What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

On 4/10/2022 at 7:12 PM, Dean E said:

For those who like the Jack Daniels profile here is one that takes the JD flavor and hits it out of the park.  Chattanooga Whiskey has been out there for a few years now and has some great offerings.  My favorite is there cask strength 111 proof.  This is so good and smooth it drinks more like a 94 proof.  Very rich flavor and finish.  One of my favorites that I can pick up on line from time to time.  Defiantly worth the shipping cost.  If you come across a bottle pick it up, you won’t be disappointed.  Dean

B6360842-9FB9-427A-A710-D5F07D0BDFAD.jpeg

They are making some very nice whiskies, the rye is also good and the most recent BIB was excellent.

• I like it 1

A pour of AD Laws 6yr bonded centennial wheat. This is the only wheat whiskey I have had and it’s decent, a mood pour and I would agree with the consensus I have gathered from several reviews I’ve seen. I appreciate what they are doing and in a few years the results may catch up with that appreciation. A couple of drops did indeed open it up even though I do-not typically add water to anything 100p or lower. The mouthfeel is quite pleasant both before and after the addition of water, a highlight of this whiskey for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m a couple pours over a couple of sessions with the Jack Daniel’s Triple Mash, and I am nowhere to drawing a bead on it.  I can’t even say if I like it, let alone being able to break it down.  So far, i’m only seeing a noticeably hot mid and back palate.  A cinnamon note hits around…sometimes.  Some rose-like floral stuff on the nose…sometimes.  No wood.  A lot of unidentifiable, hit and run, flavor profiles bouncing around.  It seems to be a very disjointed whiskey, but since I can’t say that I don’t like it, I’ll have to give it more time.  The only thing that is gnawing at me is that I keep thinking it reminds me of some type of craft bourbon😵💫. I’m not sure I can get past that…

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The only thing that is gnawing at me is that I keep thinking it reminds me of some type of craft bourbon😵💫. I’m not sure I can get past that…

I know my brother so this statement is very much not a good thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a tasting put on by 10th Street Distillery after work yesterday.  

https://www.10thstreetdistillery.com/home#our-whiskies

Tried four offerings and all were delicious.  The California Coast blended whisky is a blend of two of 10 Street's single malts with light whisky from MGP.  It's very oily in the mouth.  Their own single malts peated or not are really something given the age.  There's none of the typical brash youthfulness that shows up so often with newer producers.  I highly recommend giving them a chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 10:33 PM, Kane said:

Killing the low fill bottles. Great summer pour out of the freezer. 

226C80BB-14BA-4073-A2F8-A220E3A8DCDB.jpeg

I love it!

MC is a staple in the freezer.

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love it!

MC is a staple in the freezer.

And this bottle wasn’t replaced since then because either we hit another inexplicable scarcity wave in MA or I’ve been very very unlucky. So annoying. 

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

And this bottle wasn’t replaced since then because either we hit another inexplicable scarcity wave in MA or I’ve been very very unlucky. So annoying. 

Ya really gotta try OF 86 as a freezer pour. Seriously. 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, Kane said:

Damn!

Keep looking!

On 7/8/2022 at 12:43 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Ya really gotta try OF 86 as a freezer pour. Seriously. 👍

Biba! Joe

Got one today thanks to you. Chilling in the freezer. OF isn’t something I normally stock.  

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Had a last pour of some McKenzie Pot Still from Finger Lakes Distilling.  Malt whiskey isn't my go to but this isn't bad at all.  I have been impressed with their offerings.

• 1 month later...

I went to a local store that had a whiskey event over the weekend where you could purchase offered bottles for 20% off.  I had seen the available bourbon list and was hoping to pick up a few bottles that I have been wanting to try.  Unfortunately, none of those bottles were available, although the store offered to see if they could order them while the sale is still on.

Anyway, I decided to try a few pours of store picks and ended up stepping outside my box by pick up a bottle of Backbone Straight Wheat Whiskey.  Bernheim Straight Wheat Whiskey is the only other straight wheat whiskey I had ever purchased and I found it a hot mess, even at only 90 proof so I have been reluctant to dip my toe in this pond again.

However, this whiskey is excellent.  My initial impression is it is a solid alternative to quality wheated bourbons.  It is MGP and the mashbill is 95% wheat/5% malted barley.  The nose is strong for a 4+ year old whiskey with nice caramel and spice notes.  The palate is caramel, honey and creme brulee.  The finish has a hint of sweet tea.  Creamy rich goodness in a glass.  At a 120 proof, a quite enjoyable pour.  As I walked out the door, I was already questioning whether my taste buds had duped me.  However, after getting home, I now realize they were actually holding back so I wouldn't buy more.  This is a perfect fall, holiday whiskey.  I will explore more and, if my palate confirms my initial impression, I will go back for another bottle.

Resized_20221016_190242(1).jpg

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...

Opened my second bottle of Backbone Wheat tonight.  I know, I know.  It is a weeknight. But, it is cold out and I had to draft a work response to someone who jumped to a  conclusion based on a faulty assumption.  They sent their conclusion to others so my response has to include others.  I want to make my point but be nice about it.  Whiskey clears my mind and makes me smarter. 😀

Anyway, on my second bottle, my opinion remains the same.  This is a really enjoyable whiskey.  I will be on that side of town next week so I hope to be able to stop in for another bottle, albeit at a slightly higher price since my first two bottles were 20% off.

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Whiskey clears my mind and makes me smarter. 😀

It has the same affect on me 🤣 

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

will be on that side of town next week so I hope to be able to stop in for another bottle, albeit at a slightly higher price since my first two bottles were 20% off.

That has to be killing you.  🤣

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Anwalt said:

That has to be killing you.  🤣

It is gnawing at my very existence.  I will probably cave.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

It has the same affect on me 🤣 

They say alcohol kills brain cells.  I view it as thinning out the weak ones. 😀

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I was gifted a WR Wheat Whiskey.  I was offered this bottle or a standard WR.  I had never had the Wheat Whiskey so I thought this would be the perfect chance to give it a go.  

Having no experience with this whiskey, I googled online reviews and started thinking maybe I made a mistake. Normally, I find WR to be average at best but, occasionally, depending on my palate at any given time, I find it enjoyable.  

Of course, I decided to open it tonight to give it a try.  My first few sips were just meh.  The nose is decent.  I picked up oak, peach and caramel.  The palate on the seemed somewhat muted.  This would be a lot better at 100 proof.  The finish was ok but not very long.  Still it is a decent whiskey relative to the other standard offerings in the WR family.  While I doubt I would buy a bottle myself, I prefer it over WR DO and place it on par with WR and WR Rye.  Of course, given the price, there are a lot of whiskies I would buy before reaching for another bottle.  

• I like it 3

A little over half-way through this bottle and it has grown on me.  The local price is around $33 and typically the same for WR, WR Rye, WR Wheat, and WR Malt.  $33 is a little too expensive but I would pay $25 for any of these.

• I like it 3

Found a Balcone's Texas Single Malt Binny's store pick buried in the bunker from 2019. Didn't know I had it. It's been awhile since I hade any of this. Last bottle was probably when Chip Tate was running things. I still have a couple old Chip Tate era bottles of the Texas Single Malt with the hand written ABVs which were released by batch as they were trying to dial in the permanent ABV, thus there were a series of releases with varying ABVs, some with decimal points, all hand written. They finally settled in at 53% and its been machine printed ABVs ever since.  I liked Chip Tate's story so I'm hanging onto my new-era dusties. I googled Chip Tate and he's apparently built himself some new stills/distillery in Waco, TX, operating as Tate & Co. Distillery but hasn't released any whisky. 

Anyways, the Balcone's bottle is good as usual. This is a very good product regardless of whether its a Tate era bottle or one produced by the corporate raiders that took over.

• I like it 2