What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Last night started a concerted effort to empty my Balcones Rumble Cask Strenght. It's an excellent whiskey but if I never have another it won't be a loss either.
Wasnt that bad boy really limited or am I thinking of the Brimstone Resurrection?
Sorry but I really don't know if it was limited or not but then again I've never seen another bottle in the past year.

Last evening spent sometime with JD 90 proof. Going to save the rest of the bottle for my Son.

JD 90 proof. Going to save the rest of the bottle for my Son.

Why, do you not like him?:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Dickel 14 yr to finish up. On my short list for American Whiskey (bourbon) of the Year. Gorgeous whiskey. The 9 year is nice, but the 14 has more body and depth to it. One of the most chewy whiskies I've ever tasted, and the finish is beyond spectacular.

rub it in, joe.....

If I ever saw one of the 14 year Dickels, I think Id be inclined to ignore my $50 rule. With the 9 year being my favorite whiskey of all, Id have to know what the 14 year is like.

rub it in, joe.....

If I ever saw one of the 14 year Dickels, I think Id be inclined to ignore my $50 rule. With the 9 year being my favorite whiskey of all, Id have to know what the 14 year is like.

Binnys Did two 14yrs, one was woody, one was spicy. We picked a barrel for the bar and split it with West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago (they may have some left) I think they were selling them for $75. Its on the spicy side, reminds me more of old rye than a dickel mash.

Dickel 14 yr to finish up. On my short list for American Whiskey (bourbon) of the Year. Gorgeous whiskey. The 9 year is nice, but the 14 has more body and depth to it. One of the most chewy whiskies I've ever tasted, and the finish is beyond spectacular.

I tried the TPS Dickel 9 and 14 SBS, and preferred the profile of the 9, particularly for the difference in price. However, I've come to like it less. Other American whiskeys I hit on occasion: Stranhan's, Charbay R5, Balcone's Baby Blue.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a nightcap of Vermont Night. It's a local (Spirits of St. Louis) whiskey based product with some spices and maple syrup added. Very interesting. Makes for a nice nightcap and could be interesting in a cocktail.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason, I'm enjoying Corsair Old Punk this evening...I'm guessing it's the fresh batch of Halloween Oreos I'm pairing it with...:D.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't cracked either one yet, but I purchased Balcones Baby Blue and Texas Single Malt today - at MI state minimum, too! :)

Cracked another Balcones Single Malt last night - one of my favs. Not until the whole Balcones dustup started did I start reading more about the company. I didn't realize that the TSM went through several iterations, or experiments, to find the ideal proof and barreling procedure. The experimental batches were released with handwritten ABVs and a description of the wood used for aging. All of the handwritten ABVs were something other than 53 except for the final experiment which represented the final recipe. Once they decided on 53 ABV and an aging process, the ABV statement was in typeface on the label and the handwritten description of the wood disappeared from the back label. Anyway, I've been hunting for those TSMs with handwritten labels - only found 2 so far with the final handwritten ABV of 53. The one I opened last night was a recent release though. I'm bunkering the others b/c I think they're neat since they represent the batch that Chip felt was was his target profile for this product going forward.

I also acquired a Rumble Cask Reserve from a friend last week - this one is pretty rare - only a few hundred bottles per year.

My own! A blend of Dark Horse (the Canadian whisky which is heavy on the flavouring rye component), Jack Daniels (vat of different kinds of Jack), CC 100% Rye Grain, and dashes of Forty Creek Evolution and Blanton. A soft rich very flavorful whiskey, very happy with this one. Velvet taste with complex tangs at the edges.

Gary

My own! A blend of Dark Horse (the Canadian whisky which is heavy on the flavouring rye component), Jack Daniels (vat of different kinds of Jack), CC 100% Rye Grain, and dashes of Forty Creek Evolution and Blanton. A soft rich very flavorful whiskey, very happy with this one. Velvet taste with complex tangs at the edges.

Gary

Ahhhhh, the Mad Vatter strikes again! :grin: Nice Gary.

Ahhhhh, the Mad Vatter strikes again! :grin: Nice Gary.

Well, got to keep my hand in it. :) This one is really good though, the sweetness of the Jack remains but not the "excess" wood and correlatively it gives more a U.S. straight character to the Canadian flavouring ryes.

Gary

• 4 months later...

Just rolled in from a debacle of a travel day. Relaxing with a pour of Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey on some crushed ice paired with some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that Littlesmokinjoe had whipped up.

You know how cool that is? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Took a little pour of the bernheim 7 year wheat. I am enjoying this a lot more than the no age statement bernheim I had previously.

Poured some Gentleman Jack that I opened 3+ yrs ago, and haven't had a pour from since. Nice and mellow - not right in my wheelhouse, but a nice gear shift.

Poured some Gentleman Jack that I opened 3+ yrs ago, and haven't had a pour from since. Nice and mellow - not right in my wheelhouse, but a nice gear shift.

Given what you've been pouring lately I would think this would be your anti-wheelhouse

Given what you've been pouring lately I would think this would be your anti-wheelhouse

Enjoying some PHC #8. I'm not sure if sipping so closely behind an aged rye is throwing me off, but I'm getting (Rich - stop laughing) notes of anise; more so on the palate than the nose. Still a very nice whiskey - just different from what I remember.

...but I'm getting (Rich - stop laughing) notes of anise...

Already warmin' up for Saturday, Country? :lol: BTW, was that a "note", "hint", or BIG Anise??