Jack Daniles Gold no27

Andre28
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The marketing spiel is here:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gold

Picked this up at Sydney Duty Free. Gotta say on the whole, pretty disappointing. The Silver Select at $20 a bottle less would have been a much better choice. The double filtering seems to rob more of the character, with the double barreling not adding anything. It is also 80 proof, so that isnt helping either. On the whole id say it is very smooth, but quite bland. Ill give it another try in a few weeks maybe and write some tasting notes (if any occur).

Gentleman Jack with a maple barrel finish, pretty much... And your description pretty much says the same thing.

Interesting. Too bad it's only 80 proof. And too bad its bland. I see they have a barrel aged Rye coming out shortly also from the same link you supplied.

Interesting. Too bad it's only 80 proof. And too bad its bland. I see they have a barrel aged Rye coming out shortly also from the same link you supplied.

The "rested"rye is out at 2yo as a "work in progress". Come complete with a bunch of bananas!

Gentleman Jack with a maple barrel finish, pretty much... And your description pretty much says the same thing.

The marketing spiel is here:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gold

Picked this up at Sydney Duty Free. Gotta say on the whole, pretty disappointing. The Silver Select at $20 a bottle less would have been a much better choice. The double filtering seems to rob more of the character, with the double barreling not adding anything. It is also 80 proof, so that isnt helping either. On the whole id say it is very smooth, but quite bland. Ill give it another try in a few weeks maybe and write some tasting notes (if any occur).

Whoah that was more than the silver select? Gotta love their marketing department

yeah, thats twice now, paid a pretty penny for a gold medal something or other once before. Thats it now. Mix number 7 with coke, or get the SB silver select for on the rocks. Probably wont be for a while though. Ill give this gold another try now and again, but I see it becoming the whiskey in home cocktails like sours or old fashions.

Im just glad I didnt get more than 1. We are allowed 2.25 litres back in the country duty free, so I was seriously considering getting more than 1.

• 11 months later...

Jack daniels green label? What can you guys tell me about this? How is it different from the Black label? Im up in New York visiting the wifes family and was wondering whether it's worth picking up..

In years past green label was a lower proof, perhaps slightly less mature, cheaper alternative to black label. Now that they are both 4ish years old and 80 proof it would seem the main difference between the two is price.

I saw a special about JD on one of the cable channels a couple of years ago. They were talking about the fact that there is more seasonal temperature variation the higher in the warehouse one goes. The barrels destined for black label JD were in the upper zone, while those destined for green label were on the ground level and maybe a couple of levels up from there.

I have to wonder how much they sell of the GL; I've never seen anyone buy it.

This is as good a place to air out a theory of mine. An Oregon distillery - Bull Run - sells a sourced bourbon, "Temperance Trader." The various batches have shown on the back label three different areas of origin - Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The first time I saw one of the last, I wondered Who in Tennessee is making so much bourbon that they have a surplus to sell to a NDA?

I'm speculating that it's JD make, originally destined to be JDGL...because, as we all know, the only reason JD is not labelled "bourbon" is because B-F chooses not to label it as bourbon...

Edited by CorvallisCracker

Frankly I can't remember when the JD green label wasn't on local shelves but perhaps that's a regional thing. Up until recently there was always a proof/price difference between Black and Green and we supposed age difference as well.

Help me out guys, I don't recall ever seeing an age statement on Green label but back in the 1960s - 70s didn't Black label have a 5+ year age statement in the small print on the back label?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.