What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Since I can't find a thread for "Other American Whisky" via Tapatalk, here's a new thread!

I'm sipping on some Charbay R3 (or III) tonight from a sample bottle and this stuff is delicious! Lychee juice cut with skunky weed water - I just can't get enough...

=]b

Funny you should mention Charbay as an "other" whisky. I was laughing about it until I tasted the R5 aged at lunch (posted elsewhere about how well it went with a Monte Cristo). I don't laugh about Charbay any more.

Harry-

I never took them seriously either until last week when we had an informal get together - this was the spread:

13918219713_4a59d050cc_b.jpg

The R3 held it's own in that lineup and even stood out because it has a unique flavor profile and because it is just outright good.

Edited by ChainWhip

That's what you call informal?

More to the point, I'm not a scotch person, but there are several in your picture that I own and a couple more I covet. The aged R5 I had was good enough that I intend on trying their others. We have a "tasting-for-charity" at a bourbon bar coming up, and I think I may freelance if I've had the charity offerings. Already have the cab ride home set up so . . .

Sounds like you're set! If you get to try more of the Charbays, I'd be keen to read your thoughts. I recently pulled the trigger on Lost Spirits Umami simply because of how these funky / off-the-wall whiskies speak to me.

I feel the same way about Japanese scotch (yeah, off thread but it's late). One bottle of Yamazaki and 3/4 bottle of Hibiki convinced me that Suntory's purchase of Beam may not hurt and may, like Kirin with 4R, yield some pleasant surprises. (Now, back on thread) Right after it came out, I bought the Dead Guy Ale whisky. I like their beer so figured I'd help them out. It wasn't bad for a whisky made by a beer company. Certainly, it was better than some of the craft whiskies and lower shelf blends I've bought over the last forty years. Of course, when one figures in price . . . Bad thought, when price is considered, is Seagram's 7 Crown in its current incarnation an "other American whisky"? (Insert the shudder smiley here.)

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan & don't get me started on Kirin - they killed off one of my favorite Japanese distilleries :(

Maybe we should rename this thread to American Craft Whiskies?

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like you're set! If you get to try more of the Charbays, I'd be keen to read your thoughts. I recently pulled the trigger on Lost Spirits Umami simply because of how these funky / off-the-wall whiskies speak to me.

If you like the weird ones, the Lost Spirits Leviathan III is solid as well. I liked it more than the Umami when I tried them but both were good. And weird.

Did you try the Charbay S as well? I've been eyeing that one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It'd be great to get your thoughts.

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan & don't get me started on Kirin - they killed off one of my favorite Japanese distilleries :(

Maybe we should rename this thread to American Craft Whiskies?

If you like the weird ones, the Lost Spirits Leviathan III is solid as well. I liked it more than the Umami when I tried them but both were good. And weird.

Did you try the Charbay S as well? I've been eyeing that one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It'd be great to get your thoughts.

I have a Charbay S sample coming my way so I'll have a better idea soon.

Poor Karuizawa. How I miss thee.

It's truly tragic and unfortunately, I'm priced out of Karuizawa now.

I have a Charbay S sample coming my way so I'll have a better idea soon.

It's truly tragic and unfortunately, I'm priced out of Karuizawa now.

You and me both.

I tried the Charbay S last night and you can tell it's in the same family as the Release III but it's definitely muted in comparison.

That said, I think I like it enough to pull in a bottle (or two) - next to try is the R5.

Last night I had two pours from an open bottle of Balcones Rumble. Damn this is fine whiskey and I have been hoping the bottle will last until I see another.

Last night I had two pours from an open bottle of Balcones Rumble. Damn this is fine whiskey and I have been hoping the bottle will last until I see another.

Although I agree the Rumble, at least the cask strength version, is a mighty fine pour (the regular Rumble is OK but doesn't stand up to her big sister!) she is definitely not a whiskey. Being made of honey, sugar and "fig spirit" of some sort (a fig eau de vie I presume) the closest relative would be a rum/fruit brandy blend I suppose.

I tried the Charbay S last night and you can tell it's in the same family as the Release III but it's definitely muted in comparison.

That said, I think I like it enough to pull in a bottle (or two) - next to try is the R5.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. I saw it on sale recently so I might have to pick up a bottle

Although I agree the Rumble, at least the cask strength version, is a mighty fine pour (the regular Rumble is OK but doesn't stand up to her big sister!) she is definitely not a whiskey. Being made of honey, sugar and "fig spirit" of some sort (a fig eau de vie I presume) the closest relative would be a rum/fruit brandy blend I suppose.

Got back into the Mellow Corn tonight after a lengthy time away. Really smooth and easy drinking. Probably will bring this back into the rotation for a while...

Sipping on Umami tonight and it's uhh... Well it's weird alright. I'm not sure what I'm drinking and honestly it has left me dazed/confused.

Umami isn't the right way to describe it though - will revisit on a clean palate and repost.

I had to get my own bottle after finishing my sample...

Charbay Release III

14179337351_8cc20a4a66_z.jpg

I cringe at the sight of that label.......hops are what is wrong with beer, now someone is intentionally putting it in whiskey?

different strokes....

I cringe at the sight of that label.......hops are what is wrong with beer, now someone is intentionally putting it in whiskey?

different strokes....

Try stroking it - you might like it...

Try stroking it - you might like it...

I never try anything I don't already like.

Hops are what is wrong w beer? I'm not sure I know what to say.

• I like it 1

Hops are what is wrong w beer? I'm not sure I know what to say.

I don't know, sounds like a vodka drinker to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I never try anything I don't already like.

Said Sam when asked about his green eggs & ham...

Edited by ChainWhip