BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The connection to the Derby and marketing focused on the picturesque distillery have helped the brand image too.

I like it at $25 a bottle. $35 a bottle, not so much.

That's kinda my point. Many here may feel the same way you do M, and the QPR problem is similar to what many have said in this thread. But, there are a whole lot of folks, who apparently think the opposite. And, the numbers are supporting them.

But, there are a whole lot of folks, who apparently think the opposite. And, the numbers are supporting them.

I know quite a few bourbon drinkers who drink Woodford. But I'm not sure I know any bourbon enthusiast who drinks Woodford, for all of the previous stated reasons

I know quite a few bourbon drinkers who drink Woodford. But I'm not sure I know any bourbon enthusiast who drinks Woodford, for all of the previous stated reasons

Hey Phil,here's a little secret to just keep between you and me...Don 't broadcast this to the rest of the board, or I'll catch a lot of s?!#...but, many enthusiasts don't drink Woodford (or say they don't drink it) for the same reason they don't drink Makers, Basil Hayden, Jack, and some others...because it's instant Bourbonia street cred to say you don't...ssssshhhhhhhh......;)

I dislike it so much you couldn't pay me $35 to drink it. Ha!

Hey Phil,here's a little secret to just keep between you and me...Don 't broadcast this to the rest of the board, or I'll catch a lot of s?!#...but, many enthusiasts don't drink Woodford (or say they don't drink it) for the same reason they don't drink Makers, Basil Hayden, Jack, and some others...because it's instant Bourbonia street cred to say you don't...ssssshhhhhhhh......;)

....as he takes another pull off the frosty WR bottle freshly pulled from the 'fridge. :shocked:

• 1 month later...
I think standard Woodford has arguably the best nose in bourbon. This is the bourbon that started my hobby. The butterscotch/raisin combination is heaven in a bottle on the nose. The palate...while tasty, it never quite lives up to the nose for me. There is something slightly rough on the mid-palate that just seems a bit off balance.

I posted these observations in early May going off memory of my last bottle 12 months ago. Just picked up another bottle on sale. This new one is the first one I've found where the mid-palate roughness seemed completely absent, while maintaining its gorgeous, heavenly nose. I'm very impressed....best bottle I've had of this by far, and among the best pours I've tasted in the last couple of months. I picked up two more of the same batch!

I haven't had any Woodford in years, never cared for it.

All I remember about it is the metallic taste.

I haven't had any Woodford in years, never cared for it.

All I remember about it is the metallic taste.

Oh, that metallic taste is still there... It is really shocking to me how popular WR is, and I give them kudos for pulling that off, because it simply isn't very good IMHO. I was at a party a few weeks ago, and they had an open bottle of WR. Mind you, I had brought an unopened bottle of FRSB to the party, but I took a nice pour of the WR, and it was really hard for me to drink. Just not my thing. So I opened up the FRSB, all was well, and together with other bourbon drinkers at the party, the FRSB bottle was almost gone by the end of the night.

Yeah, I had certainly noticed the metallic taste in all of the bottles I had tried before...and it was curiously absent in this most recent batch.

WR was the first bottle that I bought a couple months ago when I started getting in to this hobby. Initially, I liked it and I didn't get the metallic taste that I had read so much about on here. But now, after tasting others, (KC, WTRB, EWSB, EC12, and my new favorite- Eagle Rare) I revisited the WR and found it to be very thin and lacking body to me. It was a 375mL bottle and after that most recent underwhelming pour, the rest of it went into a cheesecake (that my wife said was one of the best she has ever tasted) and then into a brine for smoked pork butt.

Maybe they finally got those pot stills fully seasoned.

• 6 months later...

Got a bottle of this as a present this past Christmas. I think I was a quarter of the way through the bottle, and I still could not fully wrap my head around what I was tasting, and it was such a stark contrast to my usuals. Just very flat, and that taste that others have described as metallic on the first sip really just dominates so much.

That said, the rest of the bottle has become my go to for manhattans and old fashioned cocktails. It's really easy to augment it's flatness with some sweetness, and orange bitters are its friend. Had I paid retail for this bottle though ($47 Canabucks), I would feel bad mixing it it up.

I hated it the first several times I tried to like it. Don't know why. But now, for whatever reason, it's lack of complexity makes it appealing. Just sip-enjoy-no thinking. It's taste is unique to me. Double Oaked amps it up a little more, so I do like it a bit more to purchase it over regular Woodford next go round.

• 1 month later...

I had some of this last night and I could have sworn it was Scotch. Literally. I even had the waitress double check. Maybe I was off of my game but the bottle I have at home tastes vastly different from what I had last night. I will revisit this this evening. ;)

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've been off for a good while, but glad to be back!

Is it still the case that WR is blend of Versailles and BrownForman Louisville?

And are any these new select editions Chris is doing strictly Versailles juice?

Thanks!

On 4/8/2015 at 2:42 PM, Wild1z said:

I had some of this last night and I could have sworn it was Scotch. Literally. I even had the waitress double check. Maybe I was off of my game but the bottle I have at home tastes vastly different from what I had last night. I will revisit this this evening. ;)

This is honestly what I think everytime I drink this.  That being said, I'd prefer scotch ? 

WR was never something I kept around. It always tasted like a combo of copper penny and wheat bread and didn't make me crave a repeat pour. I did pick up a bottle of DO when it first came out and thought it was okay. Mrs. Mosugoji and I did the tasting at WR last Spring just for fun and to spend some time hanging out at the beautiful distillery. Based on what they were pouring that day, I think they may have improved the blend and turned out something I may buy. They dialed back the copper penny and created something much more appealing. The DO, in particular, I thought was good. Still haven't gotten around to buying one, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing one home if I found it on sale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, mark fleetwood said:

Hi all,

I've been off for a good while, but glad to be back!

Is it still the case that WR is blend of Versailles and BrownForman Louisville?

And are any these new select editions Chris is doing strictly Versailles juice?

Thanks!

It is still mostly Old Fo whiskey from Louisville, yes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.