PET plasticbottles for air travel?

Vadertime
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It turns out I will be making a short stop to the USA next month and I think it will be a good opportunity to bring some of my USA bunker to Asia. The FAA allows 5 liters of alcohol to be carried on checked luggage IIRC and I plan to utilize this allowance its full measure. Unfortunately, 5 liters in glass is a bit too heavy, so I am thinking of alternatives. Unless somewhat gifts me multiple empty 750 travel bottles, I think I will have to rely on PET drink bottles. Is this an ok idea for short term transport?

Wheaters (only MM) and rye (none) are a bit tricky to get over here, so I plan to bring some Weller 12, Rittenhouse and Old Fitz Bib back with me.

I will be stopping in Narita, so Turkey 12 might also be in my future!

Cheers!

The problem I see is those will be open containers. Don't know what difficulties that might present but it's a thought.

The problem I see is those will be open containers. Don't know what difficulties that might present but it's a thought.

Hmmm, Delta (which I will be flying) requires booze to be in retail packaging. I suppose any retail packaging will do. Anyone have 750 ml travel empties laying around. I'll pay shipping!

Cheers

Hmmm, Delta (which I will be flying) requires booze to be in retail packaging. I suppose any retail packaging will do. Anyone have 750 ml travel empties laying around. I'll pay shipping!

Cheers

Delta may require that; Delta is not in charge of searching your luggage; TSA is not in the business of enforcing airline policy. Just saying.

I think with two suitcases you should do alright (put 3 750mll bottles, 1 200 ml bottle and 1 50 mL bottle in each). I think from a weight perspective, you'd be looking at around 12 - 14 lbs in each (plus clothes), which should be OK for checked luggage. Granted, the fee for the extra bag might be more than it would cost to ship back - not sure.

• 5 months later...

I carried the hooch in lots of 600ml Pet bottles without incident.

Cheers to me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.