Best Ginger Ale for mixing with bourbon

jonhalter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally latched on to some Blenheim. The green cap is good but man do I like the red!

I finally got some red cap thanks to Sean at the gazebo. I have to agree that red cap is just a perfect mixer. So good.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Came back to this thread.  Went to cracker barrel for breakfast, and while waiting to pay I see a bottle of Ale 8 1.  Bought 4 and poured one with some ritt.  Tasty but Blenheim is way better.  I can tell its summer.  Had that drink at 11:15 am and didnt feel bad about it at all.

On April 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM, jonhalter said:

Pretty simple question I think. I dont really like Canada Dry or Seagrams. They dont taste very gingery. Ive heard good things about ale 8-1 but dont really want to pay the prices to have it shipped. Any of the national brands worth buying?

Hands down Goslings Ginger Beer is the best to mix with Bourbon. 

Not overly sweet and has s good dose of ginger to it. My favorite!!!

It's not Ginger Ale, but Pepsi's new 1893 Ginger Cola is a pretty tasty mixer, for when you are in the mood for that sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not much for mixed drinks, but I do enjoy Bundaberg and Gosling's ginger beer.  I think both are made with natural ingredients.  Nice on a hot afternoon.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:52 PM, Darwin said:

I'm not much for mixed drinks, but I do enjoy Bundaberg and Gosling's ginger beer.  I think both are made with natural ingredients.  Nice on a hot afternoon.

Every Gosling's ginger beer I have ever seen has high fructose corn syrup. I suppose that still qualifies as "natural" but most people would be looking for cane sugar as the sweetener. I tend to use Fever Tree ginger beer for more drinks requiring ginger beer although I am not fully convinced it makes a difference. But some people claim they can differentiate between soda with fructose from corn syrup and cane sugar (as is the case with the "Mexican" Coca Cola you can buy these days).

• 2 months later...

Vernor's is good, but for value the Whole Foods brand is a really good mixer. I also like Trader Joe's store brand ginger beer. All that being said, I'm on a Pepsi 1863 kick right now. Both the standard Cola and the Ginger Cola mix so well with either Wild Turkey 101 (that WT "Funk" really punches through) or Rittenhouse BIB. Those have been my go to grilling out highballs this summer.

On 7/14/2016 at 0:23 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Every Gosling's ginger beer I have ever seen has high fructose corn syrup. I suppose that still qualifies as "natural" but most people would be looking for cane sugar as the sweetener. I tend to use Fever Tree ginger beer for more drinks requiring ginger beer although I am not fully convinced it makes a difference. But some people claim they can differentiate between soda with fructose from corn syrup and cane sugar (as is the case with the "Mexican" Coca Cola you can buy these days).

I concur.

We've tried Reed's GB, Crabbie's GB, Goya GB - alcoholic and nonalcoholic, etc. in Dark 'n Stormys.  Frankly, we think the quality of the rum controls the drink, not the brand or alcohol of the ginger beer.  For ginger ale - regular and no-cal - we prefer Vernor's.

BUT, by the second drink, . . .

8 hours ago, BDanner said:

All that being said, I'm on a Pepsi 1863 kick right now. Both the standard Cola and the Ginger Cola mix so well with either Wild Turkey 101 (that WT "Funk" really punches through) or Rittenhouse BIB.

While a bit pricy, the Pepsi 1893 line is really good and makes a killer mixer. 

Since posting in in this thread in April 2014, I've since had a Fever Tree and was not impressed. I still like Whole Foods 365 ginger ale but now I prefer Blue Sky Jamaican ginger ale. 

Edited by miller542

• 2 years later...

I'm not trying to resurrect an old thread here as I'm way late to the party on this, but I just recently got into mixing bourbon and rye with ginger ale.  As others stated years ago the Blenheim red cap (spicy) is just ridiculous with bourbon or rye.  As a matter of fact I'm gonna have me one tonight.  Next time I drive through Blenheim, SC I'm gonna load the back of the vehicle up with a bunch of that stuff.

A drop or several of bitters into a high ball can take it to the next level.

Also, as far as technique, fill a tumbler full of ice, add the spirit, bitters, then soda to fill it up.

• I like it 2

ALE 81 has broadened their distribution quite a bit. Harris Teeter in NC & SC carry it as well as Cracker Barrel nationwide. I think it mixes very well with brown spirits.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned Reed's makes fantastic ginger ale.

Another one I like is Trader Joe's Ginger Brew, it comes in a resealable 750ml glass bottle (rather handy if you just need a few oz for a mixed drink), and is very, very gingery. I think it's only a few dollars for a bottle too.

Also, sort of related, ginger simple syrup is awesome. We typically use this in tiki drinks but I bet it would make a neat twist on a lot of whiskey-base drinks that call for simple syrup (ginger-simple mint julip anyone?). You can make your own without too much effort (chop up and boil some fresh ginger, then add sugar, and strain to remove the ginger), but this stuff is pretty easy to find too: https://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Syrup-Fijian-Org/dp/B01MSBBJTT

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

As others have mentioned Reed's makes fantastic ginger ale.

Another one I like is Trader Joe's Ginger Brew, it comes in a resealable 750ml glass bottle (rather handy if you just need a few oz for a mixed drink), and is very, very gingery. I think it's only a few dollars for a bottle too.

Also, sort of related, ginger simple syrup is awesome. We typically use this in tiki drinks but I bet it would make a neat twist on a lot of whiskey-base drinks that call for simple syrup (ginger-simple mint julip anyone?). You can make your own without too much effort (chop up and boil some fresh ginger, then add sugar, and strain to remove the ginger), but this stuff is pretty easy to find too: https://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Syrup-Fijian-Org/dp/B01MSBBJTT

I will second you on the Trader Joe's, and also say that it is so gingery that I have used it as the base to make a "simpler" Ginger simple syrup. Simply sub the ginger brew for the water in your simple syrup recipe and reduce the sugar just a tad.

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...
As noted above, Vernor's is the best ginger ale. It is not made to be mixed with bourbon. You can put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it, but you should not put any bourbon in it. None ever, it will ruin both the Vernor's and the bourbon.
I can attest, I don't find Vernors a good mixer. Love OGD highball, but not w Vernors.

Fever Tree is tasty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.