New Rittenhouse Packaging

risenc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've learned never to judge a whiskey by its bottle, and of course I've long ago settled my thoughts on Rittenhouse. But am I alone in wondering why Heaven Hill replaced the old, not-great-but-okay packaging with this? It reminds me of the scores of anonymous, slapdash NDP bottles I see huddled at the liquor store every day.

The only thing I'm not going to like is if the price actually goes to $24.99. I can live with a $5 pop but it's just such a great value @ $19.99.

That being said I sort of like the retro label.

Both of my go-to dealers have finally segreated areas for Bourbon, rye, Tn Whiskey, and all the "craft" ndp's so it is easier locating them.

Both labels suck, but at least heaven hill tends to pass the savings from not hiring a graphic designer on to us.

I've learned never to judge a whiskey by its bottle, and of course I've long ago settled my thoughts on Rittenhouse. But am I alone in wondering why Heaven Hill replaced the old, not-great-but-okay packaging with this? It reminds me of the scores of anonymous, slapdash NDP bottles I see huddled at the liquor store every day.

So, uh, about that slapdash NDP thing...

RittenhouseBiBA3.jpg

u4yjady9.jpg

Edited by HighInTheMtns

How is it that the old ones look exactly like the new and at the same time better?

How is it that the old ones look exactly like the new and at the same time better?

Exactly. I get what they're trying to do -- make something that looks like the old bottles -- but they failed. Look at all the detail on those old labels; now look at how flat an uninteresting the new one is in comparison.

I'm with Clay on this one. Granted, I'm a designer, so I'm extra opinionated about such things to the point that others don't care.

I'm with Clay on this one. Granted, I'm a designer, so I'm extra opinionated about such things to the point that others don't care.

Since you have a more knowledgeable take on it that most of us, what would you change, assuming that the idea of incorporating elements from the old labels was something you had to work with?

I dont mind it, its a step up from the old bottle, and the tax stamp throwback inspired neck is kinda cool, I wonder if thats a cork under there now?

My perspective from a non-US pov is that this will increase inernational sales and I have an oppinion on its place in Australia, stop reading now if you dont like rambling expression of oppinion...

In Australia we generally get whiskey that looks "fancy", and basically all premiums have to have a cork closure, its what the average consumer wants, IMO it has a lot to do with hollywood films and our exposure to US culture through this, we like to mimick your past and currently we are going though a fairly widespread period of appreciating american culture through bourbon and american cusine such as slow cooked BBQ and traditional southern cooking, its crazy how many places I can buy pulled pork or po' boys, 3 years ago you just couldnt, no body even knew what they were, thanks Bourdain and co. (NOT sarcastic, i love this food).

And the whole rye rennaisance has been booming in the local bar scene for the last 5-8 years, probably thanks a lot to Mad Men

Ritt BiB sells for $90 here, people pay it. Meanwhile WTR101 was $45, and I remember trying to explain to people I was drinking with that WTR was a great rye for traditional cocktails and mostly the response was "but wild turkey is crap" - a lot of Australian see WT as a redneck drink while Ritt is trendy.

I have a friend that runs a high end bar, and he had trouble a year or so ago getting Ritt regularly, so he made the switch to high west double rye, I asked why when we could still get WTR for $40 a bottle cheaper, his response was that he coudlnt stock WT, his customers wouldnt drink it and the brand didnt suit his bar, but high west was an easy choice for his customers because it looks cool!

I will be keen to see if we get an increased distribution of Ritt now it has a fancy label.

Edited by onemorepour

Since you have a more knowledgeable take on it that most of us, what would you change, assuming that the idea of incorporating elements from the old labels was something you had to work with?

I think it's interesting that we have a year or so of the newer DSP 1 with the same label as DSP 354 Rittenhouse. I look forward to seeing the newly redesigned label in stores. I guess this makes it a little easier for those out hunting the DSP 354s still out there. I wouldn't mind seeing a new label with a nice age statement on it. I'd be happy to spend a few more bucks on that.

My only reservation on the new label is that it no longer says Continental Distilling. Even the current label still pays homage to Rittenhouse's heritage as a rye from Philadelphia distilled by Continental/Kinsey Distillery.

That would be a nice touch. Lost on today's consumers but a nice touch none the less.

I dont mind it, its a step up from the old bottle, and the tax stamp throwback inspired neck is kinda cool, I wonder if thats a cork under there now?

My perspective from a non-US pov is that this will increase inernational sales and I have an oppinion on its place in Australia, stop reading now if you dont like rambling expression of oppinion...

In Australia we generally get whiskey that looks "fancy", and basically all premiums have to have a cork closure, its what the average consumer wants, IMO it has a lot to do with hollywood films and our exposure to US culture through this, we like to mimick your past and currently we are going though a fairly widespread period of appreciating american culture through bourbon and american cusine such as slow cooked BBQ and traditional southern cooking, its crazy how many places I can buy pulled pork or po' boys, 3 years ago you just couldnt, no body even knew what they were, thanks Bourdain and co. (NOT sarcastic, i love this food).

And the whole rye rennaisance has been booming in the local bar scene for the last 5-8 years, probably thanks a lot to Mad Men

Ritt BiB sells for $90 here, people pay it. Meanwhile WTR101 was $45, and I remember trying to explain to people I was drinking with that WTR was a great rye for traditional cocktails and mostly the response was "but wild turkey is crap" - a lot of Australian see WT as a redneck drink while Ritt is trendy.

I have a friend that runs a high end bar, and he had trouble a year or so ago getting Ritt regularly, so he made the switch to high west double rye, I asked why when we could still get WTR for $40 a bottle cheaper, his response was that he coudlnt stock WT, his customers wouldnt drink it and the brand didnt suit his bar, but high west was an easy choice for his customers because it looks cool!

I will be keen to see if we get an increased distribution of Ritt now it has a fancy label.

Thanks for the info from down under. I see the same thing in bars here to a lesser extent. They have to appeal to the young 20 somethings who are ordering mixed drinks, and a higher priced rye going into their cocktail impresses everyone else at the bar already sloshed on hooch. At least the good stuff is left alone for us. Hate seeing what Rit costs you there, thats removing the value if I ever saw it. 26 here, and the rest of the us will see the same soon I imagine.

I like it. The current (or I guess former now?) labeling was pretty hideous - this is a big improvement.

My only hope like others have said was that this doesn't herald an increased cost

I like it. The current (or I guess former now?) labeling was pretty hideous - this is a big improvement.

My only hope like others have said was that this doesn't herald an increased cost

#twentynineandchangeatliquorbarntoday!

Thanks for the info from down under. I see the same thing in bars here to a lesser extent. They have to appeal to the young 20 somethings who are ordering mixed drinks, and a higher priced rye going into their cocktail impresses everyone else at the bar already sloshed on hooch. At least the good stuff is left alone for us. Hate seeing what Rit costs you there, thats removing the value if I ever saw it. 26 here, and the rest of the us will see the same soon I imagine.

• 2 months later...
Just remember that pretty much all American whiskey is crazy expensive in Australia.

Heck yeah it is. I travel regularly to the States and am shocked I can buy 2-3 bottles for the price of 1 here locally!

• 1 month later...

An acquaintance posted a picture of some new bottle purchases including the new Rittenhouse label. This came from K&L which perhaps has a pretty high turnover rate. Still, it presumably will start appearing on shelves soon.

post-8493-14489821409115_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821409115_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.