What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Enjoying some local ATL distillate in the form of ASWs Duality, 50/50 malted barley &malted rye. I got this when it debuted and as it was a distillery event, when factoring in food and other included items it was quite reasonable. I definitely get the malted barely and the rye spice is quite muted, how much of that is a result of malted vs. un I cannot say . I can say I find this a very enjoyable change of pace pour, I get a biscoff cookie kind of thing from it. I would get this again and I can’t say that of most craft. They are a young distillery but philosophically they are on a promising track, doing some different things vs. trying to out bourbon established majors (good idea IMO). This bottle has been open several months and I have grown fond of it. Looking forward seeing how ASW evolves, they have a 100% rye I am looking forward to once it gets some age on it.

First impressions are good. Very much a ready to drink cocktail of sorts without the sugar. The inherent sweetness of the Dickel pairs well with the pepper.

IMG_9498.thumb.JPG.099070c75aa5ff4c4728d1dfa681b242.JPG

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

First impressions are good. Very much a ready to drink cocktail of sorts without the sugar. The inherent sweetness of the Dickel pairs well with the pepper.

IMG_9498.thumb.JPG.099070c75aa5ff4c4728d1dfa681b242.JPG

Color me shocked. Based on your postings, it looks like you have tasted 500x the whisk(e)y I have, so to have you declare this anything but a gimmick is a surprise. I'll pick up a airplane bottle if I can find it. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Color me shocked. Based on your postings, it looks like you have tasted 500x the whisk(e)y I have, so to have you declare this anything but a gimmick is a surprise. I'll pick up a airplane bottle if I can find it. 

I saw it on the shelf last week but couldn't find enough motivation to pull the trigger. As always, if someone offers me some I will be happy to try it!

On 5/28/2018 at 7:59 PM, kevinbrink said:

This is really pretty damn strange and I love it. 

y4mdC65l8Mz04iaDO0gt1Sz4gZeo0raTq__6qcrT

I tried to get this when it first came out but had no luck. Then the local distributor rep reported he had some show up and let me try it. I liked it enough to ask for a bottle as well so hopefully I will have it soon! Finished in plum wine casks I think but I got more of a hint of apricot than plum. Strange to be sure but in a very interesting way!

• I like it 1

Finally opened this little craft bottle I bought last fall - Hewn Spirits Reclamation American Single Malt, finished with Chestnut.  92 proof, and no age statement (I bought this at their shop up in Bucks County, PA - if I recall, it might be 2 yrs old).  Their innovation if you will is finishing in reclaimed wood - so this chestnut was wood they reclaimed from who knows where.  It is what I would call interesting - not something I'd buy again, but not something I'll dump out either.

IMG_20180601_165422.thumb.jpg.9511bdd5b30abf46fbcf770a596cd29f.jpg

Finally finishing off this hand-filled bottle someone brought me from the Westland Distillery a couple years ago. I was hesitant to finish it because it’s really good, but I wanted to at least finish it before it started taking a turn for the worse.

IMG_1717.JPG

Some post flight 14yo... Tullahoma makes me happy. 

IMG_9500.thumb.JPG.5d3578c58b8f7ac1e36f65a938d7b8de.JPG

• I like it 2

On 5/26/2018 at 9:45 PM, Kane said:

Yeah. I haven't touched that Death's Door since when, 2013?

IMG_20180526_214309.jpg

I've been going back to Mellow Corn non-stop since I opened the bottle last week. Having a double pour now. It's perfect in this hot & humid weather when I'm not in the mood for analyzing what I drink. I'll try it in the freezer next.

• I like it 1

"Crafted for Bold Flavor & Exceptional Smoothness"

"Bold Smooth Classic"

I realize I can be a bit of a cranky old fart, but is 90 proof really "Bold"? Then again, I suppose compared next to standard JD it could be construed as bold. The Barrel Proof bottle I have, now that's bold! 

Naturally, I say all this without ever having tried the Sinatra :) 

16 hours ago, Vosgar said:

"Crafted for Bold Flavor & Exceptional Smoothness"

"Bold Smooth Classic"

I realize I can be a bit of a cranky old fart, but is 90 proof really "Bold"? Then again, I suppose compared next to standard JD it could be construed as bold. The Barrel Proof bottle I have, now that's bold! 

Naturally, I say all this without ever having tried the Sinatra :) 

Bold AND smooth though.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, BigPapa said:

Anyone try the Woodford Reserve Malt whisky?
Curious on this one.

Just can't bring myself to buy one. But if I see a bottle at as bar I may give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the local ATL ASW distillery Duality malted barley/rye mash up. Bottle about 1/2 gone and I continue to enjoy it. This is one of those change of pace pours that is different enough and enjoyable enough that its carved out a spot in my collection. I will likely replace it once empty but that will take a good while at the rate I am consuming it.

I had all but forgotten about Little Book until I saw it at the hotel bar today. Quite a stout and flavorful contender in the midst of the other mainstream $14.00 pours. I'll revisit it tomorrow.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I had all but forgotten about Little Book until I saw it at the hotel bar today. Quite a stout and flavorful contender in the midst of the other mainstream $14.00 pours. I'll revisit it tomorrow.

I was pleasantly surprised with Little Book, and like you it was by far the best deal at the bar when I had it. 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, BigPapa said:

Anyone try the Woodford Reserve Malt whisky?
Curious on this one.

I'm on my second bottle. I find it a great change of pace whiskey. Nice mouth feel, almost a bit creamy and the finish was Malted milk balls..

I really need to try a different bottle of Little Book. Mine was a top contender for worst whiskey of the year so I am damn sure  not going to buy another one!

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda been kicking myself the last two years for leaving this on a shelf @ retail. 

Finally got to try it this weekend. 

I like it, but I’m now at peace with not buying the bottle.

AC0A551B-B42B-4FBA-B9BA-902A2E09CCB5.jpeg

On 6/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, Marekv8 said:

Some post flight 14yo... Tullahoma makes me happy. 

IMG_9500.thumb.JPG.5d3578c58b8f7ac1e36f65a938d7b8de.JPG

That is a really nice pour there!

had a BBQ followed by a campfire last night so decided it was a good time to crack the Balcones Brimstone open. I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed by the smokiness... The reviews and word I'd seen implied this was a polarizing whiskey due to the smoke but really I didnt find it to be that smoky, maybe just being a fan of peat I was prepared to be smoked out.

that aside, I found it quite pleasant to drink, a smoky cola note came through and a spicy ginger finish, and lots of corn. Not great but certainly one I shall return to the next time there's meat on the grill.

Mellow Corn in my bloody mary. Yummy.