What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

8 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

as per much of tennessee whiskey, it's filtered.  

I'm looking for one of these.  looks like interesting link to history

I wouldn't look too hard.

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I wouldn't look too hard.

Picked up 2.  I like the label.  Beverage okay.  Woodford on the front end. A few flavors going on, better than expected.  Some harshness, of course, but it is toddler at 2 year old.  Harshness in the finish.  Greater than expected finish. No wood.  At 8 or 10 years age this might be really tasty.  I'll play a lot with this bottle.  Already getting unusual flavor 4th pour so this might have more interesting things to offer.  Though they priced it reasonable for craft, it would have to be cheaper to make it regular friend.  

Silly me. I avoided Belle Meade since it's sourced, but also picked up regular and cask to see what Green Brier did with that.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:39 PM, PaulO said:

I picked up one of these today for the first time.  I was quite interested to try something new for a change....

And this is one of many reasons SB forum so fun!  This wasn't on my radar and now having blast with it.  Thanks for heads up.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson’s Green Brier on college football Saturday watching Purdue/Mich St after watching the wild UNC win over Wake.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite JD juice.

I gave our son's girlfriend a pour.

She's a big fan of barrel proofers.

She loved it,  and could not believe it was JD.

I hope that the secret never gets out!

20211125_185546.jpg

• I like it 6

• 3 months later...

Not drinking, and haven’t purchased. Yet. 🤔 Any thought?  Is this just SAOS with a new label? Only $19.99?

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Joe, I heard Smooth Ambler changed their packaging recently.

You might want to read the label to see where it's distilled.

I doubt it was aged much more than four years.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Thanks Paul. Hopefully I can get to the store this weekend and check it out. This store used to have the old label SAOS for $39.99. They’d put in on sale fairly regularly for $32.99. The new label and price threw me off a bit. SA’s website doesn’t show the new label. Could this be their own distillate? 

Biba! Joe

On 3/3/2022 at 9:34 AM, PaulO said:

At that price it might be more like 4 months...

Their own original distillate was not very good so maybe they are just trying to get rid of it?

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

At that price it might be more like 4 months...

Their own original distillate was not very good so maybe they are just trying to get rid of it?

I know you're being sarcastic toward SA, but I assume "Straight Bourbon" on the label requires at least two years of age with a statement, if less than four years old.  No statement is at least four years of age.

Definitely some careful label reading in order here before risking $20.

I suppose it could have been distilled in: WV, TN, or IN.  They have to put that on the label.

If it was at least four years old and distilled in IN, I'd think about it.

Younger juice and or from the other places = non starter.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:15 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Not drinking, and haven’t purchased. Yet. 🤔 Any thought?  Is this just SAOS with a new label? Only $19.99?

Biba! Joe

I wonder if something might be askew with this stores website. 🤔

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Vine & Table J. Rieger Private Stock. 

J. Rieger's Kansas City Whiskey is an interesting blend of straight bourbon (MGP), rye, light corn whiskey, and a touch of 15-year old Oloroso sherry.  This bottle was aged in a cabernet barrel and bottled at barrel proof (122 proof).  It has a long, dry spicy finish.  Not a straight bourbon or rye with a flavoring additive and finished in a wine barrel.  Not normally my wheelhouse but it is a nice dessert whiskey to finish off the weekend.  

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Vine & Table J. Rieger Private Stock. 

J. Rieger's Kansas City Whiskey is an interesting blend of straight bourbon (MGP), rye, light corn whiskey, and a touch of 15-year old Oloroso sherry.  This bottle was aged in a cabernet barrel and bottled at barrel proof (122 proof).  It has a long, dry spicy finish.  Not a straight bourbon or rye with a flavoring additive and finished in a wine barrel.  Not normally my wheelhouse but it is a nice dessert whiskey to finish off the weekend.  

Wow, that’s one confused blend. I’m curious :)

A lovely neat pour of George Dickel Bottled in Bond 13yo at dinner last night. At $28.00 for the pour and an additional $9.00 to have it neat, I was glad that George was picking up the tab.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

A lovely neat pour of George Dickel Bottled in Bond 13yo at dinner last night. At $28.00 for the pour and an additional $9.00 to have it neat, I was glad that George was picking up the tab.

I really don't get the "neat premium".  If it's 2 oz instead of an 1 1/2 ounces, okay.  But when I order it neat I'm really just asking that you pour the same amount that you were going to pour over ice, just in a glass by itself.  When I see this type of pricing it immediately makes me distrustful.  I start wondering about watering down, etc.  And then I don't go back to that particular establishment. 

• I like it 5

50 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I really don't get the "neat premium".  If it's 2 oz instead of an 1 1/2 ounces, okay.  But when I order it neat I'm really just asking that you pour the same amount that you were going to pour over ice, just in a glass by itself.  When I see this type of pricing it immediately makes me distrustful.  I start wondering about watering down, etc.  And then I don't go back to that particular establishment. 

Exactly. I’ve only encountered it in Las Vegas, which typically has the thinnest selection and smallest pours I find on my travels. Not my kind of town, but business is business. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good old Dickel 12

I was just having this and had a craving for Dickel 12. I’ll grab a bottle tomorrow. 

89BCDFBE-DF11-4171-91FD-89502F666D76.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kane said:

I was just having this and had a craving for Dickel 12. I’ll grab a bottle tomorrow. 

89BCDFBE-DF11-4171-91FD-89502F666D76.jpeg

🤣 ...or...you could just crush a tablet up and stir into some Jack Black......

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

🤣 ...or...you could just crush a tablet up and stir into some Jack Black......

Haha! My bad, that was a missed meme opportunity. 

• I like it 1

For those who like the Jack Daniels profile here is one that takes the JD flavor and hits it out of the park.  Chattanooga Whiskey has been out there for a few years now and has some great offerings.  My favorite is there cask strength 111 proof.  This is so good and smooth it drinks more like a 94 proof.  Very rich flavor and finish.  One of my favorites that I can pick up on line from time to time.  Defiantly worth the shipping cost.  If you come across a bottle pick it up, you won’t be disappointed.  Dean

B6360842-9FB9-427A-A710-D5F07D0BDFAD.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 3/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, Marekv8 said:

an additional $9.00 to have it neat

That's total bullshit.  I'd walk out and never return.

• I like it 1