What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

This is really, really fantastic.

y4ml70Rb39lKm-MtYGcmxmHytGDuySwr0FF_Asqy

So, what is it really? All I can find is JD's marketing material, which insists that it is a very unique whiskey by putting at least 5 mentions of "unique" in each paragraph. It's priced about the same as the BP, how does it compare?

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

So, what is it really? All I can find is JD's marketing material, which insists that it is a very unique whiskey by putting at least 5 mentions of "unique" in each paragraph. It's priced about the same as the BP, how does it compare?

I like it more than the last few JD BP bottles I have had/tried, according to the tag it was aged in long toasted low char barrels with a barrel entry proof of 100 and aged on the top floors of the higher elevation rickhouses. It's not a bruiser like the BP but it is full bodied and rich at 100 proof and for me that is a plus. 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:49 PM, mthegodfather said:

Phillips blended whiskey. $3 double rail pours at local Mexican restaurant.

I'm... Sorry? ?

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, mthegodfather said:

It was pretty harsh. I had never tried it and it was $3.

Haha, thanks for taking the bullet and trying, though  it retails for close to $10 for 1L, so you still may have overpaid. :- )

• I like it 1

y4ml70Rb39lKm-MtYGcmxmHytGDuySwr0FF_Asqy1dmkFd0vhbRi7Dg4ey5Nm7r6PQs-aqb3vKE3wO8jINBJcozF5RPGpSg7EWwP6lEHmXFTRsKwaetQATBiN9bCy4d9dEj9GTDZG5-65qNYpJKgCWPEQHKWDdkg3x_HljmY8epJpGBHadMPFmPFWjYeYl_yAit?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Glad to hear it. I figured that I was going to like it and was able to find a few bottles at retail, but I haven’t opened one yet.
  • I like it 1

I don’t drink JD, but this is very good juice. 5F1D7AC0-B14A-4EB3-A001-5B0EBBA451DF.thumb.jpeg.4454c30c807aaebe659375f3c0c090b7.jpeg

I will definitely buy another to put up for later. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I don’t drink JD, but this is very good juice. 5F1D7AC0-B14A-4EB3-A001-5B0EBBA451DF.thumb.jpeg.4454c30c807aaebe659375f3c0c090b7.jpeg

I will definitely buy another to put up for later. 

I don't drink much JD but I do enjoy the Single Barrel and the Barrel Proof.  This caught my eye, I'm very curious what the lower barrel entry proof will do to it.  I ordered a bottle and am waiting for delivery right now.  I'm glad to hear good things about it, this is probably the most excited I have ever been for a JD release.

This is pretty fantastic, even better with a little water, it reminds me vaguely of peated Loch Lomond, not priced bad either at under $50 for a craft whiskey with a fairly impressive age statement.

y4mzjODV7-BmdNqkvqQHgmrnhYqf1Id08gZpeJSa

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This is pretty fantastic, even better with a little water, it reminds me vaguely of peated Loch Lomond, not priced bad either at under $50 for a craft whiskey with a fairly impressive age statement.

y4mzjODV7-BmdNqkvqQHgmrnhYqf1Id08gZpeJSa

Great price for what it is in the current climate. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of Balcones Single Malt from 2013 for $58. I’ve always passed on their products but went for it since it was the best price I’ve seen. I get a burnt popcorn note from it, though I know there is no corn in there. It’s not bad, but I’ll probably continue to pass in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's something to talk about.

IMG_20181221_214433.thumb.jpg.507c743ee6894a1e4371c03585229461.jpg

This is Lot 14, the Whiskey Advocate craft of the year at the time. Give this to me blind, and there's no way I'd know this is craft whiskey. It doesn't drink hot, young, or anything else offensive. VERY VERY mild mellow nose and palate, but the complexity is there, you discover something new with each sip, you just gotta work hard and earn it! Lime & pear on the nose, similar taste but very pronounced coffee & cocoa powder towards the finish. Nice ginger bite on the tongue, wait 5min for that to wear off and you get the more traditional malt and toffee.

Very well done St. George, I'm truly impressed at the "craft" here. I don't have a lot of comparable malts open today, but SBS it wipes the floor with Compass Box Spice Tree, and it stays very much relevant next to the greatness of a Glenlivet Nadurra 16yr. I bought this bottle on release on a whim knowing jack about malt whisky back then. I'm glad I did.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

A 9 year old PS SiB at 103 proof for less than $35? Yes please. Oh, and it actually tastes good.

IMG_0768.jpg

Bernheim 7 yr wheat whiskey to finish up the night.  Though not a bourbon, quite possibly an ideal whiskey to introduce someone looking to start on the bourbon journey.  It’s bourbon-like in taste, but with a softness and sweetness as to not overwhelm the newly initiated.  Plus, it has enough age to bring in an Oak influence, and enough ABV at 45% to keep it interesting.  Nice night ender with some cookies, too...  :D  

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kane said:

Heating's broken. This calls for a 2pm Mellow Corn.

You going to drink it, or you going to light it, or both?:D

45 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You going to drink it, or you going to light it, or both?:D

So many ways to enjoy it, what a versatile pour this is!

• 2 months later...

I'm really enjoying Michter's American as a night cap or last pour of the night dessert type whiskey. I cleared the only store in town that carries it out of stock just out of fear the next batch wouldn't be the same.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, kevinbrink said:

y4ml70Rb39lKm-MtYGcmxmHytGDuySwr0FF_Asqy

When I saw chocolate featured in the tasting notes, that got my attention and I was interested in picking one up. I had no idea this was limited, I thought it was a line extension. I was told GA got only 30+ bottles. I immediately moved on and have never yet  seen one. Too bad as it looks and sounds very good, they should have made more.

When I saw chocolate featured in the tasting notes, that got my attention and I was interested in picking one up. I had no idea this was limited, I thought it was a line extension. I was told GA got only 30+ bottles. I immediately moved on and have never yet  seen one. Too bad as it looks and sounds very good, they should have made more.

It is some of the best JD I’ve ever tasted. Perhaps I’ll bring a bottle to the GN gazebo in April.
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

It is some of the best JD I’ve ever tasted. Perhaps I’ll bring a bottle to the GN gazebo in April.

I plan to shop for it on the way to Bardstown. I am unwilling to jump through hoops for LEs which is the only reason I gave up on it. A taste would be great, I am unlikely to find it but very intrigued by the process and tasting notes.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Promise?  :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Perhaps! emoji12.png

LMFAO!  Thanks Jeff. Ya just gotta love it.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1