What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Finally cracked this 375ml Early Times 150th Anniversary bottle. Picked it up on sale more than a year ago, and then read reviews which didn't paint a pretty picture (not that I expected anything special for the $9 or $10 I paid). I'm glad I read the negative reviews, as it exceeded my expectations. Very mellow as I expected - reminds me a bit of Dickel; loads of corn with a more abrasive finish. Not something I'll reach for often, but not something I'd spill out either.

Had some PHC#8 and continue to love it - I wouldn't know it was not a bourbon without the label. I have heard rumors that there was a third batch released recently. Anybody here see it on the shelves?

I have asked about it but so far no sign of it as far as I know.

Had some PHC#8 and continue to love it - I wouldn't know it was not a bourbon without the label.

Same. Had a nice pour of this last night while watching Mad Men. The smoothness of the wheat is going great with the warmer spring temperatures we've been having the last few days.

Managed to acquire several bottles of the 2015 "Devil's Bit" from McMenamin's this year. They are sold only on St. Patrick's Day but my connection just got them to me this past weekend. This year the bottling is a bit younger at 5 years but is kind of interesting in that it uses the same Maris Otter barley found in the Glenmo Private Edition Tusail. The other difference besides the age is that the Devil's Bit was aged entirely in a local Syrah port style cask.

Should make for an interesting comparison.

Enjoying a pour of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey tonight. This is just an absolutely outstanding gentle whiskey. I don't know how well it sells, but I hope well enough to keep it on the shelves. Because this will be a regular pour for me.

The new version of HW Bourye seems to have hit town in my absence. I expect it may make an appearance head to head with the original at the Wednesday tasting tomorrow!

The new version of HW Bourye seems to have hit town in my absence. I expect it may make an appearance head to head with the original at the Wednesday tasting tomorrow!
Eagerly awaiting your results! Its available in MD for $73, which is a bit high but not unreasonable if the whiskey is excellent.

Eagerly awaiting your results! Its available in MD for $73, which is a bit high but not unreasonable if the whiskey is excellent.

Ditto - I passed on it as well (can't recall for what price), so look forward to your thoughts!

Enjoying a nice pour of HW Campfire XO (which is "mostly" American whiskey, but not sure there is a thread it fits better!)

I'm about halfway through a bottle of Balcones 5th Anniversary Bourbon and have had a pour of it tonight. Wonderful stuff.

Briefly discussed the SBS of the old and new Bourye in the Wednesday Tastings thread. But the bottom line was we somewhat unexpectedly preferred the new to the old after tasting from two newly opened bottles. It was also available on the Gazebo table so others may have done their own evaluation. At least one person noted prefering the old version.

Having a big fat pour of Bernheim. Going to kill this bottle tonight. So good. Give it a chance gents.

After killing the last bit of my bottle of Bernheim (RIP, you will be replaced . . . easily . . . and that's a complement), I opened my bottle of Hirsch 20 year American Whiskey. First thoughts: Excellent nose. That beautiful varnish/twizzlers aroma I enjoy in older scotch whiskies. Taste sort of falls apart. Corny, gritty/dirty flavors, with some cinnamon and other holiday spices showing up. The finish is pretty nice, with the baking spices hanging out long after the end of the event. It's like someone mixed young bourbon with really old grain whisky. Huh. I'll let this sit a bit and see where it ends up. If the grit and dirt disappear, this could be a nice whiskey. If not, I guess I'll have some really expensive weekend coffee.

After killing the last bit of my bottle of Bernheim (RIP, you will be replaced . . . easily . . . and that's a complement), I opened my bottle of Hirsch 20 year American Whiskey. First thoughts: Excellent nose. That beautiful varnish/twizzlers aroma I enjoy in older scotch whiskies. Taste sort of falls apart. Corny, gritty/dirty flavors, with some cinnamon and other holiday spices showing up. The finish is pretty nice, with the baking spices hanging out long after the end of the event. It's like someone mixed young bourbon with really old grain whisky. Huh. I'll let this sit a bit and see where it ends up. If the grit and dirt disappear, this could be a nice whiskey. If not, I guess I'll have some really expensive weekend coffee.

Every time I see that Hirsch 20yr American whiskey sitting on a local shelf it looks so, not 20yrs. There are 4yr olds sitting next to it that are darker. Is yours transparent yellow, that's what I see.

Every time I see that Hirsch 20yr American whiskey sitting on a local shelf it looks so, not 20yrs. There are 4yr olds sitting next to it that are darker. Is yours transparent yellow, that's what I see.
Yeah. It was aged in used barrels, which I knew when I bought it. It was a risk, but was part of a large purchase of better things, which put me in the good graces of a store owner and enabled me to purchase a THH, GTS, & WLW at or slightly below MSRP in 2013. Given what I paid for it, not terribly sorry if it ends up sucking. Allowed me to satisfy A LOT of curiosity about the fancy stuff.

If nothing else, it'll do for coffee, cocktails, or blending some age into young, flavorsome, and rough stuff. I assume the lot was originally intended for blending anyway, then either got too old or was sold off due to excess stock. And hey, the nose is really interesting.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not recommending it as a smart purchase for anyone who isn't getting something good out of the deal. There are some way better risks to take out there.

Edited by garbanzobean

Having a second pour of that Hirsch 20yr tonight. It's fruity and sweet, but it sort of tastes like really good bourbon mixed with some hot vodka tonight. I think it's going to go onto my lonely shelf for occasional drinkers with my non-whiskies.

Home after a trip to Chicago this week , and a couple of my fave bourbons just ain't hitting my sweet spot. So, went over to the Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey, and it's just about perfect for me, now. :yum:

Home after a trip to Chicago this week , and a couple of my fave bourbons just ain't hitting my sweet spot. So, went over to the Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey, and it's just about perfect for me, now. :yum:

Revisiting Gentleman Jack tonight. Not a bottle I see myself replacing (for what they're asking for it these days), but an enjoyable gear shift from time to time.

Damn, second thread I've seen lately mentioning Mellow Corn. Gonna have to pick up a bottle as soon as my self imposed purchasing ban is lifted.

• I like it 1

Damn, second thread I've seen lately mentioning Mellow Corn. Gonna have to pick up a bottle as soon as my self imposed purchasing ban is lifted.

That's the first crack, TT...How much longer can you hold out... :lol:

The amazing thing so far Joe is every time I go to the bunker to retrieve a bottle I'm just happy/happy with what I find.

The bad thing about my bunker is that I don't have a written inventory of what is down there. That's the good news too as every case is closed and I don't know what's inside until I lift up the flaps.

It's like Christmas/birthday presents once/twice a week.

The amazing thing so far Joe is every time I go to the bunker to retrieve a bottle I'm just happy/happy with what I find.

The bad thing about my bunker is that I don't have a written inventory of what is down there. That's the good news too as every case is closed and I don't know what's inside until I lift up the flaps.

It's like Christmas/birthday presents once/twice a week.

I have a written inventory and I still find the occasional surprise...