Willet family Rye 4yrs

Robbie BTAC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all just looking for any reviews on this rye not heard much about this rye, how does it compare to say THH ? Or a sazerac 18yrs as the bottle is similar price wise. Thanks

Might want to try doing a site search Robbie. Pretty sure it has been discussed at length a couple of times.

Did a search but unable to find anything on the 4yrs, and how it compares to the other high end ryes

I wouldn't compare it to high end ryes as it is not a high end rye. I have enjoyed the couple I have had and the ~$30 I paid were fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is discussion of the 4 year in these threads a quick search shows. Many other mentions in non specific threads too. Chewing gum mint and pickle juice are all you really need to know-not a fan ;).

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15480-Willett-Straight-Rye-Whiskey

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?17242-Willett-Straight-Rye-Now-a-5-year-version!

I like to have a bottle around for cocktails, the higher proof makes a nice Sazerac and Manhattan in my opinion. I'll sip it occasionally, but it's not Handy or Saz18, nor do I think it was meant to be.

This is a single barrel offering, so there is some variance. Having said that, the 4 barrels that I've tried at 3,4, and 5 years have all been excellent. I much prefer it over RittBIB or even WT101 (which is excellent but practically unavailable). It's a spicy rye with lots of fruit… a bit of menthol on some. I've never had the pickle juice variety, but I've read about it here. At $30, I consider it a great buy and worth the risk. It runs about $38 here and easily my favorite sub-$70 rye along with High West Rendezvous when I want an aged flavor.

Edited by bearmark

I think it was 'meant' to be positioned as something higher than it is. If the 110 is actually barrel proof though that is interesting.

Edited by squire

It's basically a barrel proof Bulleit Rye. It's a high-rye MGPI rye, so comparing it to Knob Creek Rye or Handy is kinda apples and oranges. I like pickle juice and mint, so I usually enjoy it.

Edited by Josh

I do enjoy it as one of the few barrel strength ryes available for less than an extortion level price (as the 10 bottles in my bunker attest), some people don't dig the flavor profile but I do. It makes great cocktails also. It dried up rather quickly at my usual stores but I can still get it when I travel to SF for $35-$38.

It is definitely no THH or Saz 18.

I am actually a really big fan of these and I’ve come to realize that it’s because my first 2 bottles were really good. I currently have one open that has as others have said a bit of the brine / mint happening (went down a bit after about 20min), this bottle has gone into my mixing pile now, although I will try it neat again once it airs for a few more weeks. But back to those first 2, big, rich and even hints of fudge and a great warming spice that went through to the finish and lingered.

I did read on one blog that the age of the rye in some of these bottles can go as high as 6 or even 7 years old and that Willett isn’t marking them as such so that when their own juice comes of age they won’t have this big age drop.

You can read anything on a blog, especially if the blogger is using other bloggers as a source. In the past Willett has been pretty quick to put an age statement on the bottle if the age is 6 or greater so I don't think there's anything more to read into that.

You can read anything on a blog, especially if the blogger is using other bloggers as a source. In the past Willett has been pretty quick to put an age statement on the bottle if the age is 6 or greater so I don't think there's anything more to read into that.

Very true. I will say that said blogger did in a twitter exchange throw that statement at Drew Kulsveen and he didnt deny it, but not a confirmation either.

No comment from Drew is a pretty standard response. I will say this though, Drew has been very forthcoming about mashbill and some other details about the whisky they are making at Willett so lets hope that trend continues.

Thanks very much for the information reason I am asking is they price the Willet the same as a THH and Sazerac 18yrs over here so if it's not in that sort of league then I'm wasting good money on a over prices rye :)

Thanks very much for the information reason I am asking is they price the Willet the same as a THH and Sazerac 18yrs over here so if it's not in that sort of league then I'm wasting good money on a over prices rye :)

If they have THH laying around for the same price as Willett 4 yr, buy all you can :lol: Definitely not in the same league, although I enjoy it for what it is - a young, high proof rye. Not a lot of alternatives in that arena around here. Rittenhouse BIB is also a 4 yr at a bit lower proof (but also believe that is more of a "barely legal rye"; not sure what the mashbill is on the Willett 4 yrs but it tastes to me like a higher rye mash).

I agree with the brine and mint notes but I also think it has an slightly herbal, grassy taste. I like it.

I like it for the "relative" value. I say relative because the price continues to climb. It is starting to be viewed as hard to find so it moves fast when it shows up in stores.

I would put it on par flavor-wise with HW Double Rye but at a stronger proof.

If they have THH laying around for the same price as Willett 4 yr, buy all you can :lol: Definitely not in the same league, although I enjoy it for what it is - a young, high proof rye. Not a lot of alternatives in that arena around here. Rittenhouse BIB is also a 4 yr at a bit lower proof (but also believe that is more of a "barely legal rye"; not sure what the mashbill is on the Willett 4 yrs but it tastes to me like a higher rye mash).

Thank you so kindly they have some 2011 THH :) quite a few bottles so I'll grab a few :)

I think it is more that the Willett rye must be crazy expensive in the Australian market than it is the THH and Saz18 is undervalued. That said, if you have to pay the same price for all three (and you are willing to pay it) then the THH and for me especially the Saz18 (the THH is still being made. We won't see the Saz18 in its current form again once it is gone) is definitely the way to go.

The Willett rye is currently the standard MGPI 95% rye mashbill. Presumably Willett will eventually be selling there own make but don't know if they will have adequate volume to stop buying MGPI rye (or perhaps blend it with their own stuff?)

Where are you people finding TH and Saz18?!?!?! I only get to buy drinks of it when I go to New Orleans. I've seen one bottle in the last 3 years, and didn't have the $120 they were asking for TH. That bottle was in NYC, so must have been 1.5 years ago. I know there are bottle out there, but warehouses won't release them to the store for me to purchase. I would be very thankful pick one up Help me out somone! Driving to Houston in a few minutes, will poke around there.

I like the Willet just fine for drining over an ice cube. Price has climbed, not dropping the over $40 out the door price... for now.

Barrel #10 was very good, had about 5 bottles of it.

Not overwhelmed with barrels 34, 43, 44, maybe barrel #1 was better than those but simply being barrel #1 might have shaped my opinion.

Barrel 33 is in S. Austin currently, haven't tried it.

THH and Sazerac 18yrs are plentiful over here in the right shops. Prices are around 4 times what you would pay in the States for a bottle, if the prices were the same I'd be drinking it everyday all the time and have a bunker load lol

I think it is more that the Willett rye must be crazy expensive in the Australian market than it is the THH and Saz18 is undervalued.

Ah ha - spot on!

But is four times the retail MSRP, or four times what people in the states are paying (which can be insanely stupid at times, IMHO)? Actually - nevermind; don't think it makes a difference :lol: Too much dough for what will be turned to piss if handled properly :-)

I have had many Willett 4 year ryes and have loved them all with the exception of one which I thought was a bit overly harsh compared to the others. I'd have to look up which barrel it was from.

That said, I'll buy any Willett I can find, no questions asked (even if it's from a barrel that I didn't really like). I really hold their releases in that high of a regard.

Ah ha - spot on!

But is four times the retail MSRP, or four times what people in the states are paying (which can be insanely stupid at times, IMHO)? Actually - nevermind; don't think it makes a difference :lol: Too much dough for what will be turned to piss if handled properly :-)

It is not the destination, it is the journey that counts! :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.