What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Stranahan's yellow label. Once again, this tastes unlike any other Stranahan's I've had before. A different whiskey in every bottle :)

On 3/8/2018 at 8:15 PM, Kane said:

Stranahan's yellow label. Once again, this tastes unlike any other Stranahan's I've had before. A different whiskey in every bottle :)

Indeed. While it can make it an interesting whiskey to try it also makes you wonder (well, it makes me wonder anyway) why it can be so different from batch to batch. I suppose it could be because each batch is a blend of barrels from different ages and they don't have the huge stocks of whiskey that the big boys have to hit a fairly consistent profile.

Scored another 14yo, 106 proof Dickel on short driving business trip-- left another 8 on the shelf. From what I can tell, these were bottled in 2012.

IMG_8858.thumb.JPG.77f1a6e37b1ba6795e6146063515547d.JPG

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Scored another 14yo, 106 proof Dickel on short driving business trip-- left another 8 on the shelf. From what I can tell, these were bottled in 2012.

IMG_8858.thumb.JPG.77f1a6e37b1ba6795e6146063515547d.JPG

Admittedly jealous.

Picked this up at a tasting today. Similar to the heaven hill trybox series but a tad better in my opinion

20180313_185748.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to think about this one. Getting some weird after taste hanging around after the finish 

F8D012F1-7765-423C-A19C-07AF4AFB86F8.jpeg

7 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

Not sure what to think about this one. Getting some weird after taste hanging around after the finish 

F8D012F1-7765-423C-A19C-07AF4AFB86F8.jpeg

What's the DSP number?

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^Pre/post fire (and switch back to 31).

Well up until not that long ago it was actually a product of DSP 354 (Brown Forman) much like Rittenhouse and a number of other HH products after the fire.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Well up until not that long ago it was actually a product of DSP 354 (Brown Forman) much like Rittenhouse and a number of other HH products after the fire.

Correct, to clarify my lazy original post... it went from 31 (pre-fire) to Brown-Forman (354) back to HH (actually now using DSP 1).

On 12/15/2017 at 1:09 PM, Guss West said:

The Sorghum Whisky from High Wire is interesting.  An excellent educational bottle and a decent sipper too.  Wonder how this stuff would age? 

Interesting there is little chatter on High Wire on SB. 

This bottle has been open for a few months and the air time has done a lot of good. 

Doing some research on sorghum whiskey, it seems this is as much a sorghum agricole as it is whiskey.  An interesting story. 

With this info in mind, the pour made a lot more sense, with as much (perhaps more) in common with rum as whiskey. 

On 3/28/2018 at 11:06 AM, Guss West said:

Interesting there is little chatter on High Wire on SB. 

This bottle has been open for a few months and the air time has done a lot of good. 

Doing some research on sorghum whiskey, it seems this is as much a sorghum agricole as it is whiskey.  An interesting story. 

With this info in mind, the pour made a lot more sense, with as much (perhaps more) in common with rum as whiskey. 

I think I have the sorghum bottle. Somewhere.

Recently got a strong recommendation from a source that generally has a pretty good palate for the High Wire Southern Revival Jimmy Red bourbon but I haven't tried it myself. It is a 2yo and I have no idea about the barrels used so I was hoping to try it before considering buying. Then again I haven't even seen a bottle of it yet.

On 4/1/2018 at 11:15 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Recently got a strong recommendation from a source that generally has a pretty good palate for the High Wire Southern Revival Jimmy Red bourbon but I haven't tried it myself. It is a 2yo and I have no idea about the barrels used so I was hoping to try it before considering buying. Then again I haven't even seen a bottle of it yet.

Their website indicates 53 gallon barrels which is promising. Really intrigued by the description of the corn they use, especially the part about the high oil content. I think experimentation with different grain varieties is one way craft distilleries can make a difference and push the industry forward so I'm always pleased to hear about distillers like this. Please do let us know if you get a chance to try it.

• I like it 1

Loving everything out of Westland. Had some Garryana 2017 and Cask No. 741.

1 hour ago, KyleCBreese said:

Loving everything out of Westland. Had some Garryana 2017 and Cask No. 741.

Having a pour of Westland Peated after wrestling with the screw cap for 10 minutes or so, I have a Battlehill Laphroaig that I get bananas out of kind of in that Tennessee Whiskey way but compared to this Westland it is virtually unnoticeable, I don't dislike it but it definitely makes it more of an occasional pour.  Is that something common in their whiskeys? The Peated and the Sherry Malt are the only ones I have had myself.

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Having a pour of Westland Peated after wrestling with the screw cap for 10 minutes or so, I have a Battlehill Laphroaig that I get bananas out of kind of in that Tennessee Whiskey way but compared to this Westland it is virtually unnoticeable, I don't dislike it but it definitely makes it more of an occasional pour.  Is that something common in their whiskeys? The Peated and the Sherry Malt are the only ones I have had myself.

I haven't noticed the banana in their lineup but I may not be very sensitive to whatever compounds are responsible for that flavor because I don't find it very pronounced in Tennessee whiskeys either. I will say though that I think the "American Oak" is the star of their core product range, with the peated and sherry some ways behind. I've seen varying opinions on which of their whiskeys is "best" so my opinion is by no means the consensus. If you're a peatophile then the American Oak may seem lacking. With that said, a friend brought me a bottle that he filled himself at the distillery in Seattle (apparently WA liquor laws allow for such a thing) that is peated and it is excellent.

Anyways, I always have an open bottle of the American Oak so I can get you a taster if you don't want to invest in a whole bottle.

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

I haven't noticed the banana in their lineup but I may not be very sensitive to whatever compounds are responsible for that flavor because I don't find it very pronounced in Tennessee whiskeys either. I will say though that I think the "American Oak" is the star of their core product range, with the peated and sherry some ways behind. I've seen varying opinions on which of their whiskeys is "best" so my opinion is by no means the consensus. If you're a peatophile then the American Oak may seem lacking. With that said, a friend brought me a bottle that he filled himself at the distillery in Seattle (apparently WA liquor laws allow for such a thing) that is peated and it is excellent.

Anyways, I always have an open bottle of the American Oak so I can get you a taster if you don't want to invest in a whole bottle.

Thanks Kyle interesting how different peoples palates can be, I don't even find that note to be offensive but I do find it in a lot of whiskey (also in many Belgian and German wheat beers). 

Edited by kevinbrink

I'm enjoying some jack Daniel's barrel proof. It's so good! First time trying it and I'm not disappointed. 435f2edff18db6926f7b179ffc3c195d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well considering that this has Polish Rye, Scotch and Irish whiskey in the blend not sure where this belongs but I'm going with this thread, I would be interested to know what the Scottish Whisky component is, I would guess a grain whiskey based on the profile which I think I would guess as an Irish Whiskey if I tasted blind. This is really pretty interesting and enjoyable. 

y4mdVgv-AmAi2ZB1vnjvHfYK2DhQS4591lfcsIK9

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...