginger ale to mix with bourbon. No HFCS, reasonably priced, mixes very well, and widely distributed. Tried Reed's, tasty on its own, but pricey compared to other sodas and of the 5-6 bourbons open at the time, I only liked it mixed with 1792 RR. Still haven't tried but on the lookout for Fever Tree and Blenheim.

Edited by miller542

• 3 weeks later...

Finally latched on to some Blenheim. The green cap is good but man do I like the red!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.