What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Already warmin' up for Saturday, Country? :lol: BTW, was that a "note", "hint", or BIG Anise??

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a George Dickel Barrel Select, GD 9 year gift shop selection, and a Corsair Oatrage. Sampled the Corsair Barrel Strength Triple Smoke (gift shop-only), and George Dickel #1 White.

Purchased a George Dickel Barrel Select, GD 9 year gift shop selection, and a Corsair Oatrage. Sampled the Corsair Barrel Strength Triple Smoke (gift shop-only), and George Dickel #1 White.

How was the Corsair TS? Store by me had some but I passed since they wanted $60. I am eager to hit my local whiskey bar to try the Corsair Quinoa whiskey one of these days.

How was the Corsair TS? Store by me had some but I passed since they wanted $60. I am eager to hit my local whiskey bar to try the Corsair Quinoa whiskey one of these days.

Working on the bottom of this Two James Johnny Smoking Gun bottle finally. I have been nursing it a bit here and there because I quite like it and it's right at the upper end of my price comfort level.

pwQ34jz.png

The recent discussion about Westland prompted me to break out the two bottles I have along with a couple of other odds and ends to include the K&L bottling of the Low Gap "100% Malted Bavarian Hard Wheat" whiskey made on the old Germaine-Robin still and aged for 4 years in used bourbon barrels. alongside the Masterson's 12yo Wheat whiskey. The Low Gap was interesting and a bit vegetal (from the malted wheat?) despite its relative yuoth while the Masterson's was still thin and largely unremarkable despite 100 proof and 12 years of aging. I expect it was distilled to a pretty high proof to start with as one of the blending whiskies likely intended for a Canadian whisky.

post-8493-14489822179569_thumb.jpg

The Westland's are just very pleasant to drink with little youth in the taste despite their relative lack of age. The standard line is apparently typically little more than 2 years old and the Cask 29 is barrel proof that is 29 months old. Both are excellent.

A little bernheim wheat whiskey tonight.

The new 7 yr? It's finally on the shelves here but I've yet to prick up a bottle. The previous version was just meh to me.

The new 7 yr? It's finally on the shelves here but I've yet to prick up a bottle. The previous version was just meh to me.
I don't think this'll blow your skirt up either, then. It's supposedly the same stuff. I think one or two people on SB feel like it's different, but I haven't really noticed.

TT and Eric on Bernheim 7 yr & NAS --

Here's a link to my SBS tasting notes on a previous thread. Since posting that, I've tried a new 7 yr against my open NAS once (about a month ago when introducing a new-to-bourbon person to the difference between bourbon and a wheat whiskey) and still could not taste a difference between the 7 yr and the NAS so would not change my notes.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21802-Bernheim-Wheat-7-y-o/page5&highlight=Bernheim

EDIT - He couldn't, either, but he preferred the Bs over basic BT which I was using as the "bourbon" in the tasting.

TT and Eric on Bernheim 7 yr & NAS --

Here's a link to my SBS tasting notes on a previous thread. Since posting that, I've tried a new 7 yr against my open NAS once (about a month ago when introducing a new-to-bourbon person to the difference between bourbon and a wheat whiskey) and still could not taste a difference between the 7 yr and the NAS so would not change my notes.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21802-Bernheim-Wheat-7-y-o/page5&highlight=Bernheim

EDIT - He couldn't, either, but he preferred the Bs over basic BT which I was using as the "bourbon" in the tasting.

I found a bit to my surprise that I liked the old Bernheim a bit better than the new 7yo.

tans . . . -- No kidding?!! Did you figure out a specific difference? As I said in my first set of notes back in Sep 2014, I found no 'noticeable' difference. Couldn't say there was NO difference. Was it just something you felt? More than once, I've found that, over time, that latter "feeling" has served me well.

OTOH, this is a wheat whiskey, and I tend to drink wheated bourbons and Bernheim only occasionally more during the Summer on hot days than on a regular basis so slight differences don't bother me much.

tans . . . -- No kidding?!! Did you figure out a specific difference? As I said in my first set of notes back in Sep 2014, I found no 'noticeable' difference. Couldn't say there was NO difference. Was it just something you felt? More than once, I've found that, over time, that latter "feeling" has served me well.

OTOH, this is a wheat whiskey, and I tend to drink wheated bourbons and Bernheim only occasionally more during the Summer on hot days than on a regular basis so slight differences don't bother me much.

Well, it was almost 3 months ago so I may need to try them again! As I recall the older bottle (maybe 5 years old at most?) had a nice caramel note that the newer bottle lacked. Perhaps the extra aging began to bring more barrel influence into play and tamping down the slightly sweeter character that tends to set Bernheim apart from bourbon. I any case I was not the only one in the group to prefer the NAS in a blind SBS.

Well, it was almost 3 months ago so I may need to try them again! As I recall the older bottle (maybe 5 years old at most?) had a nice caramel note that the newer bottle lacked. Perhaps the extra aging began to bring more barrel influence into play and tamping down the slightly sweeter character that tends to set Bernheim apart from bourbon. I any case I was not the only one in the group to prefer the NAS in a blind SBS.
Hmm, I was under the impression that the stuff had been 7 years old for awhile, HH was just trying a new tack to premiumize it. Oh well, I still like the 7 yr old stuff just fine. I will shamefully admit that I preferred the old gaudy copper bottle, though. The new bottle gives me woodford reserve flashbacks.

Drinking Bernheim Wheat tonight. Opened it to replace High West's A Midwinter Night's Dram as my "guest" (read: non bourbon, non scotch) whiskey. First sip was okay, but it needs some time and water to open up, methinks.

Drinking Bernheim Wheat tonight. Opened it to replace High West's A Midwinter Night's Dram as my "guest" (read: non bourbon, non scotch) whiskey. First sip was okay, but it needs some time and water to open up, methinks.

Which batch was that HW MWND?

So I did some more research on this bottle, and found that it did open up quite nicely with some time. A drop or two of water sped things up, but was mostly unnecessary. So after all that "research," I believe I have pinned down why I like this so much: the malted barley really shines through for me. I guess I taste some of the things "professional" reviewers say they do, but it really is the quiet sweetness and malt that do it for me. I think that explains why the Parker's Heritage release didn't really appeal to me as much, and probably appealed to others on this forum more: the oak tannins just aren't as prevalent here, and that makes the profile pretty different from a lot of bourbons. Love it, and will probably continue to keep a bottle around, assuming oxidation doesn't play any nasty tricks on me as the fill level of the bottle drops.

Which batch was that HW MWND?
It was act 2.2. Really enjoyed it, though the last glass or two seemed to have less port influence than the rest of the bottle. Could have been me, though.

It was act 2.2. Really enjoyed it, though the last glass or two seemed to have less port influence than the rest of the bottle. Could have been me, though.

Interesting how our palates are constantly shifting...

I have a 2.3 and a 1 open and I think I prefer the 2.3 - I feel like I need to vat the 1 with regular Rendezvous as it is borderline too cloying for me.

Interesting how our palates are constantly shifting...

I have a 2.3 and a 1 open and I think I prefer the 2.3 - I feel like I need to vat the 1 with regular Rendezvous as it is borderline too cloying for me.

I don't think you're alone there. I've seen a few other folks resort to some well made cocktails to dilute the rather intense port flavor in act 1, especially after the novelty has worn off. For my part, 2.2 was just right. Didn't have access to act 1, though. Assuming it doesn't become too difficult to find, or the quality doesn't slip, I'll definitely be buying a bottle or two every fall.

Not too intense at all! Act 1 is a lovely port, umm I mean whiskey. :cool:

I am glad I have several Act 1's left and wouldn't consider using it in a cocktail just to "dilute" it. Not that it can't work in a cocktail on its own merits!

Yeah I'm not saying it wasn't awesome, just that according to Facebook it wasn't for everyone. Then again, maybe port finished rye as a whole isnt. But so far it has been for me!

Also just wanted to stated that one of the Leupold Bros folka spoke up in the main forum and explained why it is unlikely people taste malt in bourbon/rye/wheat whiskey, so I guess my Bernheim theorizing was incorrect. Oh well, still tastes great.

Had some PHC#8 and continue to love it - I wouldn't know it was not a bourbon without the label. I have heard rumors that there was a third batch released recently. Anybody here see it on the shelves?