What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Got a hankerin' for some corn whiskey.  The always pleasing Dixie Dew delivers.

image.jpg

J. Reiger Kansas City Whiskey.  It is might fine stuff.  It is a sourced whiskey from LDP but that is ok.  Seems to be a blend of straight rye, corn and malt.  A small amount of sherry is added ( apparently this was not an uncommon practice to 19th century whiskey makers).  It pairs great with cigar.

• 3 weeks later...

Bernheim straight wheat 7 y/o.  Needs a little water to tame some heat I don't recall from the last bottle, but is otherwise quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Colts, I needed something to take my mind off it.  I raided the bunker and opened some Mellow Corn BIB.  Sometimes I forget how good this is: almost bourbon, very mild and easy for 100 proof.

A freshly cracked replacement JDSBBP has been in the rotation this week.  

I've noticed that once I open a bottle of this it doesn't seem to last very long, as it seems to keep jumping into my glass.  :o

On 9/16/2016 at 8:27 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

IMG_3994.jpg

Interestingly enough, I have never tried this before.  However, I found a bottle tonight for $21.24 so I thought what the?  Let's give it a try.  I will be honest that I am finding a similarity with OGDBIB, except I am finding the heat that Eric describes above.  This is interesting since one is a wheat whiskey and the other is a high rye bourbon.  I suspect the heat is what is creating the similarity.   That or the gyro that I had earlier.  :lol:

Vikre "Sugarbush" whisky.

its from Vikre Distillery out of Duluth Minnesota. 

Whisky aged in Port cask for I believe 2 years. Then finished in Maple casks that held Maple Syrup 

image.jpeg

Edited by BigPapa

Following up the IB Bowmore with a pour of Bernheim.  Oddly enough, this isn't clashing at all.  The Bernheim now tastes like I'm drinking honey and toffee straight from the tap.  Heck yeah.  I love this stuff.

On 9/24/2016 at 5:29 PM, garbanzobean said:

Following up the IB Bowmore with a pour of Bernheim.  Oddly enough, this isn't clashing at all.  The Bernheim now tastes like I'm drinking honey and toffee straight from the tap.  Heck yeah.  I love this stuff.

Gutsy move - I don't think I'd even attempt to follow peat with wheat, but maybe I should be a little more daring.

I was able to try the Westland Garryana at WhiskyFest SF on Friday night and thought it was very good. My tasting ability was probably a bit impaired at that point but I did pick up some of that bbq-saucey flavor supposedly imparted from the Oregon Oak (aka Quercus Garryana). Will have to try it again on a fresh palate.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Kpiz said:

Gutsy move - I don't think I'd even attempt to follow peat with wheat, but maybe I should be a little more daring.

I was able to try the Westland Garryana at WhiskyFest SF on Friday night and thought it was very good. My tasting ability was probably a bit impaired at that point but I did pick up some of that bbq-saucey flavor supposedly imparted from the Oregon Oak (aka Quercus Garryana). Will have to try it again on a fresh palate.

I agree. But it does warrant another try (or two!) on a fresh palate.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:47 PM, Kpiz said:

Honestly it worked out great that night.  I'll have to try it again soon.

Finishing up a bottle of Venus Wayward Single Malt. I really enjoyed this malt despite some of the youthful notes it exhibited (it was only aged 6mos). I'll certainly continue to buy this if they keep releasing it with more age, because I think this could be fantastic after just a few years in the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I polished off the last pour of a Bernheim 7 yr tonight.  It doesn't have a great nose or finish, but the further into the bottle you get, the more it grows on you.

Somehow gremlins have already knocked out the first 2/3rd of this bottle of Bernheim.  That is why I can't buy this one too often.

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

Somehow gremlins have already knocked out the first 2/3rd of this bottle of Bernheim.  That is why I can't buy this one too often.

Too damn easy drinking, isn't it Eric! 

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Too damn easy drinking, isn't it Eric! 

Yes!  You pour yourself a glass and it tastes pretty good.  Next thing you know, you're on pour three.

11 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Yes!  You pour yourself a glass and it tastes pretty good.  Next thing you know, you're on pour three.

This is what I refer to as a "get stupid" bourbon. :P

I'm sad to report that I gave a bottle of Bernheim and an older dusty of Johnny Drum to some Finnish guys we do business with, and they didn't like the Bernheim at all (as much as Fins hate any alcohol, the bottle still got destroyed in a single night, apparently).  At least they loved the Johnny Drum.  

Guess I'll just stick to bourbon next time.

I took a Berheim 7 yr to a party tonight.  It was promptly opened, consumed, and retired to the bin, in what can only be described as easy drinking, efficiency.

Dry Fly Distilling - Tritacle Whiskey - aged 3 years.  The spice of rye and the softness of wheat = a nice neat slow sipper

Dry Fly Tritacale Whiskey.jpg