Jump to content
ChainWhip

What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Recommended Posts

smokinjoe   
smokinjoe

It's been awhile since I've gone to this Dickel 14 year 106 proof.  Just a slight vitamin note on the nose, which is not surprising.  But, HUGE blast of coconut on the palate.  Glides into a finish of polished wood and leather.  Wow, that's nice!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC   
Harry in WashDC

Joe - Wish I'd seen your post earlier.  I have a GD Barrel Select I bought last year and have not yet opened.  I keep forgetting I have it, GD products not really being on my faves list. I really ought to give it a shot.  For some reason, the higher proof "Tennessee" whiskies do taste good to me while their lower proof friends don't.

 

Instead, tonight I'm sipping on a hefty pour of Whistle Pig 15 YR Straight Rye, neat.  I knew I needed to work down my rye supply (after I went on the neat rye tasting spree a few weeks ago and "accumulated" ryes I thought I'd like to taste) as I now have a dozen or more (well, more for sure) bottles of rye open, and I just hate using them all in Manhattans, except for a couple of them - Baby Saz, Pikesville 110, Ritt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kwshannon   
kwshannon

Local store still has GJ 375 for $9.99.  Could not pass up getting 2 more.  Enjoying some tonight.  Great deal, love the smooth taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC   
Harry in WashDC

CR HSB 103 proof (again - been a few weeks since I had some).  I wonder how they hand selected barrels that, when bottled, ALL seem to result in 103 proof.  After tasting it yet again, I ask myself, "Who cares?"  For 103 proof, this sure goes down easily, has no burn, is as sweet as you'd expect a Canadian to be, but is not TOO sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe   
fishnbowljoe
18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

CR HSB 103 proof.  For 103 proof, this sure goes down easily, has no burn, is as sweet as you'd expect a Canadian to be, but is not TOO sweet.

 

It's been a while since I bought my bottle, but from what I remember, my thoughts on this are pretty much identical to yours Harry. 

 

Cheers! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

CR HSB 103 proof (again - been a few weeks since I had some).  I wonder how they hand selected barrels that, when bottled, ALL seem to result in 103 proof.  After tasting it yet again, I ask myself, "Who cares?"  For 103 proof, this sure goes down easily, has no burn, is as sweet as you'd expect a Canadian to be, but is not TOO sweet.

 

While a much higher proof than typical CR this is clearly not barrel proof. They are all at 103. But I do think it is one of the better CR's I have had although having had a couple different ones there does seem to be some slight variation in each one as you might expect with a (more or less) single barrel whisky. As you say it is not too sweet. Almost as good as the bottle of standard CR I have from 1967!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe   
fishnbowljoe
3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

While a much higher proof than typical CR this is clearly not barrel proof. They are all at 103. But I do think it is one of the better CR's I have had although having had a couple different ones there does seem to be some slight variation in each one as you might expect with a (more or less) single barrel whisky. As you say it is not too sweet. Almost as good as the bottle of standard CR I have from 1967!

 

I wonder if the rumor about SW selling distillate to Diageo for CR is true. If so, no wonder I liked CR so much back in the day. :)

 

Cheers! Joe

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

 

I wonder if the rumor about SW selling distillate to Diageo for CR is true. If so, no wonder I liked CR so much back in the day. :)

 

Cheers! Joe

 

 

 

That is a rumor I had not heard before but in the glut area I expect just about anything was possible. Although it presumably was Seagram's they would selling to, not Diageo, who didn't acquire CR until 2000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

I guess it could have gotten a bit tangled up since United Distillers owned S-W when it closed and became part of the merger that formed Diageo a few years which then went on to buy CR from Seagram's a few years later so it seems like just about anything is possible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe   
smokinjoe

I'd heard that rumor, too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT   
GaryT

Enjoying a pour of the PHC 13yr Wheat.  While not one of my favs in this series (which has more to do with the stellar competition in the PHC line than this whiskey) this is an interesting pour.  Absolutely prefer this over Bernheim Wheat - although making a note to try a blind SBS of this diluted to 90 proof to understand how much is the extra age (my BW is a private pick that was 9 yrs old) versus the extra proof.  Probably a bit of both.  But that's a job for another day.  Tonight - just enjoying the PHC with a couple drops of water.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz

Enjoying a sample of HW 14yo light whiskey supplied by a generous SBer. I love the light fruity notes and the creaminess this has. It's not something I'd drink every day but it's unique and delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz

It has become an "other American whiskey" kinda night. I'm now having some Seven Stills Sea Farmer cask strength whiskey. This is distilled from the Fieldwork Sea Farmer sea salt IPA. It really smells like an IPA, and that carries through on the palate with intense pine, grapefruit rind, and floral notes. Drinkable at full strength of 119 proof. Pretty good stuff, I'm curious how long this is aged for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT   
GaryT

Decided tonight was "another night", so lined up a blind SBS of the PHC 13yr Wheat (diluted to 90 proof) against a Bernheim Wheat.  To start, unless I had my eyes closed - the "blind" aspect didn't help.  Pretty stark color difference (and the NCF stands out - helped by the over-worked AC in my house!)

 

IMG_20170721_175239.thumb.jpg.24fc66dbba2c94ee05c5dcd9d9d64d76.jpg

 

Can you guess which is which?  Yeah - me too.  Oh well.  Was still instructive and interesting.  While by sight it was clear which was which, if my eyes were closed I'd have lost money on the nose.  The diluted PHC I found had really lost its nose.  I had to go turn on more lights after nosing as I thought for sure I had mixed them up.  Nope - at least tonight (any given Sunday, yada yada) the nose on the BW was far superior - and its nose is fairly tame.

 

On the palate - flip 180 and the PHC really shines.  The mouthfeel stands out as thicker and creamier, and just a much more intense dram.  Makes me think if they were to offer a 13 yr BW NCF offering, I'd go through it a whole lot faster than the current label.  Not the least bit over-oaked for my palate, and I'm not a fan of big oak - so what I might call "over-oaked" isn't even close for others.  More often than not, I'd prefer something higher proof than 90, but this 13yr Wheat really shines right there - for me this is head/shoulders above where it punches at the bottling proof of 127.4.  If I had another bottle of this, I'd go through the trouble of making samples at 90, 100, 107 proof - just to see where I really like it.  But I'll keep in mind that just under half again water is a pretty damn good mix, and enjoy the rest close to this.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kcgumbohead   
kcgumbohead

I attended the new product launch of a local micro distilleries latest offering, a mingle of malted rye and malted barley whiskey bottled at 88p. While at the distillery, ASW (American Spirit Works) I tried their other expressions as well, a sourced finished bourbon, an apple brandy and a rye. The new one is  dubbed "Duality" but I was too many samples in to feel like I could get a handle on it. It was pleasant but needs further investigation. I liked the brandy and the rye. The rye is 100% rye, its young but the flavors were good. I would love to try it at a higher proof, 100 would be great, ala WP as I really enjoy that and another 100% rye from a local ATL distillery would be a winner for me. This Duality is an interesting beast and per the lable and distillery its distilled, aged, bottled at ASW. I usually prefer higher proof offerings but the rye/barley combo intrigues me. Looking forward to sitting down with more than just a sample of this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn   
lcpfratn

I'm actually enjoying a few pours of TinCup Colorado American Whiskey. I received a bottle as a gift a few years ago, and initially didn't care for it too much, but it grew on me the more I drank it. Anyway, the half full bottle got lost in the cabinet under my bar, and I took it out the other day when I was digging for something else thinking that I probably needed to finish it off. I think it's gotten even better sitting for a few years. If you haven't tried it, it's reasonably priced, and while it's only 84 proof, it's a decent whiskey for the price.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn   
lcpfratn
1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I'm actually enjoying a few pours of TinCup Colorado American Whiskey. I received a bottle as a gift a few years ago, and initially didn't care for it too much, but it grew on me the more I drank it. Anyway, the half full bottle got lost in the cabinet under my bar, and I took it out the other day when I was digging for something else thinking that I probably needed to finish it off. I think it's gotten even better sitting for a few years. If you haven't tried it, it's reasonably priced, and while it's only 84 proof, it's a decent whiskey for the price.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I forgot to add that I'm pretty sure this is MGP sourced distillate, but it's still decent stuff for the price, which I believe is in the low to mid $20 range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane   
Kane

Last drops from a bottle of Stranahan's that's been sitting around for ~3 years without being gassed. It's incredible how this transformed from a pine+ethanol driven mess to liquid butterscotch pudding over the years. Now it is way too sweet, but at least enjoyable to some degree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tennessee Dave   
Tennessee Dave

IMG_6426.thumb.jpg.90a9da65ea270f555fad7d3a03d31a5b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

Did some damage today, among the victims was Dickel 9yr, Dickel 7yr and Barrell 6 & 8 (assumed to be Dickel) did nothing to change my opinion of Dickel as being a fantastic pour. Each was quite tasty but also brought different characteristics to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz

I'm finishing the night with a Westland hand-filled cask (cask #448, 117.2 proof) that a friend brought me from the distillery. I generally prefer their normal unpeated mashbill, but this is peated and it is very nice. It was aged 4 years in a first-fill ex Bourbon cask so the color is much lighter in color than their normal products aged in new charred oak. Lots of smoke on the nose and palate, but it has a nice cantaloupe fruitiness and turbinado sugar underlying it all that really balances it out. Another great product from Westland. More info on this cask is here: http://www.westlanddistillery.com/whiskey/handfilled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute   
flahute
On 9/15/2017 at 11:23 PM, Kpiz said:

I'm finishing the night with a Westland hand-filled cask (cask #448, 117.2 proof) that a friend brought me from the distillery. I generally prefer their normal unpeated mashbill, but this is peated and it is very nice. It was aged 4 years in a first-fill ex Bourbon cask so the color is much lighter in color than their normal products aged in new charred oak. Lots of smoke on the nose and palate, but it has a nice cantaloupe fruitiness and turbinado sugar underlying it all that really balances it out. Another great product from Westland. More info on this cask is here: http://www.westlanddistillery.com/whiskey/handfilled

I think you need to come up to the distillery. I will tour it with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz
I think you need to come up to the distillery. I will tour it with you.


I will gladly take you up on that! I’ve been to their facility once but that was more than two years ago. Perhaps it’s time for a Seattle visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1   
graftonbc1

Virginia Distillery Highland Malt. It is one very nice whisky.

 

Ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×